400 Small Block Build. 500+ HP

Winston Wolf

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty Wolfie, how would a stock bottom end 402 with 820 heads(2.30x1.88), a Comp .557 lift hydraulic cam(or a .657 solid roller), an Victor Jr, and a 3310 Holley stack up on 11.70's?

Wolfie, you pick the car. 76 Camino, 72 Monte, or the seldom seen 396 Velle. Which Velle? Got to go 68. Cant seem to remember what I did with the 70s body. Found the frame though.

Andy

I had a bone stock 396/425 '65 Impala (same as a L78) that ran 12.50's @ 4200 lbs with a 4-speed and headers....I've always been a big fan of that motor (way under rated). It would be fun to see what you could get out of it with today's knowledge..wish I had the resources to try that....Davey

Wolfie, you got it. But we are going to do the 70. That one is painted. and it already has a 400 and a 12 bolt posi in it. Let me debug the 71 and get through the holidays first. Next two monts will show me how broke I can be.

Andy

I managed to find a Edelbrock 2925 Super Victor locally off a circle track car that had been ported by a engine builder here in MN. A new 2925 ported intake from one of the big name porters is just under $1000. I managed to score this one for less than a quarter of that.

I am going to try this intake to hopefully pick up 20+ hp at the top end. I feel my HP curve is staying way too flat. It stays dead flat from 5000 to 6200 and then starts to drop. I'm hoping to extend the range up to around 65-6600 and pick up that extra power. Some people have been seen 30+ hp pickups with these ported Super Victors. I'm hoping coming from the dual plane I will too.

From what I have researched, you need to really open up the top of the plenum and cut back the runner extensions to allow the middle runners a bit more room so they don't feed off each other. Below are a few pics of the intake as it sits now. They did a decent job, and the hard part (enlarging the plenum) is done. I still have some smoothing and rounding to do on the runner extensions, and, as you can see, the runners (especially the roofs) will need some work to match up to the heads. The first pic is what they look like as-cast. That gives you an idea of just how much has already been taken off.

SBC_SuperVictor_Stock_Plenum_2_1024.jpg

11032010948.jpg

11032010949.jpg

11032010950.jpg

11032010951.jpg

Winston, Does your car still have power brakes? If it does were do you run the vacuum line to with this intake? These intakes don't have the boss to put a fitting into for vacuum lines. Is it possible to run a carb spacer and tap a hole in the spacer to screw a fitting into? Just wondered how you can do it.

I just got to thinking. I think that my vacuum for my brakes comes from the one on the back bottom of the carb itself. The one that comes off the intake is the trans line. I guess that you might be able to run a T and hook them both together into one.

I just got to thinking. I think that my vacuum for my brakes comes from the one on the back bottom of the carb itself. The one that comes off the intake is the trans line. I guess that you might be able to run a T and hook them both together into one.

you really don't want the power brakes to share a vacuum line with anything due to the ammount of 'vacuum' it uses.

I have my PCV connected to the base of the carb, the power brakes to the large port in the intake manifold, since I have a 700r4 I don't have a transline for the trans.

spark is on a small mainfold vac fitting on the front of the carb.

and I drilled a hole in the intake and tapped it, and added an an-4 fitting to provide manifold vac to the A/C system.

Tommy, I run a T on my Malibu for brakes and PCV off the back of the carb. It works fine with a vacuum resivior. The intake is a Dart Pro 1. No fittings whatsoever on that intake. Not wanting to take anything away from Tims theories, but he is wrong.

Andy

Not wanting to take anything away from Tims theories, but he is wrong.

Andy

well as the saying goes.. opinions are like armpits.. everybody's got 'em.. and they all stink.

I guess I should specify.. I did the an-4 line more for looks then anything. I basicly 'hid' the connection to the manifold underneath the rear floatbowl of the carb, and just have a nice and pretty piece of braided stainless going to the firewall.. one day I 'll get around to finishing it by welding the hole in the firewall shut and using an an-4 bulkhead fitting...

My custom vac line fitting

Winston, Does your car still have power brakes? If it does were do you run the vacuum line to with this intake? These intakes don't have the boss to put a fitting into for vacuum lines. Is it possible to run a carb spacer and tap a hole in the spacer to screw a fitting into? Just wondered how you can do it.

As is sits right now, I run a large line off the back of the carb to the brake booster. I have a T in that line that goes to the distributor and my vacuum gauge. I use the small port on the front of the carb to go to my PVC valve. The brake boosters have a check valve in them, so once they build up vac there isn't really any draw. I do not have a vacuum line to the transmission.

On this new intake I am planning to drill and tap a port in the rear top of the plenum to run to the brake booster. I will then run the PCV with the large port at rear of the carb and probably use the small port at the front for the advance and vacuum gauge. I don't think I will be able to fit a spacer anymore. The plan is to use a thick open Edelbrock gasket, I believe they are .320 ish thick.

davey.. lol they are what us street motors use to keep sludge down wink

winston.. sounds like you have a good plan there.. running the pcv off anything less then a 3/8" fitting is not going to allow it work correctly. check out the link I posted in my response. I used a 1/8" pipe-thread to an-4 elbow, and drilled and tapped the intake for 1/8" pipe-thread.. no reason you can't do the same thing with a carb spacer...

• 3 months later...

Well, after a few months off, I decided to get working on my intake. I spent the weekend behind the carbides. The runners are now matched to a larger 1206 gasket and blended in nice. I really raised the roofs of the runners where they come into the plenum. Really opened up the intake. I can see why guys like Speier and Dr J charge $1000 for thier ported Super Victors. It is honestly a lot of work. Big improvement over stock. Still have a little clean up to do, then a fresh coat of orange for stealth and get it on the engine. Plan is to go back on the dyno as soon as the snow melts to see how it affected my power curve with no other changes. I'm putting the Air-Gap vs Super Victor debate to bed. Here it is so far.

022120111080.jpg

022120111079.jpg

022120111078.jpg

Very curious to see the results Winston because my Motown intake is very similar to the Super Vic. I have a turtle in mine though..lol. Lots of luck and keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the intake. Turned out ok I hope. I wanted it painted to attract less attention.

Below you can see the plenum work and how the runners turned out. I did add a port at the front for the PCV valve.

030320111092.jpg

030320111093.jpg

030320111094.jpg

030320111095.jpg

030320111096.jpg