Value of my MC

Hello fellow club members,

I have been down sizing my classic cars and now thinking about selling my Monte Carlo. I don't seem to have the time to enjoy it.

I reached out to Hagerty Auctions and they came back with a reserve price they suggested. So I wanted to ask here your input from the ones that know best about 1st Gen MC!!

Mine is the 1972 "Custom" version with the original matching numbers 454BB & tranny. Have the original build sheet and a reproduced copy of the window sticker made from the build sheet. Other print material as well. The car is white and had one repaint years ago from the original owner but still shows very well. Original vinyl black top. It is in great shape but does have some shrinking on the back corners and sides. Has a day two 8-track player/radio from the 1970s but currently no working I bought the MC from the original family who's grandfather worked for Chevrolet and ordered the car. The Monte has power drivers seat, power locks and hand crank windows. Everything works including all lights. Only thing not working is the AC. Blower works but blowing warm. Currently has new Cragar SS rims and have the original rims along with trim rings and caps. The car has just over 140,000 miles but engine has around 500 miles. Trans was gone through. Has not been driven much with the hot rainy weather of Florida. I refuse to get it wet. Used for car shows where the car has won multiple awards. Rarely see a Monte Carlo and especially a '72 Custom 454 Big Block!!

Items replaced:

Engine Bay: hood insulation, inner wheel wells, aluminum radiator (have original), clutch fan, GM hoses, clamps, wiring harness, motor rebuilt with original crank (polished), roller rockers and mild cam, motor mounts, heater box, battery & Retro Delco cover, cowl vent covers, brake booster, master cylinder, brake system, AC converted

Exterior: Front & back bumpers, hood ornament, grill ornament, wheel well trim, rims, window tint

Underside: Sway bar bushings, exhaust system, Correct Exhaust tips, chrome differential cover, rear adjustable air shocks

Interior: Black bucket seat covers, new foam and lower springs on driver side (original rear seat), Chrome seat trim, arm rest chrome, kick plates, Quarts clock, dash bulbs, circuit board, dome light, rear view mirror, package tray, Monte Carlo script floor mattes, weather stripping on doors, window cranks. Currently has updated headliner in perfect condition but have a new original style headliner and bows.

Trunk: New weather stripping, floor matte, jack, spare BFG tire.

Extras to go with car: Headliner, Bows, NOE bumper guards in box special for the 454 model. rims, extra BFG tire, rings, caps, original radiator, extra power seat motor, chrome seat corner covers, new body mounts in box, original differential cover, Build sheet, copy of window sticker, binder with brochures, some receipts.

Side Notes:  Monte has been kept in an Climate controlled garage. Has two small rust holes the size of a quarter behind the rear wheels. The AC system was updated but has not been charged up. (I also still have R-12). The original owner as I mentioned worked for Chevrolet and custom ordered this MC. He went with the four spoke steering wheel and had them put on a 1972 Corvette air cleaner cover. The grandson (who I purchased it from) worked with NASCAR and told me about multiple drivers had driven the car including Dale Earnhardt. He never thought to take any photos which would had been great to have now. The other odd thing is the trunk key emblem is original to the car but they must of had left over ones when on the assembly line because it has the greek 1971 numbers on it.

I appreciate your time to read my novel. Just trying to get an idea what you think the value of my Monte Carlo is worth? I want to be fair and I know what I have into it but don't want to give it away!! I have attached a YouTube of my car. Note: it was taken before the new bucket seat covers were installed.

Thank you for your time!!

Kind regards, Jeff

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Jsd454 said:

Hello fellow club members,

I have been down sizing my classic cars and now thinking about selling my Monte Carlo. I don't seem to have the time to enjoy it.

I reached out to Hagerty Auctions and they came back with a reserve price they suggested. So I wanted to ask here your input from the ones that know best about 1st Gen MC!!

