Ignition issue!

After 26 long years of not running, yesterday was a monumental moment. my 71 will start but won’t stay running, when you let go of the key and a retracts back to the accessory position, the engine dies. I’ve had the steering column rebuilt and soldered in the connectors the best of my ability. If anybody has a picture of the wiring that goes into the steering column, please share it. When I get home today I’ll post what mine look like. Can’t wait to take it for a drive. The last time this car has ran and I was driving it way back in 1998.

Edited by Zebb71

Sounds like the old mopars when the ballest resistor goes bad. If you put a jumper wire from + battery post to + side of coil and it stays running that will tell you. Then you'll have to find where your loosing contact. Just a thought. 

• Thank You! 1

Best pic I have.

On my 71, I swapped out my fixed column for a tilt column years ago.

I love the tilt vs fixed.

My 71 is all stock for the ignition, dist and coil.

IMG_0359_close up.JPG

It retracts to the acc and not the on position? It has to go past off to get to acc. I had a 79 Firebird that when it retracted back to the on position it would die. That turned out to be a bad ignition switch. What made it a tough repair was that  it took 3 switches to get a good one. I ended up bringing a continuity tester to the parts store on my 3rd try to get a good one.

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

Hello Leo, and welcome. :)

I had an issue something similar on a '76 Chev C-10 years ago.

when the key was in the off position, the accessories still had power.....

I found that the actual ignition switch on the column was loose and out of adjustment. Sometimes they get that way as they get older.

By the way, is your Monte a column or console shift ?

• Thank You! 1

It could also be a bad Ignition switch. Years ago we had Rick Eickenfels  come to Hiawassee GA meet and his switch failed. It would start and when he let off of the key it died. A couple of the copper contacts had fallen over or worn and it did not make contact with the run terminals in the switch. I disassembled the switch and showed him what happened. T he reason I know this was I built those switches for a few years.

• Like 4
  • Thank You! 1

17 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Hello Leo, and welcome. :)

I had an issue something similar on a '76 Chev C-10 years ago.

when the key was in the off position, the accessories still had power.....

I found that the actual ignition switch on the column was loose and out of adjustment. Sometimes they get that way as they get older.

By the way, is your Monte a column or console shift ?

It is a floor shifter, I’m going to look at the ignition switch and see if it’s wired proper. 

16 hours ago, Leghome said:

It could also be a bad Ignition switch. Years ago we had Rick Eickenfels  come to Hiawassee GA meet and his switch failed. It would start and when he let off of the key it died. A couple of the copper contacts had fallen over or worn and it did not make contact with the run terminals in the switch. I disassembled the switch and showed him what happened. T he reason I know this was I built those switches for a few years.

Sweet, I replaced it with a new one but new sometimes aren’t new! Lol

With the key turned forward check for voltage to the coil. Not while cranking, you know you have it then. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the help, I did use a jumper to get the cam broke in. I found that the ignition switch plug, although pushed in all the way one of the wires didn’t connect. Happen to be the pink wire for the distributor. I ended up using a pedal nose and pushed it in. So we are off to remedy a few leaks, and a worn out transmission cable.

IMG_1465.jpeg

IMG_1466.jpeg

• Like 6

Good news that you found the problem, Leo.

Sometimes it's the simple, but hidden things that cause troubles. And people wonder why I hate working on cars, lol.

• Haha 4

On 3/9/2024 at 11:57 AM, jft69z said:

Good news that you found the problem, Leo.

Sometimes it's the simple, but hidden things that cause troubles. And people wonder why I hate working on cars, lol.

And here I thought it was because your easy chair wasn't in the garage..... :k

• Like 2