Column shift to center console conversion

72 Monte Carlo

On 11/7/2022 at 10:13 AM, MC1of80 said:

Left it alone and hooked up. Easier to watch the dash instead of looking down to see what gear you are in. 99% of people don't even notice. 

I did the same thing on my 71.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/7/2022 at 10:13 AM, MC1of80 said:

Left it alone and hooked up. Easier to watch the dash instead of looking down to see what gear you are in. 99% of people don't even notice. 

How did you do that? I'm installing a B&M megashifter in my '72. Is there room to leave the mechanical rod from the tranny to the column in place along with the cable?

18 hours ago, BobW said:

How did you do that? I'm installing a B&M megashifter in my '72. Is there room to leave the mechanical rod from the tranny to the column in place along with the cable?

That's how it is from the factory. The column is always hooked up for the key lock and steering wheel lock. You just need the right hardware on the transmission.

2 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

That's how it is from the factory. The column is always hooked up for the key lock and steering wheel lock. You just need the right hardware on the transmission.

Thanks. I got the shifter mounted so I could build a console for it and fit between the bucket seats before the car went to paint & body. I've not as yet gone under to mount the bracket & connect the cable. I'll look at that connection when I get the car back.

Can I just pull the column shift lever off, or do I have to go inside to release what ever latch is engaged when you pull the column lever back to shift into gear?

Guess it may be more obvious when I can get under the car and start moving things from below. That sure would simplify safety start wiring if I can run it from the column switch.

Are you going to be using the original column with a floor shifter? I'm not 100% sure how that works on the newer models, but I'm pretty sure my dad did that with his 67 Chevelle with no problem. He even mounted a tach where the column shifter had been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackhawk said:

Are you going to be using the original column with a floor shifter? I'm not 100% sure how that works on the newer models, but I'm pretty sure my dad did that with his 67 Chevelle with no problem. He even mounted a tach where the column shifter had been.

Yes, that's the plan......