Pics of new dual 8" booster and master

Heckeng

Hey guys, I just got my new master cylinder, booster, and brake lines finished up. I got the booster/master cylinder combo from Classic Performance Products and it seems very nice. I'm real happy with how everything turned out as far as how it looks. The dual 8" booster needs more vacuum to work right than the stock 11" booster though. That sucks. I will be getting a vacuum pump now too eventually frown. On the positive side, I picked up lots of clearance between the valve cover and the booster now, and it just looks much nicer than my old stuff.

I got bulk line and bent it myself, then flared the ends with a Ridged brand double flare tool and the lines turned out great. I think the flare tool might be my new favorite tool. What a slick item!

booster2zd6.jpg

booster3od3.jpg

No other choices Allan. I've been reading and reading looking for options. I do like the hydro systems some, but I've read negatives too. The guys with later model G-bodies that came with them, complain about them not lasting long etc, and some of them have put in vacuum system conversions, and everybody with vacuum systems complain about them and put in hydroboost conversions! I guess the grass is always greener.

Yes Tony, you do have to love the right tool for the job! It makes such a difference!

Sam, you running a stud girdle? You may have to get some really tall valve covers!

Nice set-up, looks good... cool

I also like how the brake lines and proportioning valve are away from the header tubes.

Bill

Nice looking job. I have the Rigid double flare tool it is the only one i have found that will do the double flares in steel line correctly. There are others but way out of my price range.

actully, I have sam.

I drove a caprice I think it was around leo's shop with 4 wheel manual drums. it was certainly 'interesting' smile

Over on the chevelle forum, lots of guys have switched to manual disc/drums, but none of them say their brakes are good. They just say, they get the job done. Right now, they get the job done, but it makes me nervous!

I hope to have a vacuum pump next week and hopefully again, I'll be happy with their performance!

Mike, I looked at some of the more expensive flare tools too, there is some nice stuff out there, but man, you sure have to pay for it! I thought the Ridged one was a good combination of price vs. quality too.

• 4 weeks later...

I got it from an Electric Car supplier called Metric Mind.

The pump was expensive, I'm actually embarrassed to talk about it because I know everybody will think I'm a moron for buying it. My logic was that if it was made for electric cars where they have NO other source for brake assist, it ought to be very reliable and quiet.

It is kind of interesting how it works. I figured my brakes would be very sensitive etc, but really they feel just like normal, but if I push the pedal a little farther, it has way more brakes.

Bob, you have a PM too.

Ok. Let the disbelief and calling me a moron begin. . .

$460.

I've just read so many complaints about the ~$300 pumps being so loud and shaking the whole car that I couldn't buy one. I am sure I made the right decision for me, but recognize it would be hard for sane people to decide on this pump.

Ok. Let the disbelief and calling me a moron begin. . .$460.

Holy cow, you would have to be a moron to spend that much... lol

Just joking...by the way it looks real nice and even better that it works real well... cool

Bill

you did get lucky Sam, you can't even buy those any longer. Actually you can't even buy the rebuild kits supposedly. You CAN send yours off to get it refurbished somehow, but that is all anybody offers that I've come across. I have looked into those pumps quite a bit too, and I think you can find a bracket that would allow you to mount your pump to a flat panel or flat area of your car. That makes things much easier with that pump! I wish I could have found one of them new as they were much more affordable.

Update after some more driving/testing. . .

Brakes are by far the best of any older car I've ever personally driven. They act normal when driving normally, but if needed there is a much higher reserve of power assist. I did some test stops like what would happen in an emergency situation and the car stoped awesomely. I didn't try to lock up any of the wheels, and didn't need to.