He's dead jim!

kc8oye

it finally happened.. my $150 junkyard 700r4 gave up. thankfully I was close to home!!!!

I drove out to leo's and back today

when i got on the freeway I thought it was odd that the engine flared so bad going into 3rd... and then I also thought it was odd I was turning about 2350 rpm instead of 2250 rpm @ 70 in 4th... but ok. .maybe I'm just imagining things.

Went to mom's for sunday dinner (bout 5 miles from my house)

pulled out her subdivision.. got on the main road.. 1st gear ok.. 2nd gear ok.. .3rd gear ok.. 4thgear ok... stopped at the stop light, went left.. 1st gear ok.. 2nd gear ok... no 3rd.

i tried and tried and tried... I have no 3rd or 4th gear now. I'm goign to check the fluid in the morning, but I suspect it's all over now.. time for that rebuild.

that was long drive home @ 3500 rpm doin 40-45mph :>

yeah.. that woulda been a long walk.

actully, I think it happened right at leos as I got on the freeway.. and somehow it survived teh 70 mile drive home.

You will probly find the mainshaft/tailshaft seal failure . This major internal oil leak will fail the planetary set . What ever you do be sure to FLUSH the lines and cooler(s). Dont want to install a new/built tranny and run old bits out of the cooler system into the new unit. Does it have reverse ?

i'm going to have a shop rebuild it.... found a local shop that will remove, rebuild, and replace it for $895. I trust that they will do that. they had better for a 1 year warranty.

and yes, it does have reverse.

Tim,

It lasted longer than I thought it would. I think I predicted it would go before Christmas. I agree with what Mike said about flushing out EVERYTHING. I would not assume the shop which is rebuilding the tranny will do it so i would make sure you mention it to them and make sure it is in writing that they did it.

Rob

That sounds like pretty good advice rob, I will keep that in mind. at least I know I'll be getting a new torque converter.. I specified I want a 2400 rpm stall converter put in :>

i might pick up an extra large cooler too.. just for good measure.. I'm using the factory in-radiator one as well as a small aftermarket one. it's about 10" wide and maybe 6" tall..

You need to get some cute stickers of engines and transmissions to paste on your fender, just like the little flags on the nose of a WWII fighter.

With a combined tally of 7, you are beyond ace!

You need to get some cute stickers of engines and transmissions to paste on your fender, just like the little flags on the nose of a WWII fighter.

That is a good one... Only you could have come up with that.

Rob

Good thing our Monte's fenders are sooooo long! lol

I don't know how much power you are putting out, but if it's beyond what a stock 350 puts out, you will be doing this rebuild again soon. 700R4 trannys are ok for bone stock applications, but stink for high performance unless they are modified. They have a lot of weak components in stock configuration. You don't have to go as far with it as I did to withstand over 600hp and cost over $2K, but you will need some aftermarket hard parts to beef it up to survive. You may already know all this, but I thought I'd try and help you save some money and heartache down the road. Peace.

this is why I explained to the trans shop what I want.

I specificlly asked if this trans will stand up to a 400hp small block and they say yes.. so I guess we'll see..

From as far as I can remember I've always heard that your better building up a 200R4 than the 700... A ton of guys over on the chevelle forum say that the 200 built by hmmm I think its art carr will take the beating even from a BB... I learned that its better to just save the money and build once and right. After all swapping engines and trans in and out can get annoying. Well maybe just to me since I work on cars on daily basis.

I specificly chose the 700r4 because of it's gear ratios.

I wanted the extra-low-ratio 1st gear to get all 4,020 lbs moving off the line. 700r4's are actully more durable 'out of the box' from GM. (how many full size trucks had 200-4r's?)

but throw enough money at it and you can make anything bullet proof smile

if I had the money to throw at it.. I'd be running a t-56 6spd manual :>

i got a 700r4 behind my bb thats builted to handle 450hp. have the same trans behind a 355 sb which puts out 390hp. they both came from 700r4.com. the monte even has the stock rear end 2.73 gears and the trans is still kickin. 700r4.com also builds 200r4 and the 4l80e.

the only thing I don't like about 700r4.com.. they use some kind of custom TV cable setup.. you have to use THEIR cable with THEIR bracket or you will kill the trans.. .at least, that's what I understand from their website.

ok. i see where i was looking before.. if you use the TV Made EZ system from bowtieoverdrives, you have to use their setup...

guess i'll have to talk with the trans shop about the TV cable and see if they're ok with the kickdown bracket I have installed right now.

• 3 weeks later...

well i got the monte up to the trans shop friday.. just heard from them today, apparently someone had tried to install a shift kit in it in the past, and they didn't do it correctly. he said somthing about a 3rd gear check ball that should have been removed, and it wasn't.

he also said the low roler clutch was shot, and the sun shell was worn. he's putting some heavy duty parts in for me including hi-po clutch materials and heavy duty band. $1200 installed.