70 ss454 Front Rotor size

2 hours ago, Leghome said:

The fins vthey are talking about me thnks is in the space between the inner and outer face of the rotors at least that is my thooughts were have been wrong alreaddy 6 times today 😁:yay:😀

Got those too.... LOL

These fins seemed more like just re enforcement, (or cooling ?) around the center hub..... It's the first time I've ever seen such a thing. 

They weren't very big, about 1/2" to 3/4" by about 1/4" wide. 

WEIRD..... 

32 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

I think these are the fins people are talking about on the original rotors.

rob

Rotor Fins.jpg

Rob you used the wrong color blue. It doesn’t match my car. Lol. 

I think I know what he is talking about. Remember on the two piece rotors, the hub had 4 open holes. I’ll try to find a picture. They were one of the first rotor design gm had. 

Could not find a picture. I must be stoned again. Lol. But I did find a truck version. I also posted a picture of a two piece design the ground up sells. Maybe that’s what he’s looking at. ???? 

6F4C1F6A-B0C8-45B9-94F1-CC771CE7C027.png

9E399268-ED34-4F97-9405-F7A9CB858664.png

10 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I think I know what he is talking about. Remember on the two piece rotors, the hub had 4 open holes. I’ll try to find a picture. They were one of the first rotor design gm had. 

YES !!!

That's the one.... Seemed really strange to have on a '70, though.

I do believe that they are one of the original design rotors for the chevelle,Monte, cutlass etc. The second design was a one piece that you see today. Much more common. If you still have them and they are thick you could probably get good money for them. 

It's the bottom one, but when I got the replacements, they had the same configuration, but without the little fins/tabs around the center section. 

Wish I'd kept them..... they seem to be unique. 

Ya they came out with a flat hub, two piece for about 5 minutes. They warped pretty easy. Which by the way was part of the problem with the original design. The full solid hub worked great 

We’re out of sync by two minutes. Lol. I do believe them are holes drilled into the hub to balance the rotor. Are there holes on the other side to match?  Good thing you’re putting new pads and rotors on it. 

Lol. They were on the "Covid" Monte. Original 71 rotors. Both sides had the balancing holes in them. One side only. They have since been replaced by power stop drilled and slotted rotors and pads. HUGE improvement in stopping power! 

• Like 1

The replacement ones I found still have the flat plate for the wheel studs..... You can get your fingers between the plate and the hub. Found them at a wreckers, and the still had lots of metal to them. 

37 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Lol. They were on the "Covid" Monte. Original 71 rotors. Both sides had the balancing holes in them. One side only. They have since been replaced by power stop drilled and slotted rotors and pads. HUGE improvement in stopping power! 

I didn’t look at who sent this. Lol. I thought it was a close up is Scott’s. That’s funny. But at least I was correct on pad and rotor replacement. Lol. Sorry Tom. 

• Haha 1