Scottsdale - Barrett Jackson Auction

Montemedic

Did anyone watch the Auction yesterday or last night? I was amazed by the prices they were getting for the vehicles. I don’t know if they had all high rollers in the room bidding or it’s the winter doldrums with very little going on. Unbelievable prices paid for square body pickups, Broncos and Blazers all selling between $100-250K !!! Gullwing Mercedes - $3.2Million ??? 6 Porsche’s for $500K-1 million ??? A barnfind 1987 Buick GN-X with the plastic still on the seats and dust-dirt still on it with all the bumper to body filler panels, discolored, cracked, falling out or missing, $250K ??? I believe that auction may have been their largest grossing event ever. If you get the opportunity to watch the reruns, check it out. 

• Like 4

Between Mecum and Barrett-Jackson Many millions of dollars spent on classic cars this year already. Old car market is booming, stock market having record highs, guess life is good if you are rich. Ready for some trickle down

• Like 2

Unfortunately, those prices take the average JOE out of it. People who work all their life and when they retire and want to buy a car they had in their past, maybe to relive younger days, or buy a classic car to drive around in simply cannot afford it. And I’m sure a number of these high roller buyers are simply going to put the car in storage For a future flip or maybe flip it sooner. I might get push back on this, but that’s why cars have wheels and tires on them, to drive. If you want to buy something that you’re simply going to park buy a house. That Davis and Jackson guy don’t help matters. I believe some of these sellers have quiet agreements with those two guys. A number of times the bidding will stop on a vehicle and one of those two guys will step in talk it up to get more money, take the average guy out of it, sell it to the high roller. I’ve watched enough of these auctions. It’s the same thing every time. OK I’ve vented for this week now I feel better. 
John S

• Like 4

I watched a little during the week, didn't see much over 50K which is the norm and nothing I was interested in. Always fri/sat are big money days with the primo cars way out of my pocket book range . Saw a 71 Merc Cougar 429 vert gavel for 150K, concours restoration and of course very nice. That kind of coin I'd be afraid to drive it and so its useless to me. 

The other thing I’ve noticed is the amount of vehicles listed in  Hemmings that are dealer sales. I tried to find some percentages but it appears to be at least 75-80%. How many are consignment I don’t know, but they must have buyers at auctions. Otherwise where are they getting them from. It seems endless. One dealer I noticed (beginning with the letter V) asks top dollar, and it makes me wonder who’s buying these things? I know Barrett saves the real high dollar stuff for the prime time viewing. I guess to the investors it’s no different than playing the stock markets. So many of the vehicles seem to be on a revolving tour of the auction houses. 

22 hours ago, John S said:

Unfortunately, those prices take the average JOE out of it. People who work all their life and when they retire and want to buy a car they had in their past, maybe to relive younger days, or buy a classic car to drive around in simply cannot afford it. And I’m sure a number of these high roller buyers are simply going to put the car in storage For a future flip or maybe flip it sooner. I might get push back on this, but that’s why cars have wheels and tires on them, to drive. If you want to buy something that you’re simply going to park buy a house. That Davis and Jackson guy don’t help matters. I believe some of these sellers have quiet agreements with those two guys. A number of times the bidding will stop on a vehicle and one of those two guys will step in talk it up to get more money, take the average guy out of it, sell it to the high roller. I’ve watched enough of these auctions. It’s the same thing every time. OK I’ve vented for this week now I feel better. 
John S

John, I digress. I have bought many cars at Barrett and there is literally something for everybody. Unless your last name is Leno, Zucherberg, or Trump, you probably should not be pining after a Gullwing Benz, an L72 67 Vette, or a 427 AC Cobra. 

Early auction coverage usually doesn't make tv, so just check out the docket online to see where some of the blue collar cars sell for. 

• Like 5