Heater Box A/C Box

I have my whole interior stripped. I have my heater box out and my A/C box out in the engine compartment. I have both cleaned to original looks. Im wondering if anyone Clear Coated both of these parts. If so what have you used to do it and any other recommendations.

I sprayed my engine compartment box with clear. I think I used Krylon semi gloss clear, If I remember correctly. (It's what was laying around at the time, anything would work though.)

Just a fairly light coat, to even it up overall where there looked like 'dry' spots on the original surface. 

I started to paint a repro box black base coat clear but only painted one half and never finished the other side. Any chance in posting a picture?

IMG_1230.thumb.JPG.3b5ca954974b999cda6079b0cd213791.JPGThese are not the best but I have not used the camera in quite a while and forgot how it works. Taking it to my daughters house for Christmas and have to have my 16 yr old grandson reteach me. Also it has been about 8 years since I painted it so it is showing some wear and tear form having the engine out again and other maintacne projects. But it does look better than when I got the car.

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

I also did a clear coat paint job on the evap housing. First a good clean up to remove the dirt and grime then a couple of light coats of clear. Be careful using abrasives on the housing if you want to retain the factory surface look.

BTW that is a 1969 Pontiac Gran Prix A/C evap housing not an MC housing. The GP unit allows use of a later model blower cage that is both taller ( longer if you will ) and the use a 1998 Vette blower motor. The fan / squirrel cage has more blades and longer blades: each with a more aggressive airfoil profile. Big improvement in air movement over the 70's version blower cages originally in these cars.  Very minor mods needed to accommodate differences in the Pontiac versus Chevy units. Mods are related to the "sensors" and resistor mounting areas on the driver side of the evap housing. Everything else is plug and play.

BF8449D2-40A7-4BE9-A18A-59D5FD7ACFE8.jpeg

AACD3AB8-F56F-4E3D-995E-BF1C4423FD72.jpeg

BE71D59F-CBF3-4122-B8E0-BA04776DAF1B_1_201_a.jpeg

17 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

The Evap case looks really nice.

rob

Thanks for the reply. I got VERY lucky with that piece. Nothing but a good scrubbing with hot water and soap was needed for prep before paint. No stripped holes / no cracks: not bad for a 50 year old piece!  Funny part was I read about the GP housing accommodating the "uprated" motor / squirrel cage and decided to make the change.  I figured it would be near impossible to find one however. After the decision was made I immediately logged onto Ebay and there it was, first inquiry produced a score. 

Here is another pic of the housing install. I got lucky again a second time with the install. It was tight but I got the old housing out and the new one installed in the car by just  removing inner fender and exhaust manifold on pass side.

E72EA123-CB1B-4588-99C2-5E1D8F8DA4F6.thumb.jpeg.f36720cb4fe8b3926a9dbb08d7ef8e15.jpeg

• Like 1