Center Console.

EVC

Does anyone know of a possible after market or modifiable coffee cup holder that will replace the small junk collectors on each side of the console ?   Color matching will be no issue….  I've seen most of the stuff on amazon and in the part houses..     

I've hated those useless things for 53 years and it's time to make them more practical…

At one time they worked ok with my razor phone, but those days a gone. Time to make better use of this space. 

Ed C

IMG_0433.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 2:18 PM, overdrive said:

I use mine everytime I park the car, especially at car shows. They were designed to hold the seat belt buckles and they fit perfectly. 

Dan

I use mine as well!

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 2

On 11/16/2023 at 2:37 PM, EVC said:

Does anyone know of a possible after market or modifiable coffee cup holder that will replace the small junk collectors on each side of the console ?   Color matching will be no issue….  I've seen most of the stuff on amazon and in the part houses..     

I've hated those useless things for 53 years and it's time to make them more practical…

At one time they worked ok with my razor phone, but those days a gone. Time to make better use of this space. 

Ed C

IMG_0433.jpeg

The only one I know of is from cupholders.com. It’s called a plug n chug. Fits in the ashtray it will work straight out of the box for an automatic but if you have a four speed, you will have to do what I did remove the cupholder inserts and remove the extension which is held on by quarter inch nuts and studs Drill two more holes on the left side of the cupholder then the shifter won’t hit it. I haven’t installed and tried mine yet, but by my measurements it should work.

• Thank You! 1

If you go to the cars and parts for sale leads category and open the Mecum Jan. 2024 post, by DragCat check the interior of the 72. That might be the holder you’re referring to. My only concern might be the integrity of the ashtray assembly with the weight of 2 large drinks. 

• Thank You! 1

10 hours ago, John S said:

The only one I know of is from cupholders.com. It’s called a plug n chug. Fits in the ashtray it will work straight out of the box for an automatic but if you have a four speed, you will have to do what I did remove the cupholder inserts and remove the extension which is held on by quarter inch nuts and studs Drill two more holes on the left side of the cupholder then the shifter won’t hit it. I haven’t installed and tried mine yet, but by my measurements it should work.

Appreciate the info, Mark.

I found two very decent looking, heavy duty, but flexible plastic, round cup holders in my "world famous" junk area. I can mount them just in front of stock holders or remove the current holders and replace them with the new. I did a mock up check and they will fit perfectly with no interference to the leg, seat space, shifter or gauges. They will also hold our 16 oz cups. 

I'll probably overthink this for another year, but I'll make some proper reinforced side mounts, with hidden minimal invasion to the side of the console, and paint them to match. It'll work and be functional. I may even use the existing holes that mount the stock holder. 

The ash tray was blocked long ago by my stereo, back up camera, key/door FOB, and alarm systems. As most can see, the clearances are tight,,, but coffee holders are essential for our long road trips. I've complained about this for 53 years now… Time to do it. Someday,  I may even replace that white gauge with the new one I purchased about three years ago. 

Ed C

On 12/14/2023 at 9:39 AM, sbarnette said:

I use mine as well!

Sammy, 

Speaking about seat belts. 

Changing the stock seat belts is on my list.

Trying to get out of the stock belts in an accident could be a real problem, especially for some handicapped people. 

It was a crappy design then and it's a hazard now.  As I recall, most people never used the upper belt back in the early 70's  and probably very few do now.

Some of the kids today can't even figure out how to roll the manual windows up or down. For them , the convoluted seat belt 'thingydo" may as well have been from outer space. 

Just my humbled opinion .. I hope the car shows don't take points off for seat belt changes. 

Ed C.

On 12/12/2023 at 11:18 AM, overdrive said:

I use mine everytime I park the car, especially at car shows. They were designed to hold the seat belt buckles and they fit perfectly. 

Dan

29 minutes ago, EVC said:
On 12/12/2023 at 11:18 AM, overdrive said:

Dan

Dan , As I recall they also made great holders for the cassette tapes during the mid 70's and 80's... Thanks for the info .. 

Ed 

9 hours ago, EVC said:

Appreciate the info, Mark.

I found two very decent looking, heavy duty, but flexible plastic, round cup holders in my "world famous" junk area. I can mount them just in front of stock holders or remove the current holders and replace them with the new. I did a mock up check and they will fit perfectly with no interference to the leg, seat space, shifter or gauges. They will also hold our 16 oz cups. 

I'll probably overthink this for another year, but I'll make some proper reinforced side mounts, with hidden minimal invasion to the side of the console, and paint them to match. It'll work and be functional. I may even use the existing holes that mount the stock holder. 

The ash tray was blocked long ago by my stereo, back up camera, key/door FOB, and alarm systems. As most can see, the clearances are tight,,, but coffee holders are essential for our long road trips. I've complained about this for 53 years now… Time to do it. Someday,  I may even replace that white gauge with the new one I purchased about three years ago. 

Ed C

Not sure if you saw what I did. It’s posted in the General forums under cupholder/wireless speaker holder for center console. It only helps the driver though.