400 Small Block Build. 500+ HP

Winston Wolf

Here you can see the difference between the RPM Air-Gap and the Super Victor height wise. The way I will be running is with this 3/8" Edelbrock gasket. It is pretty much the same height as the RPM with the 1" spacer. Without the spacers though, the Super is indeed taller.

030320111099.jpg

030320111100.jpg

Here you can see the difference in intakes.

Below that, you will notice how much larger the plenum is vs what the Airgap has. It is showing the gasket for the new intake.

030320111102.jpg

030320111113.jpg

I still have to enlarge my TV/throttle cable bracket to match the intake, but then it should be good to go. I did have to make a little bracket to hold the coil, as this intake has no mounting holes on it. I'll put up the final product when I finish it this weekend. Then wait for the snow to melt and get it on the rollers.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done and done. I'll light it up tomorrow after the silicone has cured. Still a bit dusty after sitting all winter, but you get the idea. Looks like a nice little sleeper smallblock. Nothing fancy, in fact if my stock valve covers would fit, I would be running them.

If this works as expected, I will probably have an RPM Air-gap for sale. But not until after I get it on the dyno.

030420111118.jpg

030420111119.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had the car back on the Dynojet again today. Only change was the from the Air-Gap intake (with 1" open spacer) to the Super Victor. Same 37 degree timing and I did go up one size in the primaries to compensate for the switch. I did no tuning. Pretty nice increase, there is no way I would run the Airgap on this engine. There is no torque loss and a big bump in HP. This really debunks the dual vs single myth. I feel pretty good for a home port job...

dynomonte2011.jpg

Here are the 3 pulls from today together, in case anybody cares. Quite a difference, not sure if it's from the engine getting warm or what?

Also want to add that I can tell no difference in driving the car on the street, as far as throttle response, part throttle acceleration, manners, etc.

dynomonte20111.jpg

Good job Justin!! That mill is making some serious steam!!! I cant remember if your car has stock hood or a cowl style. I do recall you having the corvette style base for the air cleaner assembly. I would have liked to have used a Super Vic but I didn't think it would fit under my stock hood.

David

Good job Justin!! That mill is making some serious steam!!! I cant remember if your car has stock hood or a cowl style. I do recall you having the corvette style base for the air cleaner assembly. I would have liked to have used a Super Vic but I didn't think it would fit under my stock hood.

David

Stock hood,L88 Corvette air cleaner,Edelbrock .320 thick gasket (#9265), 4" Element.

Dang!!!!! mad Oh well guess I can give it a try later on. Are you using the stock throttle cable and bracket?

Thanks,

David

DB,

I am using the stock throttle cable and part of the stock bracket. I use a Bowtie Overdrives TV cable bracket for a Holley carb (because of the 200-4r). I had to cut the stock bracket and mount it on the TV cable bracket, down and in towards the carb, as it would hit the air cleaner. It's a tight fit, but works well. Just a couple small holes/bolt. The L88 base literally wraps the whole carb. If you went to one, (L88 base) you could certainly run a 1" spacer in your car. The Super Victor is 5.5" high and I have another .5" in gaskets and brackets. The Victor Jr is 4.58" high... In fact if you went with a 3" element, you should be able to get a 2" spacer in, I did it with the Air-Gap.

04052011002.jpg

04052011001.jpg

Thanks for the great pic's and commentary. I will more than likley go with the L88 base with the stock throttle cable and bracket. I actually have a 1/2" spacer between the top of the carb neck and the air cleaner base to make sure I have enough clearance between the lid of the air cleaner and the vent tubes. A drop base like yours would allow me to run a 4" filter without issue. BTW that carb in the pic looks real familiar!!! laugh

Thanks,

David

• 1 month later...

Checked lash on the solid cam. Things were pretty much in line, nothing was out more than a couple thousanths. I decided to add a stud girdle anyways, since I'm running 225# seat pressure, over .600 lift, and reving it to 6700+. Pretty straight forward install and still had enough room for a short baffle inside the valve covers and the stock style PCV set up. If it ever stops raining here on the weekends, I can get everything track tested.

