only original once

71454SS

I was planing a front end complete rebuild but after reading some posts about restorations and looking at what really needs to be done I'm limiting the work. My car is a71SS with 41,000 miles on it. The car is 37 yrs old and the ball joints and tie rods are in need of replacing. Ive always wanted to get GM parts but they just are'nt available. Moog is a quality part and I'll use them for all. I like to drive this car so things are gonna wear out. These monte carlos are an awsome looking car , wish I had room for another that I could just drive and modify as I would like. BB

Sounds like a real nice car you have there, If you enjoy driving it, do it!! That is a low mileage rare car, I understand you not wanting to touch anything on it though.

I know just what you are talking about. I also have a 71SS, and I had grand plans for it. Maybe it's fortunate, but I found this site first and changed my plans after I discovered what I really had.

It's a tough road trying to decide what mods you can make without destroying the car value-wise. You want the car safe, and modern, fuel efficient and powerful...and you also want to keep the car bone stock right down to the radiator hose clamps. Is it OK to make a modification if it is an improvement? Somewhere along the line you have to figure out what is best for YOU, because it's your car. Just enjoy it.

The old dilemma of "what to & what not to" I'm sure we all suffer from the above. Some of us suffer from modification prices while others buy inferior parts. I suffer from paying the high GM prices and getting re-boxed merchandise in genuine boxes.. such as made in Taiwan and or Mexico! There ought to be a law against that kind of crap.. Good luck at buying good quality GM parts.. the re-box and the re-pop market is abundant. Unless you find N.O.S. and that will cost an arm & a leg.

Rod

41,000 orig miles - how sweet is that???? Awesome!

I think I just said the same thing in a previous thread last week- I wish I had another monte so it could be modified..I agree with you, I do not have the heart to modify my SS either.

I agree with all,but I don't mine adding options to mine as long as it was available for that year.Also not worried about the resale because I won't be selling it, Its a keeper and a driver.

Terry

I was a purist for many years, I've owned a few limited production Montes....never a For Sale sign but they all were sold. I've found that as long as the work is top quality that people are willing to pay for them even if you don't want to sell it........

So in the biginning, every thing was 100% stock but as I grow tired of building myself another car, I've been making small modifications to personalize them hoping that no one would want them but that hasn't worked out either. My current Monte is a 1971 SS, numbers matching and was with the same owner since 1974. I'm making modifications to my liking in hopes that no one else wants it. Don't get me wrong, I won't "hurt" the car, if I ever want to go back to total stock I will but for now I'm living by the rule...."It's my car so I'll make it what I want".

My 2 cents

Steve

...I'm making modifications to my liking in hopes that no one else wants it....

My 2 cents

Steve

Oh...the old "reverse psychology" ploy.

Have you considered giant diameter wheels? laugh LOL!

Why concern yourself with GM parts for stuff that is going to wear out? Unless you are trying for that 'perfect' 100 pt score in a car show for originality, you are better off buying Moog/TRW.. in my Expierence the Moog/TRW (same people) parts are HIGHER quality then the O.E GM ones.. often they are subtly redesigned to improve design flaws.

change 'em and drive it!!! it's sure not safe driving on worn out joints! if one of those joints seperates.. it's going to cost you a lot more to fix it!

my car is wholely assembled.. it's more like that johnny cash song about the 70-71-72-73-74 car smile so I just do as I please, and Idon't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

When I got mine with 47,000 miles, I was in the same boat. Although mine is not rare, I still didn't want to mess with an original car. I consider it preserving a peice of history.

Someday, I do hope to have the best of both worlds. I have the stock small block car now and maybe a big block 4-speed will be in my future. The next Monte will be a fun toy where I won't worry about originality.

Either way, do what you want with it. I'm glad to see that you drive it and enjoy it at least. smile