Ratchet shifters

kc8oye

i guess my other post never made it due to my connection problems smile

i picked up a Hurst Pro-Matic ][ shifter from the parts store, and finally got to check out how the ratchet mechanism works... and lo and behold.. it's what I want.. it's a fully directional ratchet shifter! 'sequential' shifter is maybe more accurate.

i've seen a couple of B&M ratchet shifters that only ratcheted one way.. ie.. from PArk you pull up on the release lever, pull the shifter all the way back to low one, and let go of the lever. you can now bump up to 2nd, and up to 3rd.... if you wanted to 'downshift', you had pull up on the release lever and 'aim' for the gear you wanted.

the hurst promatic is different.. you pull up on the handle and pull back till it stops, that's reverse.. ratchet backwards once and that's nuetral. from there push down and then pull back.. that's drive... then ratchet backwards, that's 3rd etc.

once down in low 1.. you can push fowrad and release that's 2nd gear. now from second gear you could push forward and release for 3rd.. or you can pull back and release, and it drops back into 1st.

it might seem kind of obvious to people who have had ratchet shifters b4... but no manufacturer makes it very clear if this is how their shfiter works or not!

it seems like a well bit unit.. but this poses another question now..

do I Want a full-manual, reverse pattern valve body... this also opens up the option for a trans brake.. .hrrrmmmm...........

mean while when u pull it back from second to first u blow the trans b/c of the rpm's the motor is turnin in that one gear. sounds like to me u got a shifter thats set up for a reverse valve body or one for a manual valve body.

i know the b&m shifters does. the hurst shifter i dont have a clue. from what i was lookin at i think i rather have it ratchet one way not both ways. even the stock floor shifter is a ratchet shifter from low to drive or low to overdrive if u have a over drive trans.

you don't understand what's happening rob.

the shifter sits in a center position. LEts say we're in 2 nd(L2) on my 700r4

if I grab the stick and push it forward thru the ratchet mechanism, it will go up one gear into L3 (drive)

OR, if I Pull back thru the other ratchet Mechanism it will ratchet down one gear. it can only go one gear at a time in any direction.

on the drag strip, from L1 it woule be Push foward, release (2nd), push forward, release (3rd)

but the shifter is exactly what I want. it's a sequential shifter. I want to autocross the monte so being able to shift in both directions is awesome smile

the promatic works with either forward or reverse valve bodies since it ratchets both ways at once.

B&M quicksilver works the same too. I think those two shifters are pretty similar.

Autocross Tim! Wow, I've not seen one of those yet, that would be cool!

Do be careful about making sure the shifter works with the OD. Some shifters will have a limited amount of cable travel which won't work with OD's. I don't think my Quicksilver will work with ODs.

sam, yeah, the one I ordered will.. I didn't relize I grabbed the 3spd model at the parts store.. I returned it and ordered the 4spd from a local speed shop.. the parts store wanted 7-10 days to get teh shifter

i hope to have the monte on it's way to the trans shop in the next few days :>

so far, i'm dissapointed... Hurst doesn't even include the correct directions with the unit.. my 383-8511 came with instructions for the 383-8510... so did summit racing's website.. Hurst's Website is useless.. providing only a 1-800 # to call.

8510 is the 3spd, 8511 is the 4spd.

and so far as I can tell, this shifter is defective... from Overdrive, you can pull the stick back right past 3rd and into 2nd.. then ratchet back into 1st.. AND you can't mount it to a flat surface.. the ratchet mechanism has to swing past the bottom of the unit for low-1...

none of these problems were there on the 3spd model.

in the event that it's normal operation to be able to skip from 4th to 2nd... i guess it's nto really a problem, since I really dobut I'd be using 4th gear on an auto cross track anyway LOL

B&M quicksilver works the same too. I think those two shifters are pretty similar.

Autocross Tim! Wow, I've not seen one of those yet, that would be cool!

