Factory Tach - with HEI. Is a filter needed?

snomobeelr

71 Monte . It has the factory wiring and Tach in gauge cluster. I have a Davis DUI distributor and Coil. Do I need any sort of filter for the Stock tack in the Dash?  Mine tach went out and Im replacing it. I actually read something for once and it says "you need to buy an adapter to lower the voltage to the GM factory voltage."  Has anyone done this ? 

Dash Tachometer 6500 RPM

Fits 1971 Chevelle / Monte Carlo / El Camino

This dash tach has the 3 screw design just like the original. This item is sold individually only.

Tachometers will work with factory GM points or factory HEI ignition. When using an aftermarket ignition system likes MSD, Accel, Patronix, ect. A lot of these systems generates higher output voltage to the tach lead than what a factory GM tach can handle. Factory GM tachs can operate on voltage ranging from 11.2 to 14.7 Most aftermarket ignition systems generate over 18 volts. You will need to buy from the manufacture of your ignition system an adapter to lower the voltage to the GM factory voltage.

I have a pertronix ignition system in Barn Find, 71 402. She has factory gauges and the factory tach is working fine with it. Factory wiring, no filter. 

I can say, if you are using an HEI style distributor make sure you have a 12 volt source powering it. The factory coil/resistance wire does not supply 12 volts when running. 

• Like 2

The way I'm reading your directions, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is you only need to add "parts" if your running "upgraded" ignition like MSD. The PO had a GM HEI on my 70SS454 when I bought it, The coil went bad and I replaced it with maybe a DUI maybe a another brand coil kit. The new crate also has a HEI  no issues with the factory tach.

My buddy gave me his MSD 6AL when he upgraded to the 7, when I researched doing the upgrade (still pending) there were a few extra parts I had to purchase to make it play well with the HEI. 

With the new tach, you might not notice issues at first without the regulator. 

Montelishi arrived with a HEI distributor and Accel coil pack. The first couple years were fine, but this summer I've noticed that the tach spikes on start up, and takes a few minutes of running to settle into the proper readings. 

Just food for thought.... 

Your reading skills are better than mine 😃.. I didn't catch the Upgraded part..   I had the original tach in the gauge cluster worked for a long time with a MSD HEI distributor. Then I went with the DUI distributor and it went out after some time. I actually had the cluster sent out to redline in Tennese. Fixed the tach and the Fuel gauge.  The tach worked for a while and then went out again.  Redline fixed it it under warranty. It went out again. Ive jus been using an Autometer Tach on the Pillar for the past two seasons. Since she in garage for winter figure Id fix it again.  I ordered a new Tach from the Parts Place and saw that disclaimer. I called DUI and they said it should be fine.  Im thinking the original Tach is just past its prime. But at the same point. I really don't like dropping the dash and pulling the cluster. Hopefully my last time. But I doubt it ....  And now I get to try and reattach the burl wood again too.... Corner poped out a little. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, snomobeelr said:

Your reading skills are better than mine 😃.. I didn't catch the Upgraded part..

laughing, if I were doing the project I would have posted the same question, easier to ask than smoke new parts 

After checking the Accel/Holley website, I found the part you're inquiring about..... (SN20). but I assume that every manufacturer has a version to fit their components. 

Much like how gauge manufacturers use there own sender units and none of them are compatible with each other or factory units. 

The thing looks like a rubber stopper with 3 wires coming out of it..... Going to give it a try and see if it solves my tach issues. ;)

On 12/14/2022 at 3:55 PM, Scott S. said:

Montelishi arrived with a HEI distributor and Accel coil pack.

Hey Scott, educate me.I thought the HEI dizzy had the coil in the cap. Or are you running some additional ignition stuff? 

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Hey Scott, educate me.I thought the HEI dizzy had the coil in the cap. Or are you running some additional ignition stuff? 

It could have been an accel coil in the cap. I put one of them in my 77 Monte back in the day. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DragCat said:

Just the "super coil" that mounts on top of the HEI cap..... I think it's part # 14065, or something like that. This is the best pic I have at the moment. Resized_20210924_125121_5532.thumb.jpg.1aa5e4b370dadd174047de4d2d867be6.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...