Shock replacement recommendation?

So I have changed my '72 from a stock iron 454 to everything being aluminum except the block. My car sits up too high in the front now. So I think I should do away with the spring assisted shocks that were there. I have never purchased front shocks. Seems like an important choice. I live in the mountains and do still need a stiff ride as it's curvy everywhere I go. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Remove the shocks and see how it sits. You’re probably looking at springs also. After some member input (thanks Joe) I’m ordering a set of Bilsteins. They are on the high side of the price scale though. About $390 for 4 on Amazon + tax. There are others for 1/2 the price.

• Like 5

I initially had put KYB shocks on my Monte (72 Custom which includes the larger front sway bar that the F41 suspension offered). Car seemed to be a little soft with those shocks on it, especially on the highway. I decided to try the Bilstein's after that. As mentioned, they cost more, but do seem to ride better and provide more control. Only thing I did was remove the stickers, paint them, then re-apply the trimmed down stickers. I painted the blue boot with black vinyl dye as well.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19368-new-guy-here/page/37/#comment-255389

• Like 3

I recommend the Bilstein shocks as well. I have had them for several years and they perform quite well, limiting body roll and helping with cornering immensely. 

That being said, the ride height is determined by the springs and if your car sits too high you may want to consider swapping those out after checking the height without shocks as recommended by Mark 

• Like 3

I switched from KYB's to Bilstein's as well.... Haven't got it on the road yet, but after finding that the KYB's had drained out over the winter, I decided that a good shock is worth the extra $$$. 

• Like 2

I should have mentioned that I have 2" lower springs going in. Not just for the reason above, but I wanted the stance a little lower before the engine change. But I'll keep the shock out with the shorter spring and see how it looks.  

Sorry for such a late response. I was at a memorial for my sister-in-law. It looks like James, Scott and Joe got you taken care of. I chose the Bilsteins based on Joes recommendation. The 2” drop coils seem like the way to go to offset the lighter engine combo. You may want to check the spring rate with the factory rate. Because  your engine combo is now lighter you may not get the 2” drop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbolt said:

It’s funny because Amazon had them listed for about that price 3 weeks ago, now it’s up about $35. Although the shipping was free so it may be a wash if the Tire Rack is charging for shipping. Both Amazon and Summit were showing 24-131506 as a part number for the fronts. I’ll have to check into that.

54 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

Both Amazon and Summit were showing 24-131506 as a part number for the fronts. I’ll have to check into that.

Those are the same front ones I got for my Monte, from Amazon. They were $77 at the time (May 2023), and $91 now, in stock, free shipping, would be delivered on Monday. The Tire Rack number looks like it is for 1973 and later applications, at least in Summit's application list. The number above I used, has 1968-72 listed.

Amazon also has the rears (24-009294) in stock $94, deliverable by Sunday. Don't know why Tire Rack says June.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

This is the best deal for Bilstein that I've found:

https://www.jegs.com/i/BMR-Suspension/142/BSN-A-68-72/10002/-1

That does look like a good deal, especially with Jegs offering free shipping. Jegs didn't offer much info on that kit, but the info from BMR seems to confirm they're the same part numbers I had used.

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1017

58 minutes ago, jft69z said:

That does look like a good deal, especially with Jegs offering free shipping. Jegs didn't offer much info on that kit, but the info from BMR seems to confirm they're the same part numbers I had used.

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1017

Why did I have to open this thread?   Shocks on the way....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, FrankOC said:

You know we always like helping others spend their money 💰 😄.

Just in time for Carlisle & Syracuse too.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FrankOC said:

8 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

This is the best deal for Bilstein that I've found:

https://www.jegs.com/i/BMR-Suspension/142/BSN-A-68-72/10002/-1

The place I ordered mine from is in Vancouver,Canada.... Saved the duty fees !! 

They don't list Montes on their site, but have a good selection of Chevelle parts. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JP_AstroMan said:

Alright folks...I did some research and listened to your advice. But I went with a cheaper option MAINLY because I can test them out and return them if needed. Made in Japan https://a.co/d/5zh7dde

I had those, replaced them with the Bilsteins. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 10:36 AM, JP_AstroMan said:

Alright folks...I did some research and listened to your advice. But I went with a cheaper option MAINLY because I can test them out and return them if needed. Made in Japan https://a.co/d/5zh7dde

KYB has been around for just over 100 years, so they must be doing something right. They make a good shock. Had them on my 78 3/4 ton Chevy truck and they lasted many years. The consensus is the Bilsteins are better. But they’re twice as much money, and depending on your budget, and with the other modifications  you are doing, the $$ rack up quickly, so I get where you’re coming from.

• Like 5

Took Montelishi out for her first run on the new Bilsteins..... I'd have to say I liked them. 

I understand your point Mark, but after the KYB's failed in less than one season, I figured the extra $$$ was worth a try. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Took Montelishi out for her first run on the new Bilsteins..... I'd have to say I liked them. 

I understand your point Mark, but after the KYB's failed in less than one season, I figured the extra $$$ was worth a try. 

Less than 1 season? That’s bad. Were you able to recoup your money through a warranty?

• Like 2

If your KYBs failed that soon, they are defective. I installed 4 KYB Gas Adjust shocks on my 62 Impala SS 11 years ago, now after 15000 miles they still give excellent handling and  ride. I recently installed them on my 70 MC SS 454 on the front and like them. After experiencing a very harsh ride on a 3500 Chevy van and on an 87 Camaro with Bilsteins, I will never purchase them again.