carburator troubles

mymontesa70

So as some of you know from previous post i recently swapped my stock intake for a edelbrock . pretty sure it was stock replacement it just looks pretty . Anyways i had a lot of rookie headaches come about but all seemed to be solved. However the thing has no where near the go it used to have and it kinda bums me out.

Theres no leaks the only things thats really different is i no longer have a coil heated choke i just slammed the rod in there and its fully open all the time.i only run it in warm weather and i just have to warm it up for a sec now. well the other day i noticed the rear flaps of the butterfly on my carb wont open up. its vacuum operated and for the life of me i cant figure it out the only thing i can blame is that choke.....any ideas fellas? appreciate it Photo0111.jpgPhoto0110.jpg

Your going to have to find away to keep the choke open. I have the same problem and i have heard that you can modify our qjets to accept an electric choke.... i read it in the greatest carb book posted on the forums. Anyhow i used a sort of chicken wire to rig the choke mechanism to hold the choke full open. i will take pic of how i did it tonight.

Anyhow, I'm sure WE can find new heat coils to make them fully function but, i always wonder if the intakes would have trouble accepting them with out some sort of modification. It's this reason that im probably going to go with the summit 600cfm carb. It has all the goodies holley does including its able to accept holley parts.

I believe there is a plate you can get from edelbrock to allow that intake to accept a thermostatic choke (not electric)

i'm tryhign to remember how I ran a choke with an eddy perf. intake like that.

whats really annoying is that i know im one step away from this all working out and its driving me nuts, you'd think edelbrock carb meets edelbrock intake, everything should work right?

....Sam you would be correct, its at 11degrees advanced but thats just a ballpark really , ive always set timing by ear and how fast it idles back down after you blip the carb really im in the dark. I always heard something about reving the engine to 4grand and holding it and then your timing mark should be a 4 but that sounds kinda silly so im not sure.

im sure youve all been there this is just picking away at me.

thanks for all the help so far

i probabley could of written that better . i have a timing light and the car is currentley set at 11 advanced. what im unsure of is HOW to set the timing . shine the light turn the distributor but to what method?

whats really annoying is that i know im one step away from this all working out and its driving me nuts, you'd think edelbrock carb meets edelbrock intake, everything should work right?

the problem here, is that is not an edelbrock carb.. it might have the eddy name on it.. but it's really a QuadraJet (eddy bought the rights to it)

Actully.. the other Eddy carb is actully a Carter AFB carb..

• 3 months later...

hey something I just realized we missed too.. those secondary air flaps should _NEVER_ open when there is no load on the engine.

if they do. the carb is severely mis-adjusted.

from the photo you gave us, I can see that the choke isn't held open enough, and the secondary lockout lever is preventing your secondaries from opening.

I can see it here:

carbsnip.jpg

Get your choke adjusted so those two parts have a gap between them. That pin on the left will want to rotate counter-clockwise as the secondaries open. The flat plate on the right (with the little notch in it) needs to get out of the way for that to happen.

yea i ended up ordering a coil/heat activated choke for this intake. i figured it was easier and now i don't have to warm it up by holding the throttle down at a grand for 30 seconds plus it solved above mentioned choke issue, good catch though and as always the help is greatly appreciated