ZZ454 Oil Pan does not fit ...

Mike Brichta

Well I dropped my ZZ454 engine into my 70 El Camino tonight only to find that the oil pan sits on top of the crossmember and will not let the back of the engine down enough to mate with the trans housing. I'm sure someone out there has dealt with this problem before me since these engines have been out for a few years and El Caminos, Chevelles and Montes should all have the same problem. What is the best way to solve the problem? Does GM make a pan that can simply be swapped out?

Thanks!!

Mike

Yup, those oil pans won't work on Chevelles and Caminos. They DO work on Montes though.

I think This is the kit you need or you can go with a Moroso or Milodon pan and pickup. I know some other people on the site have use nicer oil pans than the stock one as well. Royce and Dave will hopefully chime in.

yeah they put truck pans on those..go figure.....The big problem is that they have the one piece seal so your choices are limited. The one Scott listed will bolt right up, the only downside is that it's a 4 quart pan. If it's just going to be street driven that should be just fine, I had that on my 502 for years with no issues. If you want something with more capacity you will have to go with a aftermarket race type pan like Scott mentioned. The one I have now is a Canton...Dave

When I purchased my ZZ502 the dealer told me right up front that the pan would not fit, so I bought a Moroso 7qt which worked well. I also had to have the Moroso oil pickup. Not sure what the number was, but could look it up if you need it.

What the heck was GM thinking putting truck oil pans on their crate motors? Maybe they have a surplus of truck oil pans?

You would think that GM would offer a "car" oil pan that could be purchased as a replacement or ordered that way when the engine is ordered.

Does anyone have a number for GMPP Tech Support? I can't seem to find one on their website. I would like to know what GM says is the replacement option so the warranty is not affected.

I really like the frame cutting and welding idea. That way I do not have to touch the crate engine at all. I am a little nervous about using a 4 quart pan. Am I just being paranoid? I do not intend to race the engine but would like to push it on occasion. Anyone else use a 4 qt pan?

Mike

I suppose they came with truck pans because they were the only vehicles still using the big-block. But I agree with you that big-block crate motors (especially the carbureted ZZ454 and ZZ502) should be available with car-friendly pans.

As for using the 4-quart pan, for street use no problem. After all, didn't the big-block Montes/Chevelles come from the factory with this size pan?

I checked my 2010 GMPP catalog and did not see a tech support number. It does have a listing of authorized dealers - perhaps you could call your local GMPP dealer and inquire. Maybe they could give you a number to call.

I did not know that the factory big block oil pan capacity was only 4 quarts instead of 5. That would make me feel better about the 4 qt option. I'm surprised that there is no easy to find tech support number for GMPP. I guess I will just have to call the local GM dealer and see what they tell me.

just to let everyone know,the truck pan that comes on the zz454 will work in the monte without any interference with the frame.

one more reason to go monte insteed of chevelle.

with the engine set back further in the monte its an easy fit.

bob

Well I called a local GM dealership and spoke to the "Parts" and "Service" departments and neither one has a number to call for GMPP Technical Support. Anyone out there with GM contacts?

That doesn't make sense...who would you call if there was a warranty issue?

In a roundabout way that's what you have.

In the warranty section of the catalog there is an address given -

Direct any inquiries to:

General Motors LLC

Consumer Relations Dept.

P.O. Box 33136

Detroit, MI 48232-5136

Not much help if you're looking for a quick answer.

The warranty section of the catalog is two pages of fine-print "lawyerese." Didn't see your specific question covered, but I did get a headache after two paragraphs.

With both my BB and SB crates ,the dealer whom I bought them from took care of any warranty issues.I did have some problems with the SB and I had to take it to them for repair. They also was in contact with the Tech support on my problems.

They also told me that the pan would not fit ,but he was a chevelle guy.I bought a 7qt mildon and pickup thru them but I think it come from a local speed shop.

The prt# on my 7qt Milodon is #30955, fits perfect and no clearence problem ,reused the pan gasket that came on the crate and no issues. also fits up about flush with the crossmember.

Don't have the pickup screen # but summit or jegs should

Terry

Guys - in my GM performance catalog, they make a pan kit that is exactly what you need: a 4 qt pan, Chevelle friendly, for Gen VI motors.

But my catalog is at home......

I'll see if I can dig up the part #.

Well I called a local GM dealership and spoke to the "Parts" and "Service" departments and neither one has a number to call for GMPP Technical Support. Anyone out there with GM contacts?

I have that Chevelle pan if you need one....Dave

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your help, advice, etc. After many phone calls I was finally able to verify from a GMPP person that the correct fix to the problem is PN: 12495360 (as many of you have said). I suspected that was going to be the final outcome but I wanted to hear from GM that the part number was correct and changing to that kit would not void the warranty.

Dave - Do you just have the pan or do you have the whole kit?

Thanks!!

Mike

Mike,

FWIW, I run the 4 qt GMPP oil pan on my supercharged 454 HO for several years now without any problems...

I bought it with the crate engine, dealer told me so...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your help, advice, etc. After many phone calls I was finally able to verify from a GMPP person that the correct fix to the problem is PN: 12495360 (as many of you have said). I suspected that was going to be the final outcome but I wanted to hear from GM that the part number was correct and changing to that kit would not void the warranty.

Dave - Do you just have the pan or do you have the whole kit?

Thanks!!

Mike

Mike I have the pan, the reusable one piece gasket and the pickup.. the pan has a couple of scrape marks but nothing serious....Dave