Do be careful about making sure the shifter works with the OD. Some shifters will have a limited amount of cable travel which won't work with OD's. I don't think my Quicksilver will work with ODs.

I just read this post and thought Id let you know that, Yes the Quick silver shifter is a fully functional up and down ratchet shifter with reverse lock out and Yes it works great with a four speed overdrive 700r4 trans it even comes with the little plastic clear indicator strip for a 3 speed or a four speed and it has pretty decent instructions as well to make this shifter for a four speed it just requires one pin to be pulled out and the shifter will ratchet into 4 gears instead of three. Its what I'm using in my car. once you get used to pulling it up and through reverse into drive then its a real nice easy shifter to use and you don't have to think to find a gear as it will perfectly lock into each gear one at a time up or down the gears. Your shifter may have the same pin for three to a four speed. Good luck eh!

Jjs

as far as shifters goes, hurst does not compare to B&M. on my b&m to change my shifting pattern from 3 to 4 speed or forward to reverse pattern all i have to do is replace the shift plate with the one i want. undo the cover, two bolts, switch plate and i'm done.

just my 2 cents

thanh

yeah... but i'm not fond of the B&M's use of a second lever to release the meachanism..... just personal preference.

live and lern I guess... i'm gonna have to call hurst and tell them how disapointed I am at how crappy their $190 shifter is.

You might look at the Quicksilver Tim, there is no lever or anything to use the shifter. You simply lift the lever up out of park, pull it back, and in drive, it is pulled back down about an inch or so, and you are in full rachet up and down, from neutral to first. You can only get the shifter to pop back up in drive, so you can't accidentally hit reverse. Also, the ratchet mode is the ONLY mode for the quicksilver.

I really like mine. I'm glad judge told me about the single pin to take out to make it work with a 4-speed! Sweet! You learn something new every day!

Scotts absolutely correct there is no separate lever to shift at all. Ive had the star shifter from B&M years ago on my Camaro and it did have the extra lever.Pain in the a**! not the Quicksilver it is a very slick full time ratchet shifter I believe it is there top of the line street/strip shifter they do have some hard core shifters for just racing, I think. But this shifter is for street or stip I cant say anything bad about this shifter mine also came with two small micro switches so you can wire up reverse lights and a neutral switch for safety and it all works perfectly since I put it in. And it has always felt solid Jjs

my hurst has the switches too.. my only real concern with it at this point is the ability to double-downshift with it.. guess we'll see.. i'll use it for a while.. if it becomes a problem, i'll replace it.

Here's what i came up with to mount my shifter.. please forgive my horrible welding skills...

The base itself...

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/shifterbase1.jpg

and the base with the shifter on it.

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/shifterbase2.jpg

unfortunately, the bolt at the rear moved during the welding process, and is out of place.. so I either need to REALLY drill that back hole out, or cut the bolt off and try again. there is a 2nd bolt at the back too.. but until I deal with that misplaced bolt, I can't set the 4th one in place.

the four legs hanging down will be welded to the trans tunnel (long ones near the seat)

and the red thing underneath is a welding magnet.

now see, dave told me to turn it down!? and it was on 'high'

my welder only has a min/max power setting.. I believe are 60 and 90A it varies the voltage a bit too, but I can't remember what it is.

90A isn't enough for welding 1/8" stock!?!

I had it on Min just now (60A) and i managed to burn a hole thru my floorpan.. WOOPS heh

I've got the shifter base welded into the car !! woo hoo.. now I just need to measure and drill the hole for the cable to go thru, attach the cable at both ends, and run the wires for the lighting, nuetral saftey, and reverse lights... problaby just as well the dragstrip didn't know I didn't have a nuetral safe-t switch in the car b4 smile

rock on.. the monte is now officially a floor shifter smile

all the column shift stuff is deleted except the collar on the steering column smile

here's a pic of the install.. i haven't done the wiring or put the carpet back or put the cover on it.. but its functional

shifter.jpg