Are patch panels that bad?

I have heard that patch panels are horrible, because most are from china. But, I have rust on my back fender and I'm not really sure what I should do. I want to use a patch panel, but I don't want it to be a piece of crap. I want it to look good and last. So, are they really horrible enough to spend $700 on getting a fender repaired? confused

I copied this from a post by Leo, he operates a Resto Shop and is a member here, he should be some help to you.

i have font fender patch panels and rear quarter panels in stock , i install these panels and know the good and bad , another club member made some excellent lower fender panels , but not many takers , so we will have to work with the best panels available , our fender patch panels are us made and best fit i have seen

Leo 810-334-4162

Yeah, ditto. Leo's own fender patch panels are the best I've heard. Or if you're a cheapskate chisler like Kevin, and me, take your time and do the patch yourself, fabbing YOUR OWN patch panel out of sheetmetal using the framing of the garage to bend a shape the panel. True story.

I personally attempted the panels, Ive been in autobody for 15+ years,and I wasnt very happy at all with them,I did however use the metal to make my own patch panels!

Them along with the lower part of a Honda doorskin off of a donor car worked great! As far as the patch panels go, just buy some sheet metal, and use that,its cheaper and easier!

Find a shop to do it,or use the ones that Leo has from a member here, I know a few people on here were extremely happy with them

I have a Goodmark Quarter that had the lower portion cut off for a patch panel. This quarter does not include the sail panel. I would be willing to sell this panel. It is kinda big to ship though.

ig Jim

We bought front patch panels from OPG The OPG panels were funky...the metal was not as heavy as stock and their creases umm or lip edges were not crisp. We used them anyhow and hated how they looked so much that we ended up buying some better front fenders and just started over.

We were lucky though when it came to fix the rear quarters Mike B was fabbing his and we bought a set from him....We used only one of the rear quarter patches that Mike B made and it was a perfect fit and installed like a dream.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of those panels made by a member for future use. From what I understand, they are far superior to the ones you will buy from some of the supply houses.

Rob

I guess that would have been me. I made about 20 sets of fender patch panels about 4-5 years ago for club members. They were still the best that I have ever seen. I even made a few sets for the lower rear quarter sections. Leo got the last ones of these that I had. They were a little expensive because of all of the hand work and pieces involved but in my opinion they were well worth it.

Mike

I'd go with the member made ones as it seems the reviews on them are top notch. When I was restoring mine I bought the patch panels and they were such a joke we didn't even use them. Ended up fabricating our own which took a heck of a long time to get straight and the correct curves creased in them...Came out good, but boy were worked on those suckers for a while.

I need the lower left rear patch panel. The car is at the body shop now waiting. I have an NOS right side but not the left side.

George