Long tube big block headers....

Steve G

Sorry I’m leaving posts all over the place...  this has been covered before but I’m just looking for more updated current opinions.  Looking into long tube headers. Coated or not is fine. what brand (part #) fits best with little to no complications. 402 with a/c, th350. Thank you!

I have an older pair of hooker 2455, they fit in the car alright but honestly leave quite a bit to be desired for side to side consistency. They don’t aim the same way out of the header, the guy I bought them from did all the clearancing for the steering shaft and I had already relocated my brake distribution block. My honest recommendation would be not to use the hooker 2455s.

8 minutes ago, 70MC402 said:

I have an older pair of hooker 2455, they fit in the car alright but honestly leave quite a bit to be desired for side to side consistency. They don’t aim the same way out of the header, the guy I bought them from did all the clearancing for the steering shaft and I had already relocated my brake distribution block. My honest recommendation would be not to use the hooker 2455s.

Agreed. He doesn't need 2" primary's and 3 1/2" collectors on a stock 402. 

Now, Big Red has the 2455s, proportioning valve in stock location and no issues with any tubes what so ever. I must have the holy grail of the 2455s. I know others have had many issues with them. 

24 minutes ago, Steve G said:

I’m not too concerned about overall performance of the headers. The car is not a hot rod. 

Exactly why a big tube header would not be for your application. They would most likely kill performance for you.

That's why a smaller tube header would be better for your application and a less of a problem to install. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Exactly why a big tube header would not be for your application. They would most likely kill performance for you.

That's why a smaller tube header would be better for your application and a less of a problem to install. 

If they fit without smashing tubes and bending things I will be happy. If they take 100hp away I’m still happy ...  all I’m looking for is an easy clean fit.

55 minutes ago, Steve G said:

If they fit without smashing tubes and bending things I will be happy. If they take 100hp away I’m still happy ...  all I’m looking for is an easy clean fit.

Lol, umm no. Take 100 hp away from an advertised 70 330 hp or 71 300 hp 402 is pathetic but worse than that is the loss of torque. Your car obviously, but you will regret going with a big tube header with a stock engine. 

• Like 3

We know 100hp loss is exaggerating, Im just saying maximizing engine performance is not priority here, it will run just fine with whatever headers I install. Just looking for a clean easy fit.

5 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Just curious, if you are not going for performance and you want a clean easy fit why not go back with stock manifolds?  

Because I want headers.. 

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

Because I want headers.. 

Ok, let me get this straight, and as previously said its your car do what you want. You don't care about performance,  you want long tube headers, and you don't want to "massage" the headers around proportioning valves or steering or whatever. 

So, since you seem to have gone through the header threads I think you'll find as Tom said with his 2455s, some people have no issues with some brands while others have to do a little manipulating, your rolling the dice. Since your also doing the exhaust  not sure if some company does a complete system. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Ok, let me get this straight, and as previously said its your car do what you want. You don't care about performance,  you want long tube headers, and you don't want to "massage" the headers around proportioning valves or steering or whatever. 

So, since you seem to have gone through the header threads I think you'll find as Tom said with his 2455s, some people have no issues with some brands while others have to do a little manipulating, your rolling the dice. Since your also doing the exhaust  not sure if some company does a complete system. 

Yes... I did my research. It seems like every header fits perfectly for some while others have problems. I’m going to start with the 2455 and just cut and weld if necessary. Ordered them 20 minutes ago.

• Like 3

If you haven’t bought an exhaust system yet the pypes x pipe does fit pretty well, I have to take off my right rear tire to get the tail pipe off but that’s partially because I’m using an MT ET pro 275 with a 5.5 inch backspacing wheel. I will also say that if pypes is an option for you the race and street pro mufflers both are realllllllly tame. I ended up going back to my Flowmaster 40s after a week.

6F1F7EBF-2FF2-4269-8055-EAF6C9FC122F.jpeg

• Like 3

That's a good looking exhaust system .

Our previous exhaust system had the Flowmasters and everything was sent to Jet-Hot in Graham NC to be coated.

We now have a complete custom full polished Stainless Works (Chagrin falls Ohio) System with the electric cut-outs

Thanks everyone. The headers came in today..  I test fitted for motivation. show ya a pic just so you know I’m not just wasting time with questions. Checked piston to valve clearance today, Ran out of energy to bolt down the heads , new 1/2” taller OEM looking valve covers clear everything fine and looks factory. Can’t wait for the pushrods to arrive so I can button this thing up.FCC7D61D-E079-4BBC-B906-2B9A57380AE1.thumb.jpeg.18ec13bd714eaa0cbffc8cefe3cf2ad0.jpeg

• Like 3