Shock replacement recommendation?

17 hours ago, Marks71 said:

Less than 1 season? That’s bad. Were you able to recoup your money through a warranty?

Nope.... By the time the snow had melted and I was able to see what had happened, It had been just over a year from the purchase date. :(

• Sad 2

So I'm having a hard time believing this but wanted to see what you folks think. I installed the two inch drop spring + the new KYB shock. It dropped about 4" and was hideous (see photo). Then I tried installing the old spring assisted shock with the 2" lowering spring and now it's sitting higher than ever before (see second photo). What the heck am I forgetting here?? The previous setup had the spring assisted shock plus a coil that is several inches taller. So how can the car be higher now? I've bounced the car and it feels normal...but not settling.PXL_20240427_221451108.thumb.jpg.7bffa1c55118f078b82ac55a8f6dd9c5.jpgPXL_20240428_183821232.thumb.jpg.058a3050cbf0bb331bbcdb52d39b770b.jpg

I had posted a response about removing your old shocks and then seeing how it sits with your existing coils. How did that work? Or were the coils already removed at that time?

I wonder if they sent the wrong coils? Maybe for a small block? Worth checking into. What info did they require when ordering?

With no shock it sits crazy low. One issue I'm having is the spring-assisted shock (pic below) is too wide to slip up from the bottom. So I have to take everything apart to try any combo with that thing. Anyhow, I'm thinking in order to achieve the exact same height as the rear, I need adjustability. 

The red BMR springs came in a kit I bought a long time ago for a different project... I'm certain they aren't big block rated but my thinking is this big block weighs about the same as a stock small block. 

Any thoughts on these adjustable Coil spacers?

PXL_20240428_2031374952.thumb.jpg.06678cd759903a6047967891d23d154b.jpgScreenshot_20240428-162814.thumb.png.d82f102f041ad83a7ef17e9dc17b95a5.png

If the other project wasn’t a big block Monte with similar options as yours, then  I think it’s a crap shoot to get it right. There are so many variables what with spring heights and rates. The adjustable spacers may be a bandaid fix for height but what about ride and handling? I’m hoping Some of the other members chime in on this. What were the 2” drop coils originally for?

On "Big Red" I have qa1 single adjustable coilovers in the front. 1970 SS454. Adjustable to any height you like. 

On "Barn Find" I have factory moog replacement coils with Monroe gas shocks. 1971 402 auto ALOT of options. 

PXL_20211016_163051273.jpg

PXL_20230518_205014933.jpg

• Like 3

These coils are for 68-72 A bodies...with no info on spring rate. 

Question on the coilovers...they adjust for height but do they also adjust for stiffness?

2 hours ago, JP_AstroMan said:

These coils are for 68-72 A bodies...with no info on spring rate. 

Question on the coilovers...they adjust for height but do they also adjust for stiffness?

You can get different spring rates with the coilovers from drag racing to road course and every in between. Also get the double adjustable shock and get infinite adjustability. 

Here is a pic of the springs in "Barn Find" the spring rates should be on the moog website. 

PXL_20230518_202248699.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

You can get different spring rates with the coilovers from drag racing to road course and every in between. Also get the double adjustable shock and get infinite adjustability. 

Here is a pic of the springs in "Barn Find" the spring rates should be on the moog website. 

PXL_20230518_202248699.jpg

Sorry, forgot to quote ya..

On Big Red, can you adjust both ride height and make it super stiff independently? So here's what I'm thinking IF I can adjust both...these are rated for 1900-2100lbs. Which is an estimate on my front end. Stock iron headed BB is 2128lbs. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aax-ab2fms

50 minutes ago, JP_AstroMan said:

Sorry, forgot to quote ya..

On Big Red, can you adjust both ride height and make it super stiff independently? So here's what I'm thinking IF I can adjust both...these are rated for 1900-2100lbs. Which is an estimate on my front end. Stock iron headed BB is 2128lbs. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aax-ab2fms

Yes, ride height and stiffness can be adjusted.  The ones you have a link to are single adjustable from what you are describing i would look into double adjustable shocks for even more refinement. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Yes, ride height and stiffness can be adjusted.  The ones you have a link to are single adjustable from what you are describing i would look into double adjustable shocks for even more refinement. 

Ok, thank you sir.

On 4/20/2024 at 7:27 AM, Blackhawk said:

This is the best deal for Bilstein that I've found:

https://www.jegs.com/i/BMR-Suspension/142/BSN-A-68-72/10002/-1

Just ordered my Bilstein shocks through Jegs at $279. I confirmed the Bilstein part numbers as being correct as Joe pointed out. Apparently there are 8 sets left at this price, which if anyone is shopping, is about $100 less than anyone else is selling them for. Thank you, Blackhawk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

Just ordered my Bilstein shocks through Jegs at $279. I confirmed the Bilstein part numbers as being correct as Joe pointed out. Apparently there are 8 sets left at this price, which if anyone is shopping, is about $100 less than anyone else is selling them for. Thank you, Blackhawk

Randy C picked up a full set last week after we talked on the phone. He texted me the other day saying the work he did definitely tightened up the ride.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marks71 said:

Is that price per set or all four corners ?

2 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

All four corners.

That’s why I phoned in my order. I wanted to speak with someone to confirm the Bilstein part numbers. I wanted to make sure they were the B6 series and not the B4. You know what they say, “if it seems too good to be true, it probably is”. Not the case here. He told me 8 sets left under that part number and when they’re gone they’re gone. The money I saved gets me that much closer to bushings,trailing arm inserts and a rear sway bar. Then it’s off to the front end. Thanks again Blackhawk.

• Like 1

That's what I get for giving away my 'secret'! 😄 I was planning on watching and waiting for the Bilsteins and trying out the Monroes that I threw on the car years ago (and already had to replace one for leaking with less than 5 miles), but 25% off and waiting a few days for the usual $20 off $249 might make me add this to my parts collection for later in the year.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

That's what I get for giving away my 'secret'! 😄 I was planning on watching and waiting for the Bilsteins and trying out the Monroes that I threw on the car years ago (and already had to replace one for leaking with less than 5 miles), but 25% off and waiting a few days for the usual $20 off $249 might make me add this to my parts collection for later in the year.

Secrets don’t remain secret very long here. We all have the gift of gab. lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3