1972 LS swap progress

Archie

I am quite excited myself. Kind of the best of both worlds, with the vintage look and a little modern technology.

A little info:

2004 LQ4 6.0L (32,000Km)

4L60E (rebuilt w/ shift kit, 2300 stall)

truck intake

stand alone harness and ECM

3.42 gear

Covan's dash w/ autometer gauges

I am going to keep the column shifter and bench seat.

Jason, as everyone has said, that looks like a nice swap. Enjoy the build and the process. Take your time and do the details so you have no regrets. - Dave

Looks Good. I've never heard of an LQ4 before.smiley-confused005.gif I did a little digging around the internet and found my info on them. smile I know the Corvettes have LS1 and LS6 in the ZO6. I bought my LS6 from Turn Key Engine Supply and they have the LQ9 6.0 that is available in the Cadillac Escalade AWD. Was your LQ4 a truck engine? Either way pretty cool. Very unique. Good luck with the build, Im not a mechanic so I've had people do the install for me. One guy started the work for me in Vegas (long story mad) and the other guy here in Washington is finishing it for me. cool Yours will be the 3rd LS swap in the Club. Jeff (Judge) has an LS1, I have the LS6 and you with your LQ4 which is an LS series motor. cool

Chris

The LQ4 is the 6.0L, that came in the trucks. Mine is out of a 2004 2500HD series. It's an iron block with aluminum heads. I bought all my stuff through www.hiltonmotorsports.com . I could've pieced it together a bit cheaper but Bob Hilton has been great for letting me pick his brain when I need to. The wiring harness was done by Howell. It looks great, soon I will see if it works. It's taking a bit of time with me doing it by myself, but that's why we love this hobby anyway, haha.

I think SSwolf was one of the first to do the Monte swap. I really want the car to be a good cruiser so I can drive it alot.

I dont remember seeing SSwolf on here before. And I think it will be a good cruiser car. Thats the reason I went with the LS6 with the 700r4 combo to be a good road trip car. These engines with the overdrive tranny combo should get pretty good gas milage with plenty of power.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Looks great.

As for as MPG, I don't see why 25 Highway is not out of the question with the right gearing/tranny.

There was a 62 belair Bubbletop at the Grand, the 409 car, but this one didn't have a 409, it had an LS6 I believe and I heard the owner say he got 25 HMPG the first time out. This 62 was probably a 283 bubbletop.

• 2 months later...

I haven't written too much about my progress due to a ton of crazy life situations. But yes I put a slightly built LS1 and an 4L60E tranmission in my '72 Monte. Had vengence racing put in a brand new built 4L60E in last month and retune the engine. Going new with the drivetrain is awesome, but is very expensive if you try to do it right. Here are some of the things to consider, and of course if you have fabrication skills some things can be done cheaper.

1)engine and tranmission-buying used can be risky, mine had more miles than stated and i had to spend more money rebuilding.

2)engine and tranmission mounts-

3)headers-

4)gas tank- mine was $1200 from 'ricks tanks' it is stainless steel, baffled, and includes pump.

5)tuning computer- needs to be done with car. mail order works to get you started, but huge difference is done correctly.

6)gauges/dash work

7)tranmission shifter

8)new fuel lines

9)new brake lines

10)new brakes for 400+ HP

11)rear axle rebuild or new

12)custom driveshaft-

13)radiator/fans wire harness

14)misc. odds and ends

15)a lot of money went into extra engine pieces--with head and cam package needed new lifters, MAF, ported LS6 oil pump, etc.

you can skip many things like use stock brakes. I changed to 4 wheel disk, SS lines, and new power booster, 2 piston front calipers, single piston rear calipers. Just depends on what you want.

• 1 year later...

Obviously this didn't happen in a month, been dealing with all kinds of fun that life throws at you and honestly I lost the itch. 2 of my distraction are good ones as my daughters are now 3 and 5, and they like to come into the garage with me. I have recently got the itch back and have been getting back into it. Modified my trans mount, measured the driveshaft length that I will need and started into getting the wiring all sorted out. Also just picked up the Ground Up disc brake conversion kit for the front as mine was all drums. Just need to keep the momentum, lol.

That is going to be a nice ride when done. Those LS engines are great when installed right. Jeff's (Judge) 71 Monte with the LS1 runs great, has lots of power and gets good gas mileage. Search the photo album for the user "Judge" and you can see some of his photos there. Keep us posted.

I find it interesting you had drum brakes on the front. That is extremeny rare on a Monte since front disc brakes were standard equipment.

Looks like you are coming along nicely. As it's already been stated don't cut corners on anything as you will regret it later. If money is the issue wait untill you can afford the next step. If a 500HP LS2 Firebird can get 29mpg on the highway there is no reason why at the same power level if you shave off 300lbs your monty you can't get the same mpg with the correct gearing. I still want to build an old school street rod(late 40's/very early 50's) with a similar type setup. I would rape a donor car/cars for all I could get that was needed and fabricate everything else. I'd have heat, a/c, cruise, and power everything. I see that kind of project eating up around %40K, but just imagine how cool it would be. I've seen some folks who have tried this, but they always cut corners somewhere and it detracts from what the beauty of the car could/should be. One can always dream. Maybe one day when I cash in my redneck retirement plan I'll be able to build one. Anyway, good luck and can't wait to see the finished project.

I have no timeline to rush me, other than I really want to have a car to drive this summer sometime. I like to do things right the first time. I have no interest in having a show car, but I do want it to be nice and clean.

Jason,

Excellent start. I've been kicking around the idea of doing the E-Rod LS swap into my 72. I had a chance to drive a 66 Impala last weekend with that motor and I was very impressed. It had plenty of power to move these heavy cars.

Good work on your project. I'm following along.