Recommended Repair Manual

stoichiometry

Hello,

A buddy of mine is the original owner of a 70' SS 454 Monte and I would like to get him a repair manual since his mechanic, who has been working on the car since 1970, is well past retirement and he needs to do some work on it. I know there are the Haynes books and original service manuals, but I want to make sure some of the 70' optional extras are cover aka buy once. I have searched the forums some, but haven't seen anything explicitly recommending a manual, if I missed it, please direct me to the forum page. Thank you for the assistance!

Yes Welcome Tyler!!!   As Dennis said get the 70 GM manuals. We are always looking to help, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!!!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard the boards.  Your friend should also join the boards and become a dyes paying member of the club.

The items Dennis already mentioned are the most important books he could purchase.

In addition to those, if he could find a Chilton for it, that would be a bonus buy.

rob

• Like 2

Many thanks everyone for the quick replies and warm welcome, it is much appreciated! I will do some searching for GM manuals.

I know he likes to stick to himself, which is where I come in since I am quite a bit younger haha, but I will mention it to him. I need to get some pictures of him and the car, all I have is this video (hopefully it uploaded).

• Like 4

Welcome, beautiful car. The Assembly  and the Fisher Body manuals are the way to go. They are dedicated to a specific year. All the others try to cover too many years in one book. I also have the GM Chassis Service manual. Admittedly it covers other Chevrolets of that same year.

• Like 3

To me, all 3 are essential. GM Service Manual, Assembly Manual, and Fisher Body Manual.

The GM overhaul manual comes in handy sometimes, but focus more on specific parts such as the transmission, rear diff, power steering pump/gear, etc. It's a deep dive in the repair/overhaul of major parts.

You can buy a CD with all 4 manuals on it for around $35 from a couple different sources. I tend to like the paper manuals though, so I have those on hand for the year cars I own, as well as the CD's.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

To me, all 3 are essential. GM Service Manual, Assembly Manual, and Fisher Body Manual.

The GM overhaul manual comes in handy sometimes, but focus more on specific parts such as the transmission, rear diff, power steering pump/gear, etc. It's a deep dive in the repair/overhaul of major parts.

You can buy a CD with all 4 manuals on it for around $35 from a couple different sources. I tend to like the paper manuals though, so I have those on hand for the year cars I own, as well as the CD's.

I ordered the CD's, for me easier to research (search function) print out what I need and not worry about my dirty paws trashing the book pages .

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I ordered the CD's, for me easier to research (search function) print out what I need and not worry about my dirty paws trashing the book pages .

I use the CD's a lot when researching stuff for the forum, plus it's easier to screenshot, or save as .pdf files to share.

In the shop when looking for torque values or capacities, etc, thumbing thru the paper manuals is usually quicker for me.

• Like 2

Hey Tyler. I know how you Minnesotans are, trust me. Born and raised in Coon Rapids Minnesota. We tend to be that way. lol. Get him on the site and let him play around and read the wealth of information that’s available. Whether he becomes a member or not isn’t as important as getting him the information he needs. 

• Like 3

These will do the job:

ebay-CD version

Here are printed versions, but most likely reproductions of the originals. I found that the print quality of those wasn't near as good as original, to the point I sent them back (individual manuals, from Amazon). May work for your limited use though:

https://www.ss396.com/monte-carlo/HMS-70A.html?Category_Code=monte-carlo-hgg-100

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DragCat said:

I have to say there is nothing more satisfying to me than having a repair book that has bookmarks, oil and grease stains, highlighted and underlined areas, etc. I still use my Chiltons manuals for the Monte which are fairly well worn. I use those (I have 2 of them) way more than the assembly manual or the Fisher body book. 

• Like 4

Thank you again everyone for the great feedback, really appreciate it!

I have order the books for now, but the CD will probably follow shortly haha. I am in the same boat with my VW Bentley book, pages bookmarked everywhere, but it sure is nice having a digital version to use the quick keyword search lol.

The books will be here in the next couple of weeks, once I get them into his hands, I will bring him over to the forum so he knows there is a plethora of information available and a great community to shoot questions to if he can't find the answer.

Many thanks, Tyler.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dtret said:

Hey Tyler. I know how you Minnesotans are, trust me. Born and raised in Coon Rapids Minnesota. We tend to be that way. lol. Get him on the site and let him play around and read the wealth of information that’s available. Whether he becomes a member or not isn’t as important as getting him the information he needs. 

It does seem to be the MN way lol

8 hours ago, stoichiometry said:

Thank you again everyone for the great feedback, really appreciate it!

I have order the books for now, but the CD will probably follow shortly haha. I am in the same boat with my VW Bentley book, pages bookmarked everywhere, but it sure is nice having a digital version to use the quick keyword search lol.

The books will be here in the next couple of weeks, once I get them into his hands, I will bring him over to the forum so he knows there is a plethora of information available and a great community to shoot questions to if he can't find the answer.

Many thanks, Tyler.

The EBay link Joe (JFT69V) is a good company (Faxon Lit) Ive used them in the past. I would also recommend you track down a wiring schematic (not happy with the Faxon Lit product tho ) There is a company that makes a colorized laminated thats pretty nice. Grounding and vacuum issues can have you seemingly chasing your tail. 

• Like 2