R.I.P. Gary Rossington LYNRD SKYNYRD

420ponies

Just heard about his death, Man what a guitar player. Followed him throughout his career and bands he had influenced and played with. Truly one of the greatest.Going to be missed for sure. I for one will be listening to all the albums they have made.

Edited by 420ponies
Added content
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 420ponies changed the title to R.I.P. Gary Rossington LYNRD SKYNYRD

Skynyrd is considered royalty around here. "The pride of Jacksonville" is how I have heard them described. There is a documentary, "If I leave here tomorrow" that I watched recently which really gives an insight into the band. I recommend any fans watch it. 

• Like 2

Rest in peace Gary.

Jim and Jim are completely right.  Skynyrd is legendary in Jacksonville Florida.  How does a guy living in Pittsburgh know this????? Well I have a sort of connection.

I grew up on the west side of Jacksonville at 5459 Waterside Drive.  Ronnie Van Zant (the leader of Lynyrd Skynyrd)  grew up on 5419 Woodcrest Road, less than a mile from our house.  Growing up, my mother was a Cub Scout Den Mother and Ronnie Van Zant used to come to my house for Cub Scout Webelo's meetings.  Ronnie was two years behind me but the same age as my brother.  These were during my elementary and junior high school years.

Fast forward to my High School years.  People in our neighborhood went to Robert E. Lee High School.  In those days the Beatles were topping the charts so it was the start of boys wanting to wear their hair a little bit longer. At Robert E Lee we had a coach that looked like a military boot camp drill Sargent named Leonard Skinner and Coach Skinner HATED long hair and really rode anyone with hair much longer than his own.

Being a member of an up and coming band there were several final names under consideration for their band.  Due to the fact that Coach Leonard Skinner had given them so much grief they decided to give a little bit of "Pay Back Is A BlTCH" and sort of change the spelling of Coach Skinner's name and name the band Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The Van Zant house over the years kind of fell into ruins but someone bought it and remodeled it and from what my sister, who lives in the Jacksonville area has told me it is currently on the market for close to a million dollars.  When I last saw the house about 5 years ago the property was not worth much more than 25K for the land and building.

When I was in the 9th grade at  Lake Shore Jr High School I knew a kid in my art class named Eugene (Gene) Odom.  Gene was what was considered a "Hood" in those days.  Some kids were giving me a hard time and Gene found out about it.  Gene took a liking to scrawny me and told me "just say the word and I will make sure they will never bother you again".  Gene dropped out of school sometime during that year.

About 7 years ago I was on a Lynyrd Skynyrd web site and happened to see the name Gene Odom on the website so I contacted him through the website and asked him if it was possible he was the same Gene Odom I had known at Lake Shore Jr High School.  After all of these years he remembered me and yea it was the same Gene Odom.  As it turned out, Gene was planning to come to Pittsburgh a couple weeks later and after 50 years from our Jr High School Days I picked up Gene in my Monte Carlo and we attended a car show together.  We talked for hours.

Now, how does this all tie together with Lynyrd Skynyrd..... You see, Gene Odom was Ronnie Van Zant grew up best friends.  Gene Odom toured with the band and was Ronnie Van Zant's body guard.  Gene  Odom was on the plane with Ronnie and the band when it crashed, killing Ronnie and two members of the band died in that plane crash when the plane ran out of fuel. 

Now, you all know my only claim to fame.  Southern Rock will never die and songs like Freebird, Gimmie Three Steps, Sweet Home Alabama, Simple Man and many others will live on many years after I am long gone.  The current Lynyrd Skynyrd Band tours to Pittsburgh almost yearly.

Sorry for the long non Monte Carlo response.

rob

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Jumped in shortly after you, after all it is my only claim to fame

rob

Thanks for the flashback Rob …..Those were some great times … My youth was spent at LakeShore jr High and Robert E Lees as well. I was a few years ahead of you. 

Ed C