Electric Fan ????

NazztyMonte

One of the most powerful and with a perfect fit is the Flex-a-lite-292.

I have it on my car and it works awesome...having a shroud like it does increases the effectiveness greatly with 4,600 cfm.

Here's a link...Click Here

Bill

flx-292.jpg

Bill's is probably the best possible.

I run a single Flexalite Black Magic Fan, it does really well too, although I wish it had a larger shroud like Bill's. Flexalite also has the Black Magic Extreme, which does have a larger shroud. The regular fan costs $200, and the extreme costs $300. The regular flows 2800cfm, and the extreme flows 3300cfm. Compare those to Bill's which flows 4600cfm, and costs $500. You might also look at the FLX-298, which I think is the same fan, but at a lower cost. It may not have the thermostat or something.

Here is a pic of the regular Black Magic:

flx-175.jpg

and Here is a pic of the Extreme:

flx-180_w.jpg

i run a dual 12" felx-a-lite it pulls 2500cfm of air car hasnt ran any hotter then 190°. also has an alum raditor which might keep the temp down some. i have the fans to come on at 190° it also dont pull air though any a/c parts as i did away with a/c i do have a trans cooler which it pulls air though and the trans temp hasnt got above 160° and that was on a 40 mile trip

Not sure the size of the 1st gen radiator but i use a Linclon Mark VIII fan, pulls 4500CFM on high The dimensions of this fan are 22"W x 18.5"H x 6.25"D with a built in shroud. Got mine for $20 in the bone yard.

MarkVIII_Fan_Front.jpg

MarkVIII_Fan_Rear.jpg

An LS1 Camaro/Firebird dual fan setup fits the radiator perfectly. You will need to make a set of custom brackets to mount it. Installed this setup on mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the junkyard route is the way to go for me. Is there a preference of fan to get or just one that is big and will fit the dimension of the radiator? Do you guys notice the engine getting dirty quicker with the huge shroud being gone? Also what would you expect for a horsepower gain on a stock system, 2or3? One last thing how do these fans know when to kick on? Do they hook up to where the stock temp sensor is on the drivers side of the block?

Some cars have single fans and others have dual. Try to find something as big as you can that will still fit. I guess it wouldn't hurt to target cars with big engines, that way you know the setup is able to cool your Monte. You can't have too much.

As for the wiring to hook it all up, the local parts store should have the kit you need with the temp sensor and relay. The kit I got has a temp probe that simply pushes into the fins of the radiator. There are kits available with pre-set relays, and kits with adjustable relays. The adjustment lets you dial in what temperature you want the fans to come on. I have used both types and they both work fine, but the adjustable unit costs more and ended up being set to about where the pre-set unit was anyway....

I'm not sure of the HP gains; I'd guess 14? For me the big difference was in the noise. At highway cruise, there is enough airflow that my electric fans aren't needed. That monster stock fan makes quite a racket spinning at 3000rpm, so now it's much quieter inside the car with the electric setup.

find yourself a SPAL dual 11" fan setup, fairly cheap compared to the dual setup above and works very well. I had a cheap 16" and it would overheat in traffic. I switched it out and there is a huge difference! check this out

spaldual.jpghttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-11-H...sspagenameZWDVW

Wallaby- did you have a clutch fan? That shouldn't have made much racket- unless the clutch was toast. Those solid mount non-clutch aftermarket fans are junk and the plastic ones are even worse- they gobble way more hp than a stock clutch fan.

I have the dual spals in my Camaro and they work great. The only issue I have is how hard it hits the electrical system when it comes on- and I have relays and all that.

I am considering getting one of these controllers from this guy: http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm The controller makes the fans come on slowly so they don't slam your electrical system. There are other benefits to this thing versus having the fans just turn on and off through a switch. He says you don't even need relays. Spal has a similar set up, but this guy seems decent and really into his product.

I've seen posts on pro-touring that say he is super busy though.

I have a clutch fan on my Monte and that works fine, but if I did go electric, I'd get a Mark VIII. Crazy amount of CFM with Ford engineering. (I'm not a Ford guy, but I'd go with "big-three" oem vs aftermarket any day.)

• 1 month later...

These are the fans I just conned my buddy out of devil(Hee, Hee,Hee..)I asked a couple of guys in the shout box but would like some opinions if you got any.San Antonio,Texas gets really HOT, and just wonder if I would be okay running them before the radiator since they don't quite fit under the shroud.A buddy of mine had a '71 and got rid of his shroud and all Hell broke loose.Of course that was with a stock clutch fan.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/madmacs210/Monteparts002.jpg

yeah, you run a clutch fan w/o a shroud, and the fan is sucking air from everywhere EXCEPT thru the radiator.. the air will flow thru the path of least resistance.. and all things considered, the radiator is a high resistance path!

there is no corrosion there tim battery has even been in the car a year yet. also have that setup on the elkie as well, the nomad is the only one that runs a single 16" fan which runs 10 to 15 seconds after u turn the car off.

hrrm ok.. that positive post looked a little crusty that's all smile

must just be the way I was lookin at the pic smile but I tell u what.. for $0.99 those felt washers are awesome smile