Stud removal

amsterdam84

What is the best method or removing the studs on the rear axle? I've heard the beat the studs out with a large hammer method works but I also hear that can damage seals.

I have 1 badly bend stud and 2 mildly bent ones and will most likely replace all of them just to be sure.

What is the best method or removing the studs on the rear axle? I've heard the beat the studs out with a large hammer method works but I also hear that can damage seals.

I have 1 badly bend stud and 2 mildly bent ones and will most likely replace all of them just to be sure.

Mike I believe the correct method would be to remove the axle and press them out, generally the hammer method is not a good idea. I know it's more work but .....JMO.....you shouldn't have any bent studs, replace them all......Dave grin

I've never done it on my Monte, but the question I have to ask is; is there enough room behind the axle flange to remove the studs? I know on some cars you have to pull out the axles to replace the studs. If that were the case, I think I'd look for a place to safely drill a hole in the brake backing plate to push the studs through. You just rotate the axle to align the stud you are working on with the hole. The problem is that the back side of the stud is pretty large....

anyways, it's food for thought.

Originally Posted By: amsterdam84

Mike I believe the correct method would be to remove the axle and press them out, generally the hammer method is not a good idea. I know it's more work but .....JMO.....you shouldn't have any bent studs, replace them all......Dave grin

I would have to second what Reds/Dave said. You'll have to press the new studs in anyway. Best to have the axle out to do this. - Dave

I've knocked out plenty of studs....I jam a piece of 2x4 behind the flange and hit the stud with a 3lb sledge...they normally come out very easy...spray them with a little PB Blaster or WD40 first.....There is plenty of room to get the stud out and the new one in.

I use an impact gun to press the new one in. Put it in place, use a nice thick washer and then a lug nut with the flat side towards the flange....make sure to oil the lug well first and don't over do it. Watch the lug from the back side of the flange and once it's flush...your done. Note that this creates some heat, so use the oil and don't use the "pressing lug" for more than 3 studs to avoid damaging the threads.....throw those lugs away when done.

My custom rims have a thick mounting flange because they are aluminum, I've had the same rims on three cars and I've done them all the same and put in longer studs. Just make sure you get the correct studs...you'd be surprised at how many sizes they offer. If you get ones that are to big your going to be killing yourself and the studs to get them in without damaging the threads.

And I guess the real question here is....How did you bend the studs in the first place?.....lol smile

My 2 cents

Steve

And I guess the real question here is....How did you bend the studs in the first place?.....lol smile

That's what I was wondering.

Nygel

A year ago I was just finishing putting everything together and took it to a shop to have the exhaust put on.

About 2 days later was getting on to the highway and I had the tire come off at about 40 MPH. The drum fell and hit the inside of the rim then hit the road. The tire became wedged in the fender and dented the rear edge of the quarter in. I'm betting they were either bentin first coming off having all that weight on 1 or 2 lugs and the following drop to the inside of the rim.

I've knocked out plenty of studs....I jam a piece of 2x4 behind the flange and hit the stud with a 3lb sledge...they normally come out very easy...spray them with a little PB Blaster or WD40 first.....There is plenty of room to get the stud out and the new one in.

I use an impact gun to press the new one in. Put it in place, use a nice thick washer and then a lug nut with the flat side towards the flange....make sure to oil the lug well first and don't over do it. Watch the lug from the back side of the flange and once it's flush...your done. Note that this creates some heat, so use the oil and don't use the "pressing lug" for more than 3 studs to avoid damaging the threads.....throw those lugs away when done.

My custom rims have a thick mounting flange because they are aluminum, I've had the same rims on three cars and I've done them all the same and put in longer studs. Just make sure you get the correct studs...you'd be surprised at how many sizes they offer. If you get ones that are to big your going to be killing yourself and the studs to get them in without damaging the threads.

My 2 cents

Steve

ditto I've done hundreds of them the same way

Originally Posted By: Monteman1971

My 2 cents

Steve

ditto I've done hundreds of them the same way

ditto I've done millions that way!!

Update: Got the studs hammered out and pulled them back in. Hey, I have 5 working studs now! Been a while since I could drive the monte around without worrying about it.

Also decided to put her on the road and I am going on a road trip to Grand Bend this weekend for the maiden voyage. Will be the first trip after having the shift kit installed and the engine properly tuned this time. laugh

So Mike, How did the trip go? No problems with the studs I take it?

Trip went very well. No vibrations, and the lug nuts stayed tight after retorquing. Even my fuel economy increased after the timing was corrected.