Used Door Panels - don't fit

GregdHampton

I acquired a couple of used door panels for VERY cheap, thinking they'd fit.  They don't seem to though, the holes on the new door panels seem to be 1/2 - 3/4 inch too high for the door.  The door panel itself fits on the door fine, but the holes are off, including the holes for the window crank and door handle.  The car is a 1970 but I'm thinking the panels may be 1971 or 1972.  I noticed the pull strap is slightly forward on the "new" door panels too.

Is this expected or should the holes line up?  The black door panel is the "new" one in the picture.

IMG_2256 (1).jpeg

Not sure why the holes do not line up but the black panels are 71-72. The metal "pins" on the back of the panels are moveable to an extent to  be able to line up with the holes in the doors. 

The bottom seems short to me too.  Here's a pic.  I'll measure later, I'm pretty sure it'll show the same shortness.  I'm 100% positive I have the top of the door panel seated too.  At first I thought I must have it somehow not down all the way.  Unless maybe those clips on the top of the door that the door panel rests on are too tall for this door panel?  These only cost $40 so I'm not too worried about it. 

IMG_2264.jpeg

They’re definitely too high. Is the top of the panel seating tightly against the weather stripping as the photo of my 71 shows? Also the pull straps are in a different location. Your 70 is centered with the armrest base. Your new panels, like mine are closer to being centered with the armrest base and the tip of the latch handle.IMG_1327.thumb.jpeg.f8a5de5a680354d46a91bdde9d3b1128.jpeg

Hey Greg, are those the only panels that don't fit? Meaning are you changing the 1/4 window panels also? If so how do they fit? 

I do agree that they got soaked at one time and shrunk. The doors from all 3 years are interchangeable. so its not the doors.

• Like 1

I have a feeling you need to adjust the top clips that the door panel hangs on so it can drop the panel a little. The top rails of my my 1971 panels sit lower than my 1970 panels.

Thank you all.  I am only changing the door front door panels and not the rears at this time.  I'm thinking they shrunk from being damp or they are in fact a little shorter for whatever reason.  I measured the distance of the crank/handle holes to the top of the panel and they are definitely shorter than the original.   I THINK I can get them close enough and maybe do some creative trimming to get them mounted.  Thanks again!