1971 Monte Carlo SS clone for sale.

Selling my 71 SS clone, black on black, runs and drives, tagged and insured, but needs work.  Has a rebuilt 454 with less than 1000 miles on it. Turbo 400 trans was rebuilt years ago, but only has a few 1000 miles on it. Have receipts for both. I bought the car from a friend of mine who owned it since 2008. 

Car has AC, but the compressor and hoses are not installed,(I have compressor, hoses, and brackets) PS, PB, PW, cloth bucket seats and console, driver's power seat (needs correct bracket welded to floor) have parts needed to install power locks, has working AM/FM/8 track- sounds like crap but that might have been bad wiring or incorrect ohms for the rear speakers, only has RF dash speaker. 

Since I've owned the car, I have replaced the steering box with a Bogeson quick ratio box, installed new front coil springs, new upper and lower control arms, new idler arm, center link, pitman arm and front sway bar links. Replaced the rear coil springs and installed 4 new shocks. I have also replaced the flywheel (installed backwards) replaced the starter with a hi torque gear reduction starter, installed new battery cables and replaced the battery. I also have a 1 1/4 front sway bar that is not installed. 

I ordered everything needed to repair the rust around the rear window from Beldon Speed. When I peeled the vinyl top off, it was too extensive for what I ordered. I gutted the interior to see what else I would need. I spent $3300 at Konik's Klassiks. I bought new 1/4 panels (1 nos, 1 amd) roof skin, outer wheel houses, trunk floor, front floor pan patch panels , rear under seat patch panel, new lower rocker molding and clips, used lower door hinges.  Im sure there were other things, just cant remember right now. The front edge of the hood is very rusty, but I purchased a rust free hood from a member on the forum. 

The c pillars were junk, and the wheel wells had some body filler in them, so I figured now is the time to do it right. 

A few things that I know are wrong, the fuel tank leaks where the filler neck is welded to the tank. I was going to get a new one when we started the bodywork. I also didn't get the trunk drop downs. I was planning on replacing those, if needed, when we started cutting the car apart. There is also an issue with the steering column. The steering wheel doesn't lock when you remove the key. The actuator is missing. 

Would love for a member here to buy it and bring her back to glory.  I easily have over $20,000 tied up in this car.  I'll sell it to a member on here for 11k.  (rebuilt 454, power seat, 8 track player, and 3300 in new parts are easily worth that alone) I'll start adding pictures, but I have posted  pics on the forum, and nothing much has changed.

John

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

645816670.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

I just scheduled an online appointment for a tetanus shot after seeing that back window.  

The vinyl top really sets these cars off, but the cancer it’s capable of fostering is truly disgusting. 

• Like 2

Glen, If I keep and repair this car, it will NOT get a vinyl top, for that very reason. I realize that it's not an every day driver, and it will be garage kept for the most part, but their will be times it gets wet and I don't want the vinyl top to work it's magic. It really would have been helpful if GM had painted the roof as thick as they painted the rest of the car.

1 hour ago, 71SSclone said:

Glen, If I keep and repair this car, it will NOT get a vinyl top, for that very reason. I realize that it's not an every day driver, and it will be garage kept for the most part, but their will be times it gets wet and I don't want the vinyl top to work it's magic. It really would have been helpful if GM had painted the roof as thick as they painted the rest of the car.

If you like the look of how a vinyl top sets off the body lines of the Monte but do not like the issues that the vinyl roof can create then do it like a factory two tone paint job which uses the same vinyl top trim but instead of the vinyl material it is painted a different color than the lower body.  Mine is a factory Two-Tone (Astro Blue body with a Classic White roof) and you would be surprised how many people assume it is a vinyl roof until they get right up on it and see it is in reality painted.

rob

11 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

If you like the look of how a vinyl top sets off the body lines of the Monte but do not like the issues that the vinyl roof can create then do it like a factory two tone paint job which uses the same vinyl top trim but instead of the vinyl material it is painted a different color than the lower body.  Mine is a factory Two-Tone (Astro Blue body with a Classic White roof) and you would be surprised how many people assume it is a vinyl roof until they get right up on it and see it is in reality painted.

rob

Adding to what Rob said… I wouldn’t be surprised if a competent paint guy might even be able to go so far as to re-create the texture look of vinyl in the paint. Kind of how concrete and wood surfaces can be stained, airbrushed etc to create the illusion of depth & texture. I personally have no qualms with deviating from completely stock and eliminating the vinyl top for paint. 

Definitely makes me happy that mine never had a vinyl top. I would remove it entirely and not 2 tone it, but that is just me. I see it has the rear window blower, does the switch work? The switch alone would probably bring your price on flee bay. I am surprised that someone hasn't formulated a simulated vinyl top textured paint. Seems it would be a great way for the factories to charge for a vinyl top but only invest pennies.

rotin

On 2/3/2022 at 9:38 AM, rotinrob said:

I see it has the rear window blower, does the switch work? The switch alone would probably bring your price on flee bay.

rotin

No, the rear defrost did not work. When I took it apart, I found that the capacitor(?) ,on the trunk divider, for the blower motor was not attached to the wire coming from the dash. I really didnt look into it. I was going to figure it out on re assembly. I did hook the blower motor to the battery and it worked fine.

John 

I managed to find a NOS dealer install kit for my Monte. When I replaced the dash the parts car had a switch hole (and switch original car didn't have the blower) in the dash but only the fan shroud and nothing else. So when I found the kit for only about twice what I was willing to pay I jumped on it. Now the switch runs the blower (not sure why but at some shows the judges like to see these things working). Might come in handy for those really hot muggy nights we sometimes get around here (not in February though).

rotin

• Like 1

• 1 year later...