No Tailpipes ?

TN454Monte

I would not recommend stoping them before the rear axle. I ran like that last year and it was very noisy and the reverb in the cab was horrible.

My suggestion would be to find a shop that can do full mandrel bends on 3" pipe and install a full 3" system with Dynomax mufflers. I did this earlier this year and it turned out great. Not cheap (1000$) but everything fits perfect, it has a crossover, sounds good, and it performs. I track tested it and it makes no difference in MPH/ET with full exhaust vs open headers. I do have cutouts immediately after the headers.

I tried the "custom made kit" and they just don't fit right. More work to get it to actually fit than it is worth.

I've see the article that Dave is talking about above. It was a GTO or something that track tested a bunch of different mufflers, tailpipe sizes and pipe sizes. I'm just telling you what I found in my case.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not recommend stoping them before the rear axle. I ran like that last year and it was very noisy and the reverb in the cab was horrible.

My suggestion would be to find a shop that can do full mandrel bends on 3" pipe and install a full 3" system with Dynomax mufflers. I did this earlier this year and it turned out great. Not cheap (1000$) but everything fits perfect, it has a crossover, sounds good, and it performs. I track tested it and it makes no difference in MPH/ET with full exhaust vs open headers. I do have cutouts immediately after the headers.

I tried the "custom made kit" and they just don't fit right. More work to get it to actually fit than it is worth.

I've see the article that Dave is talking about above. It was a GTO or something that track tested a bunch of different mufflers, tailpipe sizes and pipe sizes. I'm just telling you what I found in my case.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check into it.

just food for thought...there is a line of thinking now that says using a smaller tailpipe (2 1/2" from the muffler back) actually performs better than the larger ones. You might do a little research before deciding what configuation is best...Davey

This is true, my particular goal was for the deepest sound possible and it was achieved, sounds like someone beating a drum... grin

voodoo???? As Justin said there is some documented A, B, C testing that was done on the muffler and tailpipe sizing..I'm just sayin'.....Bill did the large stuff for the sound...Greg is concerned about stuffing all that pipe up under the car. Greg doesn't need to worry about losing a bunch of performance if he uses 2 1/2" tailpipes to hide them better...I'm just sayin'...

as far as the open vs closed thing, never tested it and don't want to. My reply had nothing to do with open vs closed exhaust...although nothing sounds better than 4-500 c.i. and open headers.... cool

I bought Flowmaster pre-bent pipes to get over the axle, and took them to the muffler shop to install. My shop was unable to fab any good bends that tight in 2-1/2 pipe without crushing the diameter down.

laugh

Quote:
2012* "Caaaa-ray-zey Davey for President, because... politics just can't get any worse!!" *2012*
laugh

Hooo-boy! Now that's some change we can believe in~! shocked

Where do I send my election fund contribution I wonder?

With my 3" flowmaster setup, I am 0.10 second faster in the quarter when opening up the cutouts. I've not actually seen anybody be faster with their exhaust on vs. off but I'm sure there are people that would say that as well.

what's with the cutouts thing these days?? I thought those died in 1965!!!! crazy

No...those were LAKES PIPES.

RIP. LOL

1377951648_4cdc1c4206.jpg

Thank Ian & everyone, it looks like at least part of the system will have to be replaced, the intermediate pipes which were bent for the shorties style Hedmans ain't going to work with the New Hookers. Go figure!

I'm seriously contemplating throwing some sidepipes on mine. I just think they're cool.

Check your state laws, I remember reading somewhere that they were banned in a lot of places...

I'm seriously contemplating throwing some sidepipes on mine. I just think they're cool.

You wouldn't be the first person to do it to a Monte... wink

23235290022_large.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

**update**

Spoke to Eulan about this very issue yesterday and the 1st thing he said was "Who did this work"? referring to the exhaust that I had done the 2nd time. We discussed it, he being the person he is wouldn't quite say the other shops screwed this up, but in so many words, he said the work could have been much better...

Looks like there's going to be a new header back kit on order soon....cripes....3rd time's a charm for exhaust systems I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay well after some 'tweaking" that involved a lot of cutting and re-fabrication, Eulan reports he thinks he made the exhaust look "okay" I think it looks great but my 'great' and Eulan's 'great' are... apparently two different things. LOL

Monies been a headache lately and I didn't have the spare change right now to replace the entire exhaust yet again, so Eulan once again saved the day here.

You can see the difference in how the tail pipes are hung, just look at my signature picture and what these pictures show.

Sorry the pics are 800x600 so click the links to see them. I don't want to put them on here directly as they probably wont fit the window correctly.

New passenger side tail pipe mounting

Drivers side Tail Pipe mounting

Greg it looks good, and I have the site resize pictures down to 640x480 automatically so you can post them in-line...

New-Fuel-pump-and-exhaust-010.jpg

New-Fuel-pump-and-exhaust-012.jpg

A welded exhaust is the cleanest looking obviously but if you are gonna put any u-bolt clamps on it I would suggest pointing the bolts upwards with the nuts on top, this looks alot nicer from any angle. The style of clamps I use are the band clamps, they blend well into the exhaust and I put the bolts on top with the threads pointing to the center of the car so they are less visible.

At the very least if your exhaust is fully welded or not when using a hanger (which you will have to have several) I would also suggest using a thin band clamp to connect the hanger to the pipe like in the picture below.

edl-65919_w.jpg

As for tips I personal like the turn downs, but the otg. style SS tips look good to when they stop in a good spot. It looks like this shop added the rear tail pipe hanger not sure where its at on the frame, but if its down low you can have it moved up and have it hidden before the quarter panel a little more then when the turn downs go on it will be flush with the bottom of the rear bumper.

More food for thought: You can adjust how much noise gets back into the car by altering the length of the tips. The direction they exit will also change the interior sound volume.

If the tips are short it's louder inside the car, and exhaust residue collects on the bumper. I hooked up sliding tips that I could adjust like a trombone and tested it until I found the ideal spot. It's surprising how much difference an inch can make.