Mine is the 1972 "Custom" version with the original matching numbers 454BB & tranny. Have the original build sheet and a reproduced copy of the window sticker made from the build sheet. Other print material as well. The car is white and had one repaint years ago from the original owner but still shows very well. Original vinyl black top. It is in great shape but does have some shrinking on the back corners and sides. Has a day two 8-track player/radio from the 1970s but currently no working I bought the MC from the original family who's grandfather worked for Chevrolet and ordered the car. The Monte has power drivers seat, power locks and hand crank windows. Everything works including all lights. Only thing not working is the AC. Blower works but blowing warm. Currently has new Cragar SS rims and have the original rims along with trim rings and caps. The car has just over 140,000 miles but engine has around 500 miles. Trans was gone through. Has not been driven much with the hot rainy weather of Florida. I refuse to get it wet. Used for car shows where the car has won multiple awards. Rarely see a Monte Carlo and especially a '72 Custom 454 Big Block!!

Items replaced:

Engine Bay: hood insulation, inner wheel wells, aluminum radiator (have original), clutch fan, GM hoses, clamps, wiring harness, motor rebuilt with original crank (polished), roller rockers and mild cam, motor mounts, heater box, battery & Retro Delco cover, cowl vent covers, brake booster, master cylinder, brake system, AC converted

Exterior: Front & back bumpers, hood ornament, grill ornament, wheel well trim, rims, window tint

Underside: Sway bar bushings, exhaust system, Correct Exhaust tips, chrome differential cover, rear adjustable air shocks

Interior: Black bucket seat covers, new foam and lower springs on driver side (original rear seat), Chrome seat trim, arm rest chrome, kick plates, Quarts clock, dash bulbs, circuit board, dome light, rear view mirror, package tray, Monte Carlo script floor mattes, weather stripping on doors, window cranks. Currently has updated headliner in perfect condition but have a new original style headliner and bows.

Trunk: New weather stripping, floor matte, jack, spare BFG tire.

Extras to go with car: Headliner, Bows, NOE bumper guards in box special for the 454 model. rims, extra BFG tire, rings, caps, original radiator, extra power seat motor, chrome seat corner covers, new body mounts in box, original differential cover, Build sheet, copy of window sticker, binder with brochures, some receipts.

Side Notes:  Monte has been kept in an Climate controlled garage. Has two small rust holes the size of a quarter behind the rear wheels. The AC system was updated but has not been charged up. (I also still have R-12). The original owner as I mentioned worked for Chevrolet and custom ordered this MC. He went with the four spoke steering wheel and had them put on a 1972 Corvette air cleaner cover. The grandson (who I purchased it from) worked with NASCAR and told me about multiple drivers had driven the car including Dale Earnhardt. He never thought to take any photos which would had been great to have now. The other odd thing is the trunk key emblem is original to the car but they must of had left over ones when on the assembly line because it has the greek 1971 numbers on it.

I appreciate your time to read my novel. Just trying to get an idea what you think the value of my Monte Carlo is worth? I want to be fair and I know what I have into it but don't want to give it away!! I have attached a YouTube of my car. Note: it was taken before the new bucket seat covers were installed.

Thank you for your time!!

Kind regards, Jeff

Very sharp monte you have  .good luck with sale 

Very nice looking, running and sounding car. While I’m not going to put a value on someone else’s car I do know that these are sought after cars. I will say that the one I just purchased, while not nearly as nice but excellent interior, rebuilt engine and 95 percent original, the previous owner was asking 22,000. And of course that was negotiated down to a price point that warranted me buying it. Good luck with your sale, that is a great car. 

• Like 6

There are some valuation tools out there to help you figure out what you Monte is worth. Hagerty Insurance has one, or whichever insurance company you currently use for your Monte may have one too. It also depends on the current market, how you decide to market your vehicle, with detailed photos, videos, documentation, selling it online thru various commercial dealer websites, EBay Motors, Facebook Marketplace, thru a broker, or selling it privately. I believe that having a recent well documented appraisal with current valuation and sources to back it up, will greatly help you to know the value and to be fair in selling your Monte or any classic vehicle. It all comes down to what someone is willing to pay for it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Montemedic said:

It all comes down to what someone is willing to pay for it. 

Most important thing right there

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Yes, it comes down to what someone is willing to pay!! I see MC prices all over the spectrum from auctions and other places. Most are not Big Block or Custom package or paperwork so that was why I was inquiring. Spoke with Hagerty and I would have to get a power of attorney and notarized paperwork along with sending in my original Title. Not to comfortable with sending off the title. May just try doing some self advertising to see the interest level.