Code A85 On build Sheet

Rob Peters

A question has been presented to me about build sheet code.  Code A85 which from what I can find is for Deluxe Shoulder Harness.  Can anyone tell me what option this was.  Apparently very few Monte's were produced with this  option but I can't find what it is.  My Monte has the Deluxe Seat Belts code is AK1 which would include the shoulder harness.

I am wondering if maybe the Deluxe Shoulder Harness may be for the rear seat.

Any thoughts????

rob

I've been trying to find info or pictures, but all it looks like is it wasn't ordered in any large numbers, at least on the Chevelle info sites.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

What year car?

Sorry, I meant to say it is a 71 and according to the build sheet it is an SS.

rob

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Sorry, I meant to say it is a 71 and according to the build sheet it is an SS.

rob

Unfortunately,  as mentioned above, I couldn't find much, for any of the typical 68-72 years.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dtret said:

It’s something???

IMG_5751.png

IMG_5752.png

I found that in a couple places, doesn't really tell much though, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I had fouud that online too.  No, it doesn't help much and just verified what I already knew.   Again, I wonder if it is rear seat shoulder belt.  Thanks for the input.

rob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Again, I wonder if it is rear seat shoulder belt.  Thanks for the input.

rob

I think the A85 refers to a deluxe front shoulder belt. AS4 appears to be for the deluxe rear shoulder harness, on some other lists for Chevelle. You would need to order A39 Deluxe front and rear seat belts as well (lowers), it seems, to coincide with the A85 Deluxe Shoulder belts.

I did find something from the F-bodies, though it's obviously a different platform. There are quite a few references to the A85 code in the article.  In their case, it was a different buckle & latch clip design. If you look at the top & also scroll down a bit, it shows the differences in the buckles & latches:

http://www.camaros.org/seatbelt.shtml

Here is a pic though of what they consider standard & Deluxe in the F-Body:

buckles.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mon-tss said:

mine shows it but they just look like deluxe belts nothing really different about them

it's 71 ss

What do the buckles look like, plastic or metal?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mon-tss said:

metal

Thanks Lyle!

We might be on to something here Rob.......

The buckles in my 72 Custom are of the metal type too, but doesn't appear on my window sticker (no build sheet available). Doesn't appear in any sales info regarding 'Custom' package options, nor in a build sheet from my other Custom (thought it does show AK1 - DLX BLTS & HRN). Maybe Willie & Dennis can confirm what belts are in their Custom's, maybe it's an un-documented part of that package?

Checking in the GM Heritage info, they show code AK1 as deluxe, metal buckles, but no mention of A85

buckles1.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mon-tss said:

I will get some pics in a while

Lyle

If it's like the ones in my Custom, they'll look like this:

20230730_080131.jpg

• Like 1

Just for grins, I've been searching thru forum pics of seat belts. Seems like some of the cars have the metal buckles, though I did find a plastic buckle set that was for sale. I don't know,...

Looked at Streetside Auto, past sales of Montes. Lot of black buckle cars there, with metal ones too.

Looking at a different Chevelle code list, it lists:

• AK1 Custom Deluxe Seat Belts     *(appears to be the full set, lowers & shoulder belts)
  • A39 Custom Deluxe front and rear Seat Belts     *(this would be the lowers)
  • A85 Deluxe Shoulder Harness

Dennis confirmed his Custom has the AK1 belts, and the 70 & 71 have the black plastic buckles.

• Like 1

Ok here's what I found out.

Checked my build sheets; found 6 with this option. All 71. 5 SS one non SS

Looks like they all had AK1,A39,and A85

Had some other ones with just   ak1 

I think the difference is mine has the big buckles for the shoulder harnesses only, rest are little ones.

So if anyone has deluxe belts without the A85 option maybe they can chime in and see if they have small shoulder buckles.

DSCN8425.JPG

DSCN8427.JPG

DSCN8426.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

Probably nothing new here. I ordered the deluxe seat belts for my 71 NON SS from Canada. I remember when I replaced the ft seat belts with the 3 point seat belt kits from Morris, there was an option of the small metal buckles or large plastic buckles. I paid more for the small metal ones. Here is the build info I ordered from Canada years ago.

Build info no vin.jpg

• Like 2

Just thought of this, bench seat vs bucket seats used a different female buckle, when I ordered them from Morris, I ordered both so if I ever instal the buckets I have in my basement, I can switch to the shorter belt. (never going to happen..............)

IMG_0383-1.JPG

• Like 3

Hey Guys on my 72 Custom on the build sheet it has code "AV3 3 point seat belt"  and it has the bigger plastic buckle, and the same buckle up top for the shoulder harness, back has only lap belts, No shoulder harness.

On my Classi Copper 71SS "THERE IS NO CODE" on the Build Sheet. But in box 67 Seat Belts it says "S-BLK". I am guessing Standard-Black (Dont remember what was in there i will have to check)

On my Blue 71SS  The same as the last NO CODE  and Build Sheet in box 67 "S-BLK  (This car is not apart but i am pretty sure it has black and Deluxe, with shoulder harness in the front only.

I have a 72 350 parts car with half a Build Sheet, i dont see any code for seat belts. And in box 66 it states Shoulder Harness #8416 and box 67 (cant make it out) with # 1282

Hope this helps guys!!!

• Like 1

My 70 Monte has a bench seat.  it has the metal Deluxe Seat Belts code AK1. 

The rear seat has 3 metal adjustable buckles in the back seat. 

The front has 3 of the Large metal adjustable buckles and 2 of the small buckles.  The two Small buckles are for the driver and passenger retractable lap belts and the three front Large metal adjustable buckles, one for the center front seat passenger the other two are for the driver and passenger shoulder belts.

rob

• Like 2