Crossmember

Ian

I was looking at some pictures of Mickeys 4 speed conversion and noticed he said he had to mount the crossmember a different way..

Conversion143-vi.jpg

My new exhaust is pretty close to the crossmember, do you think I could do this with my TH400 (soon to be 700R4) I have not looked at mine yet to see what way it is pointing, but I think it is the other way...

If you you are not able to spring for a aftermarket cross member. You could do what I did and just cut a stress relief in it, bend it where you need it to be, weld it back up, grind the weld smooth, paint and presto a custom cross member of your own. Soon I'll be getting one of the custom ones from P.A.T.C.

I think the issue is that I may have it in backwards. In the picture above the mount is to the rear of the car, I looked under mine this morning, and the mount is facing the front of the car. I'll take a picture this weekend.

Ian.. the factory crossmember fits in the correct orientation smile

errm.. well.. now that I say that.. I have an Impala crossmember, not a monte carlo... that way mine bolts directly to the frame w/o the rubber cushions.. however because the imapala had the X-frame, the 'arches' in the crossmember are very close to the center of the car.. I just had the exhaust shop run the exhaust so that it fit smile

my pipes sit just a 1/2" away from my driveshaft loop...

Mine is also installed with the trans mount forward. I didn't realize it could be done the other way.

With the main bar under the tail housing of the trans instead of having it forward near the pan, I'd expect it would be a lot easier to service the trans or remove the engine if you had to.

OK took some pictures, mine is facing the front right now. Would it hurt to turn it the other way for clearance? The exhaust is the MagnaFlow with a X pipe crossover.

SD200_5024.JPG

SD200_5023.JPG

Ian I dont think with the automatic it can be turned backwards like it is shown with the 4speed . The pipe would be into the oil pan I believe.