No Tailpipes ?

TN454Monte

I saw a picture a while ago, of I think it was a Chevelle with the Exhaust under it with no tailpipes, the Mufflers had 3-4 inch long turn downs on the outlet side and those were of course attached to hangers holding them up...but the tail pipes were gone and the system ended before the rear axle housing...sorry I can't seem to find that picture or one like it now.

With the swap from the shortie style headers to a set of long tubes I need to change out some of the rest of the exhaust as well so I'm thinking about going that route.

Anyone have this sort of set up under their Monte? Is there a kit out there somewhere?

Pictures would be nice ... grin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg why not carry the exhaust out to the rear bumper with turn downs or ss chrome tips? The only down sides with the stopping before the rear is carbon exhaust in the car when the windows down and if you drive up and down dirt roads the car will be cover in dust.

Greg why not carry the exhaust out to the rear bumper with turn downs or ss chrome tips? The only down sides with the stopping before the rear is carbon exhaust in the car when the windows down and if you drive up and down dirt roads the car will be cover in dust.

Good point's I didn't think of those.

As to the why? It's just a preference really, I think it helps clean up the car's lines, you can see the tailpipe in the rear now in my signature picture, I think it would look cleaner over all with out that pipe showing.

I know what you mean with that section of pipe. I have it too.

My pipe is 3-1/2" in that area...it's a big pipe. You can lessen the visual impact by painting it black. I tucked mine in as close as I could and tried to get the angle to match the lower fender line. I probably could have made it prettier if had used some bends, but mine is a straight stick.

The same kind of situation exists under the doors; ever notice how the frame is visible there? Make it all black and it looks much better.

monte.jpg

As for the turndowns in front of the axle, it's REALLY noisy. Most of the extra noise seems to be inside the car. I found it to be almost unbearable at cruise because of a reverberation that peaks around 2500-3000 RPM. Made my radio useless. You can try it by simply unhooking your tailpipes from your existing mufflers and driving it....but I bet you'll find it better with tailpipes.

Here are some pictures of my and monte420's I believe her exhaust is stock. 003-15.jpg Now my on the other hand you only see the headers and in the rear wheel well 2.5" exhaust. 010-5.jpg008-6.jpgd9f5d083.jpg Are your tail pipes on the rear hanger at the rear?

Quote:
Are your tail pipes on the rear hanger at the rear?

Yes they have hangers in I believe the stock locations. The exhaust is hung pretty much as stock would be as you can see here:

new-exhaust-007.jpg

it's just the tail pipes showing that is bugging me..I know...picky picky picky..LOL

Hmmm...I think you're right ...I'll have to ask the guy doing my work if they were there or not, it seems tho if they were missing it would have rattled a lot, those tailpipes would have been smacking around on the frame rails...but I never heard it...

I do know this will be the 3rd freaking time the exhaust has been done. I'm sick of putting exhaust under Patches for crying out loud!

The first (Midas) shop left me a mess of straight pipes and had the mufflers on back wards...

The second looks to have did better but I'm now wondering it those hangers were on or not...and if they were why didn't they bend the pipes a little so they didn't hang down like that??

Geeeze It's tailpipes..not rocket science people!! Grrrr..Oh well Like they say, 3rd time a charm I guess... grin

I've run mine both ways. It sounded much meaner/better with the exhaust ending before the rear end. It was also loud enough that I didn't enjoy driving it for any long period of time. You can do it either way. My exhaust is a hodge podge setup. My headers shoot straight back and I just got some straight exhaust tubing from Summit, and some mufflers and had them welded up. Later on I added the tail pipes which were a flowmaster tailpipe kit.

Side note, Mark, Your car is absolutely beautiful. It is one of my all time favorites, so clean!

monte.jpg

Loud and obnoxious is the way i like it, but to each their own.

I used to like it too, but I'm slowly "maturing". Or is it that I'm getting boring lol

Loud and obnoxious is great for the track and a little bit on the street, but on a four hour cruise it gets really old for me. I really like the electric cutouts

Loud and obnoxious is great for the track and a little bit on the street, but on a four hour cruise it gets really old for me. I really like the electric cutouts

I think I am just going to end up with a torque -tech set up, it seems that they tuck up under the fenders a little cleaner than my set up does?

Any thoughts guys?

I have the Magnaflow system on mine I'll see if I can remember to take a side shot for you to look at...

Greg I have Flowmaster on my Monte and the only time you see the tail pipe is in the rear fender well area. If the rear tail pipe clamp is missing that will cause the pipe to hanf low in the rear. You can also move the bracket that the tail pipe clamps on up on the frame.

Greg just take it to a good shop and show them what you want. That's what I did on Red's car and I got them tucked pretty nice. You want to run the tail pipes, like I think some others have said it gets very loud inside with them cut off under the car...Davey crazy

If you go to a good shop, they can tuck them in nicely as others have said. I have some friends at a local Meineke that did mine, I was very happy with the results. It was a Flowmaster 2 1/2" system

26213280199_large.jpg

just food for thought...there is a line of thinking now that says using a smaller tailpipe (2 1/2" from the muffler back) actually performs better than the larger ones. You might do a little research before deciding what configuation is best...Davey