A 1970 SS restore/tidy up for sale

Cambo

Hello, My name is Cam and I have been asked by my dear friend to fix up/semi restore her 70SS in order to sell it. Someone has done some work to the car previously so my friend and I will have the task of fixing their screw-ups unfortunately . The rear quarters were replaced and not done right and the roof was replaced with the wrong colour vinyl as far as I can tell from the build sheet. The build sheet says color is 50 H -19 , I believe the 50 is Gobi Beige and the H I believe is for the vinyl roof as Dark Gold, can anyone tell me what the -19 is for? Also from what I read , both these colors are 1 year only colors, will that add to the cars value?

The car is missing a few things like the rear air shocks and related parts, how much will this effect the value?

Is there a place I can find out what the car is worth in todays market? I have recently read that the MC SS has finally started seeing the prices it deserves! 1 Car I saw sold at auction (Mecums I think) for over $100K, granted it was a high end restoration to new condition. I do not have the budget to do that level of restoration but the work we do will be very well done for sure, my friend is an aircraft mechanical engineer (structures) and paints them as well!

I will post some pictures after I recover a bit more from my knee replacement (and the snow goes away!)

thanks for your input/help guys!

Cam

• Like 3

My first question is what does the car look like as it sits.  If you are planning to do a restoration on the car you may be better off to sell it "As Is" because you will never sell it for what it is going to cost to restore it.  Without pictures it is impossible to give an estimate of the estimated value of it as it sits.  A lot of things come into play:

• Any visible or hidden rust issue?
  • interion condition?
  • original motor?
  • original transmission?
  • options?
  • condition of the undercarriage?
  • any alterations?
  • mileage?

On a restoration you can never get out of it what your put into it.  When buying a car it is always cheaper to buy one already restored than try to restore one to sell.

rob

• Like 3

thanks for the input guys!

I am aware that restoring a car like this is not going to pay me back however, the owner is basically giving me half of whatever the car sells for. Having said that, it is not why I want to do the work but to help her out. This car was her and her late husbands "baby" and now when she looks at it it is nothing but a painful reminder of her loss.

I will post pictures as soon as I am able.

On a funny note, I was looking at how to decifer the build sheet and noticed the example (from this forum) was of a car sold from Legion Motors in Mission BC ,Canada, my old town lol!!!

Well optioned car. As said, if you sell it as is, cash in hand will be less but you won’t have anything out of pocket either. I’d like to see pictures. Someone like me may be better off restoring that one than the pos70 I’m working on. Just a thought. 

• Like 2

Hey Cameron, Welcome to the club.  What a great optioned car!!!   I agree with the others. Saying a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. I am sure you know how much work it is to restore these cars. I for one know it. I would take what you can now especially after knee surgery. You might make more by selling her now then after you restore her to her original beauty and then settle on less of what you could have had before. Remember all these parts are getting harder and harder to find and more expensive when you do. Being you are from BC i will be guessing most of your OEM parts will be even more expensive getting them across the border. 

Not telling you what to do, just giving you a touch of what will be. Good Luck in your endeavor and we are ALL here to help when you need us!!

• Like 7

Something else to keep in mind. When a car, or anything for that matter, gets restored in brings the number of potential buyers down because the asking price goes up. Obviously. Some will say “ I would have done it this way” others will you should have done this or that. It’s going to be hard to please someone when they are spending a bunch ( hopefully) of money. An unrestored, as is will give all potential buyers the chance to see it in unmodified condition then they can see what they want to do. Just more food for thought. 

• Like 4