Overspray

Took the Monte out for a ride little over a week ago, parked at a place and stayed there for roughly about an hour l. When I came back there was overspray all over the car. There were no signs of any painting, going on did not see a painting crew evidently they were blocked out by the other side of the building, trying to figure out a way to get it off without buffing through the clearcoat, which I do not know how thick it is. As you could probably guess I’m not too thrilled about it. Had a talk with the business owner. All they do is apologize that’s what we’ve turned into is a bunch of apologists. Don’t solve problems anymore but we know how to apologize. Painting crew takes no responsibility because they do not speak English.

John S

How thick is it? Maybe a clay bar if it's not too bad. There will be a lot of manual labor though. A solvent like 'bug & tar remover' may work also & isn't usually too harsh for clear coats (also something like pre-paint clean-up solvents such as DuPont First Clean, Prep-sol, etc). Depends on what type of paint is on there.

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, taking it to a good collision shop to get removed may be a safe option, but will cost you out pocket.

• Like 3

I have been using a synthetic clay bar on my DA buffer. Works great but stay off the edges, voice of experience. Griot's has them and a friend picked up some off of Amazon. Here is a photo of before and after, he also had it detailed The car had set in a body shop for 20 years under a plastic tarp.

TheIMG_2848.JPG

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Leghome said:

I have been using a synthetic clay bar on my DA buffer. Works great but stay off the edges, voice of experience. Griot's has them and a friend picked up some off of Amazon. Here is a photo of before and after, he also had it detailed The car had set in a body shop for 20 years under a plastic tarp.

TheIMG_2848.JPG

I have the Garots synthetic but it's the hand job one. It claims you can use water or detail spray. I've never tried water but it works well and really not that hard. Another good thing is if you drop it you can just spray it off and keep going.

Thanks for the responses. I was able to remove most of it with a lot of polishing. Never used the clay bar before but I’ll figure it out. Right now I plan on doing it myself. I do not want to take it to a shop or a detailer for fear that they may go through the clearcoat and then I will have to hear another apology at which point I will probably lose what is left of my sanity. Also going to have to figure out a way to get it off the vinyl top. Again, thank you for the responses. I’ll figure it out. 
John S

Just follow the instructions with the clay bar. Most will use some type of lubricant,  such as spray detailer, soap water solution, etc.

Good luck.