05122011044.jpg

That looks real slick Justin. Good to know that the lash had changed very little since you have been running the car even without the girdle. I'm sure the new stud girdle will keep every thing in spec.

David

Pretty cool. Can't wait for track numbers. You should see at least a tenth out of it. Look like it will pull like hell past 4250. Track time soon? Me? I am done until it cools down. The car still runs good but I do not in 96 degree heat. The last track rentail I used my fire jacket to wipe the sweat out.

Andy

Did get to the track, although due to a Saturday rainout, there wasn't any test and tune day. Didn't get to play with the carb or spacers or shocks like I had hoped.

It picked up 1.5 mph and almost a tenth, but not there yet. The carb is going lean at the top end. I didn't have any air bleeds with me, so I couldn't fix it while I was there. Below is the fuel curve. When it changes at the top of the RPM range, it's from the hi speed air bleed being the wrong size. If it was going rich, I would need to put a larger diameter air bleed in, but since it's going lean, I need to change to a smaller orifice. That should flatten out the curve and hopefully pick up a little bit more.

Run3-1.jpg

05152011047.jpg

05152011048.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wow man! I just read through all of this, well done and way to put your head down and just push through all the bad luck. I know you got your ignition issues fixed, just thought I would add something. I went through something similar when I had my 75 Vega where it kept breaking up at the top end ~7000 rpm in 2nd gear and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out. Even talked to the MSD guys as it was a 7AL2 that I had, and eventually it was a promod guy that figured it out for me. He suggested I tighten up my plug gap to no more than 0.025 gap, which was opposite to what the MSD guy was telling me. After trying a bunch of things I changed the plugs and closed the gap to what he said and the car never ran better.

Anyways this was a great thread, good luck this year you are do for some good runs.

• 3 months later...

Just a post to finish up this thread.

Only got out a few times this year. Learned a couple things though.

Having double adjustable rear shocks just makes it double as hard to dial them in. Never did get my 60 ft times as low as they were last year with the stock control arms, stock springs, no sway bar, and air shocks.

Found out my issue with the car going lean on the top end was from not having enough gas in the tank. When the gauge got below 1/4, the fuel pressure would start to drop right at the end of the track. Keeping a few extra gallons in it solves that problem. Holley makes a nice electric fuel pressure gauge that you can mount inside the car.

The Super Victor I ported ended up being about 2 MPH faster in the 1/4, and that pretty much exactly matches the 20ish HP it gained at the wheels on the dyno.

I will never run an AC Delco spark plug again. I had several that were bad brand new and cost me alot of trouble shooting time. I changed to Champions, and all my ignition issues went away.

Car has gone 11.54 @ 118.66 About the same as the guys with the bigger stroker small blocks. So, not much left to do with this engine, since I can't really run it any faster. Time to just enjoy it........

MuscleCar10-2-20111.jpg

MonteRockFalls2.jpg

MonteRockFalls1.jpg

Great job Justin, smile

From the looks of the tires your hitting them hard which means your suspension and converter are working well. I think you said somewhere in the thread that you were looking to reach the 11.50 goal well....congrats on the accomplishment! cool Now go out there next season and clean up at the bracket race series.

David

The tires look to hit ok, but my 60 fts are still slow for what I'm running. I would say I average a 1.75 with some climbing to the 1.8 range. When I'm in those short times, it's usually doing a 11.64 ish.

Here is a video of me against my cousin in his GTO. As close as 2 cars can get. Ends up being .082 difference across the line with reaction times.

I started reading through this post at work and since it was like a suspence thriller, I had to read the rest at home.

Man o man - I don't know if this would kill the ambition for a new hot rodder or Justin should be the number one inspriration for us all!

A person can learn more about engine building and drag racing this thread than anywhere. Nice documentation!

I wish I took that kind of care putting together my engine. I'll blame it on lack of tools.....