Floor Shifter column out of alignment

Factory "horseshoe" shifter, the area of concern is the column area where a "column shift" handle would normally be. I don't have that nor do I have any shifter positions in my gauge cluster. I believe this to be original, but the issue is the area where the "column shift" arm would protrude is "slipping" a little so when you try to remove the key, it won't come out unless you grab that area with your left hand and rotate it back to the left about a 1/2 inch, at which time you can pull the key from the ignition.

Any ideas how to fix this, it's a new one on me.

Thanks,

Dennis Bagwell

Both of your issues could be related to the cable being out of adjustment. Adjustment or new shift cable ( if stretched) should correct both the constant shifter and the shift collar on the column. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John S said:

Or it could be the back drive rod needs adjustment.

Thank for the reply, now...What does this mean? Where is that and how do I adjust ?  😕👀

Dennis Bagwell

Probably easier from under the drivers side. The rod connects to the steering column and has a locking ( with a bolt) slider on the rod. Loosen the bolt a little bit and push the rod to the column up and tighten the bolt. You should be able to see how much it moved by the lack of surface rust on the rod. 

IMG_7298.jpeg

IMG_7299.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Dennis.... I've got a question regarding the linkage you posted a photo of.

When I swapped in the 200r4 into Montelishi, none of that linkage existed, except for the bracket on the frame. Everything is done by cable. 

Just wondering if this linkage was installed on all Montes..... 

Scott.

I believe your talking about the "steering column lockout" arm, (yea one of the few correct terms I learned and sort of remembered 🤣) As Dennis said it's adjustable. Some of us, had an issue with that when we added headers (altho some of us MAY have tried to reinstall backwards, I haven't returned to that issue yet 🤣) I currently still have it zip tied in the up position without the arm going to the tranny 😮

• Haha 1

I would definitely address the cable adjustment/replacement first. That may correct the collar position on the steering column. Also make sure the nylon bushing that supports the other end of the linkage arm that runs from the transmission shifter shaft to the support attached to the frame is not worn or maybe even missing.

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

3 hours ago, Scott S. said:

Hey Dennis.... I've got a question regarding the linkage you posted a photo of.

When I swapped in the 200r4 into Montelishi, none of that linkage existed, except for the bracket on the frame. Everything is done by cable. 

Just wondering if this linkage was installed on all Montes..... 

Scott.

Yes. Floor or column shift. I cannot say for sure on a 4 speed (or 3 speed) but I would assume so. It was installed for safety and security. I was all part of the plan when the ignition key was moved from the dash to the column. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

Yes. Floor or column shift. I cannot say for sure on a 4 speed (or 3 speed) but I would assume so. It was installed for safety and security. I was all part of the plan when the ignition key was moved from the dash to the column. 

A 4 or 3 speed manual on the floor also has the "back drive" it locks the column and shifter when the key was removed. Factory theft deterrent.

• Like 1