70 Monte Carlo Hood

Here's a question. When I got my 70 Monte the hood hinges were really tight, so I oiled them. now the hood opens very freely but being so long and heavy won't stay open. I made a prop rod that I use for safety. any suggestions?

The hinges on mine are worn out, I'm going to send them out to be rebuilt. They have the correct springs for them also. I added a cowl scoop to mine and now it don't stay up any more hopefully the rebuild and new springs will help that. I don't like the prop rod either. 

Same problem with my 71.

I use a 3/4" copper pipe with rubber tips on each end, but on a windy day the hood opened a bit higher and the pipe fell out then the hood slammed shut and chipped some paint in several areas. I added one additional small spring inside one of the original springs and it did help some. Good luck!

right now  using a aluminum pipe with a rubber grommet on each end. I made it long enough so that is a tight fit with the hood all the way up maximum so it can't come out even with wind.