water pump

youngmonte71

if you can get your fingers between the water pump and the timing cover, it's a long.

if you can't.. it's a short.

'short' water pump had the accessories mounted to the exhaust manifold bolts with brackets.

the 'long' water pump moved the accessory mounts to the front of the cylinder heads.

IIRC 1969 was the first year of the long water pump design.

if you can get your fingers between the water pump and the timing cover, it's a long.

if you can't.. it's a short.

'short' water pump had the accessories mounted to the exhaust manifold bolts with brackets.

the 'long' water pump moved the accessory mounts to the front of the cylinder heads.

IIRC 1969 was the first year of the long water pump design.

please don't try this with the motor running.... eek

my chevy book says the vettes have their own unique water pump that's stort of a 'medium'

68 and earlier small blocks had the short water pump (alternator on the driver's side)

Here is a couple shots of the water pump exposed. Not sure what engine your running but this ia a Big Block 402 CI.

Make sure all WP bolts have been removed along with Fan blade, Pulley, Belts, Hoses. May need to tap WP with rubber mallet to break loose from engine. Make sure Alternator bracket is clear & that should be it!

100_1863.jpg

CLOSEUP1.jpg

CLOSEUP2.jpg

If I missed anything, someone will chime in to correct me.

Hope this does it for you.

Have a GREAT day......

Doug BB

Yes,it is just for bolts and two hoses-once you get everything else out of the way!!-just like with anything else,proceed slowly,note how everything came apart so you can reverse it later without making yourself crazy,and keep track of all the nuts and bolts. Just 'crack' the pump bolts loose carefully in case they are weak(a sheared bolt here could be a horror show),and (if I remember correctly)two pump bolts are into coolant-make sure they bare cleaned and resealed before reassembly-have fun!!

Well at least you found the problem before you started adding bionic force.

I had a friend in high school that forgot to remove the series of head bolts that are hidden under the exhaust manifold...he used a big bar inserted into an intake port to pry that head off the engine. He actualy broke the cylinder head into two pieces lengthwise! crazy