Spare Tire Placement

OK my 70 finally arrived and after a few items have been repaired and upgraded I am ready to take it out finally.

a) New 322 radiator

B) New rear main seal

c) new power steering pump

All new and NO MORE LEAKS

Before I purchased the car there where alot of pictures exchanged and of course the trunk and its components where photo graphed. Well he did not put the spare back in its original position. Now I am not an idiot but someone please show a photo or something of the jack. the spare and all the items strapped down properly

Thanks in advance..now onto the AC

Jim@BAWS TAMPA FL

• 3 weeks later...

No photos but the jack assembly is located in a raised area on the passenger side of the trunk with a "welded in place" 2 or 3 sided stop. The actual jacking part is at one end and the UP / DOWN selector is set to UP. A 2" wide rubber band secures the lug wrench to the jack assembly. The foot or base to the jack is used "up side down" as a hold down going through the up side down wheel and tire. A J hook goes through it's own special spot welded to the floor about mid way topped off by a large wing nut. After all of this, it may have been faster to tear mine apart and take pictures but it's raining.

Bruce

Bumper Jack pictures 71 Monte Carlo

I have to figure all that out also...my pieces are all in there loose right now.

As I remember, the lug nut wrench is held to the jack post with the rubber band...and together they lay on the floor between the raised brackets. Then the spare tire lays over them and lastly the jack base goes upside-down in the center. A J-hook and wing nut pass through the center and secures everything down.

Here is a photo of the under-trunklid decal showing how it goes:

002-1.jpg

I think on my 70 the spare is mounted upside down with the back side of the rim showing. If I reverse it, I dont' think the J-hook shaft is long enough to fit the base over it and get the wing nut on.,

Just a note. there is nothing on the floor of the trunk to lock the jack into place. When you tighten the wing nut it places sufficient pressure from the tire on the jack to keep it from rattling around and making noise.

Rob

Rob,

Correct, up side down. I believe if you position the jacking part under the rubber part of the tire and set the jack to the UP position, no rattles.

Bruce

I always thought it was a strange arrangement to have the spare mounted with the valve stem inaccessible, but you are right Rob, the J-hook isn't long enough to mount it the other way. The decal clearly shows the tire sitting "valve down".

I don't know what the logic was for that decision, unless they were tryng to minimize the wasted space under the tire.

I always thought it was a strange arrangement to have the spare mounted with the valve stem inaccessible, but you are right Rob, the J-hook isn't long enough to mount it the other way. The decal clearly shows the tire sitting "valve down".

I don't know what the logic was for that decision, unless they were tryng to minimize the wasted space under the tire.

yeah.....I'm sure that was it........those GM guys are crazy smart!!! crazy

I've always been tempted to find a longer j-hook and mount my spare right side up so I can dress up the trunk area with a rally cap and ring on the spare. Just never taken the time to do it.

Rob

• 1 month later...

I was looking to save space and get away from having to use the stock jack and scratching the bumper so I picked up a compact spare, a small scissor jack and the hardware to tie it down at the local junk yard. This set up also shaved off 35lbs. Just make sure you get the right bolt pattern. Ford has a five bolt pattern that looks the same but is just a bit off. crazy

DSCN3311.JPG

I snagged a couple of jacks from totalled Suburbans, nice bottle jacks, they fit right inside the spare tire, and I can use the wing nut to bolt that down, It raises the car enough to change a tire,I made sure of that! Make sure that scissor jack can reach. I never plan on using that bumper jack eek, I didnt even put it back in the trunk.

What I have in the trunk looks fairly nice, if I put one of them covers over the spare you wouldnt even know!

My spare is placed upside down like the stock setup. I put spare belts and heater hoses in the rim and put a colour keyed hub cap (I have a set of them) on the rim to hide it. It makes it look pretty clean in the trunk. I even made sure to mount the tire with the letters in so they are visible when the tire is in the trunk.