clone/tribute cars

71454SS

Just read Hemmings Muscle mag on the convertable Z28 and had some thoughts. Cars that are done to this extreme aught to be Illegal!! No stamping of blocks . No fake and weatherd paper work. Pass GO and go directly to Jail. No problem with reproduction cars with original proofs. Just like the critic says,"Who's to tell after the 1'st sale of the car.". mad

unfortunately there's no way of stopping them, if GM would have tied the VIN to it being a SS, Z28, RS/SS, ect would have helped some, greed is a powerful emotion...unfortunately

Honestly,

what is the diffence weither the car is original?

i just dont see what difference that makes to the common man.

most of us here are monte carlo owners because we lovethe cars.

if it has the options that where supposed to be on the particular car you want,what will documentation add to the experince?

if the car is put together right like the factory did it, what is the difference?

my opinion is to build it the way you would have ordered it new.

now im not saying anyone should misrepresent what they have.

i have a 72 that looks like a 71 , but if you ask me , its a 72.

i think to much importance is put on correctness and originallity.

just my 2 cents

bob

I can appreciate it either way. At this point, some of the original numbers matching cars are untouchable by most of us!

I do enjoy driving my car, although I seem to not drive it as much as I had planned....seems as if I became the "Nut" who wipes it down constantly, doesnt want to drive it anywhere I might have to park and leave it out of my sight...and am constantly worried about it. It comes from a ton of time invested in the car.

Id say to build it the way you want, and enjoy it. But Im not one of the people buying them as an investment like you see on Barrett Jackson.

I will put my two cents into this. I like old cars period.. I do have a preference for Chevy and preferably 64-72. But, I do enjoy other makes and models. I don't care if it is original, stock, modified, cloned, drag car, and the list goes on. The most important part of this list is the honesty factor. Don't lie to me, just show what you have and I will appreciate it for what it is. If it was a plain jane grocery getter and you cloned it SS, good for you. Enjoy it, and show it, but don't lie to people or make it sound like it was an original something. Cars are like women, there are a million beauties out there. Just be honest about it,.. we'll appreciate them.

Guest knightfan2691
I do enjoy driving my car, although I seem to not drive it as much as I had planned....seems as if I became the "Nut" who wipes it down constantly, doesnt want to drive it anywhere I might have to park and leave it out of my sight...and am constantly worried about it. It comes from a ton of time invested in the car.

See...this is why I don't really want to get any of my MCs really "fixed up" ... I suspect I wouldn't drive them as much as I do now....

I know I NEED to have a few of them worked on (especially in the areas of rust), but dangumit...I don't want the entire car redone...just the rust fixed!!!!

smile

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Confusing what is real" ... Linkin Park ... 'Crawling'

I started out wanting to put my Monte back to original but sat back and said to myself that it doe's not matter if it's original all the way.

I have a 350 crate motor in it and original tranny.

When it is finished it will look good and drive good. It's going to be driven whenever i have the time.

Wont be a show car but it will be decent enough that people will enjoy reminicing.

Just love the sound of a V8 and the feel of a true muscle car. nicepost

I only started this post about the forged documents and the fake stamping part of a restoration. I also would build a car the way I would want to, what ever you do though, don't go that far as it just ain't right.

Honestly,

what is the diffence weither the car is original?

i just dont see what difference that makes to the common man.

most of us here are monte carlo owners because we lovethe cars.

if it has the options that where supposed to be on the particular car you want,what will documentation add to the experince?

if the car is put together right like the factory did it, what is the difference?

my opinion is to build it the way you would have ordered it new.

now im not saying anyone should misrepresent what they have.

i have a 72 that looks like a 71 , but if you ask me , its a 72.

i think to much importance is put on correctness and originallity.

just my 2 cents

bob

I think it all depends on the car. I love the 70-72 Monte's and have asked Greg to buy me one for 15 years. It didn't matter which year or model or what options it had. I just love the body style. When we ended up with mine - the thought process changed a bit - being an SS, it became important to me that it was original or that I brought it back to being as original as we could...even more so once I found the build sheet & previous owners. Sure having all these pieces of the cars history help its value but I do not plan on ever selling it nor do we ever plan to do a frame off restoration....nor would I want a car THAT MINT that I would worry about driving it & be afraid to enjoy it. I guess it is just a mind thing.

i dont see the point in restamped blocks or fake paperwork , believe me the people that go after original documented numbers matching cars are not at all fooled by the restamped blocks or fake paperwork , i can tell the differance in a second there are ways to tell that some of us will never share , i have purchased several 70-71 ss montes that were deemed fake that actually turned out to be original i knew they were before i bought them for many reasons none of them being build sheet or original drivetrain , if a restorer goes thru the effort to restore a original documented or verified car and bring it back to factory correct i say hats off to them and yes there car will be more valuable to ME , believe me aftermarket intakes carbs and headers and tons of horsepower you will never use are the norm at shows and cruises today , when i see a authentic car i stop and look and admire , dont get me wrong street machines are great i own several , but i am currently restoring a very very rare 71 and look foreward to hunting for and correctly restoring this car should it be worth more than the summit catalog cruiser you bet , should it be in a tomb when finished no way drive it enjoy it , i have seen cars worht much more than 50k driven and enjoyed and cars worth less the 20k trailored and never driven go figure

EVIL OR DEVINE

Leo

I've looked a few "SS" cars which ended up being nothing but a 350 car with bucket seats and a console, but I was able to tell thanks to this website that they were not truly "SS" but only because of parts that were missing (the 454, air ride, boxed arms). Now if someone was trying to sell me a good clone then I could probably be taken. So I would have to agree that it should be illegal for a seller to fake things like the blocks and paperwork. It's fraud no two ways about it, and the only reason someone goes to that much trouble is to "steal" the extra money they can get for a "valuable" vehicle from some unsuspecting buyer like me.

Absolutley nothing wrong with clone cars. Don't try and sell it as a real car though. Yes that is fraud, and you can end up in the big house for it.

I'm glad my 72 I bought is not a W code because I would have done the same thing I'm doing now...CHOPPING it up. Competely straight rust free car, I'm gutting, cutting, drilling, & cloning. What a shame. lol

I like Bob, will have a 71 Monte, but if I was asked what year...a 72. Then I would say cloned to look like a 71 SS.

Leo, tell us about that rare 71 you are doing, that sounds interesting.

Build it any way you like and fake any paper work just so you can admire to your self when you look at your great forgery job and when it come up in conversation TELL THE TRUTH AND LAUGH I just made the paper work and did the stamping for the fun of it I would never try to sell it as a real(SS, RS, Yenko, etc) you might be a bit finicky for details and a bit odd for doing so but its your car. But you wont look like a complete a** and if you do try to sell it and miss represent what it is then it is simply fraud. Not a cool thing to do and And if caught you will look like a complete A** I have seen some great clones I don't care if they are clones they look great just don't try to sell me you clone when I want the real thing and you lied. It seems we are all on the same page here. just my little rant.. Jjs

It is only wrong if you do it to raise the value to sell. It is completely wrong in my opinion. Not the cloning the deception. If you want to clone a car fine, besides it is the look we want not some status, but when you start cutting VIN tags off an original car that is completly scrap and putting it on a nice car that maybe was a plain jane i think it is wrong. Just remember it is all about deception, and usally to make alot more money on a sale. I feel it is perfectly fine if you are open about t being a clone. I have had this argument with a few of the guys around here that do this and wouldn't you know it they never want to tell the buyer that it is a clone even though I know for a fact it is. Dead Wrong.