Gauge & Dash Silver Stripping

cpmman

Just painted the dash and now wondering the easiest way to put the silver pinstripping back on around the gauges and dash itself.

Somone said there is a paint pen you can use but not sure where to get one with the proper color.

Any ideas or advice from prior experience?

Is the silver strippping even needed?

Pick up a Testors Paint Marker #2546C Silver Argent at a hobby shop or Goggle it on line. Also the Krylon Silver Leafing Pen at any Fabric Store will also work with pretty good results. Just remember nothing will look as good as the plastic chrome. No one has ever perfected a process that would be cheap to apply. Believe me I have tried everthing. Good Luck.

I did mine with the Silver paint pen. I'll have to see if I can find a picture, or run out and take one smile
;)Ditto

I bought my pen at Michaels which is sort of a craft store on steroids down here. I am very happy with the results and I did 2 coats on mine since most of my silver trim around the gauges was mostly gone.

Mike

Allan,

Your dash looks great... I just finished a new coat of dark saddle all over it and now need to add the silver...will use your pics as where to apply the sliver..

Question: Why did you paint or worry about the black? The Monte has the wood grain panel to cover the black area.

Thanks

Rick

I used the silver paint pen also and was happy with the results. Allan's silver looks great but I repainted mine like it was from the factory. Also did the steering wheel. smile

the factory chromed the entire dash

then masked it off and painted it black.

if you scratch an original dash, you will find the chrome under the paint smile

When had the dash out, I used a Q-Tip to apply some plain bumper chrome paint and it came out nice. I just regret not having done the vents also.

Allan looks really good with the white gauges. Aaron, nice classic look.

I did the same as Allan with the silver around the gauges, I also didnt do the black on the rims towards the gauge,and dont like the look around the directional signals and high beam indicator, funny how Allan mentioned the same thing!

I used the LED's from WhiteGauges also, just didnt do the overlay thing.

I need to do the black around the indicators,just dont think it looks right all silver!

26213280134_large.jpg

I also used a silver metallic painters pen from an arts and crafts store. One thing I found was that the pen came with a squared-off tip which wasn't easy to work with. But the tip pulls out of the pen and it is rounded on the other side- this is much easier to make clean lines with.

Yes Rick, all the parts stores should have them. I dont know the #s offhand, Im sure others here do,and I know its in the owners manual.

Good to see the FGMCC MEMBER badge also by the way grin

edit...Allan beat me to it

Yea..joined tonight.. I am loving working on the Monte..it is becoming a bit of an obsession..! Even when my GF is here I want to work on it but need to refrane...

We will be at the Easten GM meet in June...maybe see you there...

Car is coming out beautiful. The paint is flawlwss and a mile deep. Big money was spent on the body work.

I am very fortunate to have bought it before it was advertised.

This is site has been invaluable for information and parts I just had to join..

Pics will be posted soon...

Rick

Originally Posted By: cpmman
The Testes Silver paint works great!!!

I'm not going there...and don't post pics.

HAHAHA. Never saw that before. LOL