Fuel gauge?

My gauge does not read accurate after replacing it 3 times and still inaccurate, I did some research found out that some had to bend the arm to make it more accurate.  So I pulled the tank again and pulled sending unit and hook it up to bench test it. I moved the arm up and gauge went up to full as it was supposed to. So I bent the arm and retested it but now the gauge will not come off of full. I put another sending unit and it still stays on full. I'm kind of at a loss now. Anyone have any advice?

32 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I used the ground from my trailer wire which last tine I checked it was fine. Should the gauge come back down when the key it turned off, it didn't it stayed up to full?

Key on. Gas gauge stays at whatever level it is when key off. It does not go to empty when turned off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Check the ground. I believe if you have no ground the gauge will read full. Or visa versa. 🤔

Yep, that's how we tested gauge/wire's on the old blue ovals.  Ground one pin on wire to gauge, I believe ignition to start and gauge will peg full. 

• Like 1

Gonna get back down to garage probably tomorrow.  Went shopping this morning then pulled the tank out and my girlfriend came over we took her dog for a walk and went in camper to check and make sure everything is fine from winter nap. Busy day now I'm resting watching final 4

• Like 1

Ok bingo I found it, I just couldn't let it be. The plug where it goes in sending unit is bad so I cut the wite and tested again and it is in fact the plug not the wire. So now all I have to do is figure out a plug to plug into the top of the sending unit.

• Like 4

I think I have a plug here somewhere. Where is the question???  If I remember correctly the sender plug is fine but it broke off on the other end. If you want it you can have it, if I can find it. Let me know. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I think I have a plug here somewhere. Where is the question???  If I remember correctly the sender plug is fine but it broke off on the other end. If you want it you can have it, if I can find it. Let me know. 

Sure if you can find it that would be great. I asked Willie if he may have one too. Please let me know. 

• Like 1

Well I got the plug in the mail from Willie and it didn't work, it looked very close but would not stay on the terminal.  So I made an attempt to repair the old one with no success so I looked around for another idea to no avail. So I called American auto wire and they had one in stock so I have that coming now. I was hoping to be burning gas today but now I gotta wait for the new one. Thank you Willie for sending it and thank you Dennis for offering to look. At least now I know it's coming and hopefully will be right.

• Like 3

Sorry it didn't fit Steve!!  Could you have squeezed it alittle to make it work?  

Glad you got it ordered from American Auto wire.  We tried!!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, willie said:

Sorry it didn't fit Steve!!  Could you have squeezed it alittle to make it work?  

Glad you got it ordered from American Auto wire.  We tried!!

Yea I did tried to squeeze it a little and a couple other things too but it wasn't gonna hold. Thank you for trying. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I didn’t realize that they were different for different years. Now when I find mine I will have to tag the year of the car on it. 

The one he had was marked brake purporting valve but it did look very close but was just a little different size for the pin. So all 3 years may be the same.

Mark i think all 3 years are the same, but as Steve said i had 2 of them and one was marked proportional valve. They were the same size so we took a chance. Also these wires were the same color as the sender feed wire. Tan or light brown. It would of been nice if it worked, but we took a chance.

• Like 3

I did find mine. It’s perfect, both ends and still has the grommet and securing push pin, it’s from the 71 body. I compared it to my 70 and it’s identical. 

• Like 3

Thanks for looking Dennis good to know they are the same. Now I just hope the one they send me is right and it gets here sometime within reason. I'm going to Albany again next week for a few days so hopefully by the weekend I can get it installed.  But then again I'm going to my brother's Sat for a delayed Easter dinner because my sister had covid.its always something. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright update: it's finally done. The part came while I was out of town and was busy the last couple days but got to work on it today. I decided to do more testing before I put tank back in and good thing I did because the fuel pick up fell off sending unit inside the tank and I couldn't fish it out so luckily I had one in stock (as Tom says) so I used that. Got testing done it all works so I put tank back in but forgot to hook up wire. So back out it came. But all is done now and it seems to be working just fine. Put 6 gallons in its reading about 1/4 tank so I think it's close anyhow.  Thanks for all the help and advice I appreciate it. Now to burn some gas.

• Like 6

Well good news bad news, the car ran great going to the gas Station I filled it up and now the guage only goes up to 1/4 tank. I'm stumped guess I'll start over again next winter lol. I'm getting real tired of pulling the tank out of this car but getting good at it.

• Sad 1