Gauge & Dash Silver Stripping

cpmman

Originally Posted By: cpmman
The Testes Silver paint works great!!!

I'm not going there...and don't post pics.

exactly what I thought mark!

HAHAHA. Never saw that before. LOL

Yea, most stores don't carry the Silver. Brass is the #1 seller.

• 1 year later...

Paint may not suitably match your chrome. You can fix chrome scratches with a self adhesive metal foil commonly used in model making. I considered a reproduction dash, but it had that "painted silver look." The metal wood grain is glued to the 1970 dash and it can not be removed. So, having the dash rechromed was out.

Here's the foil. Use the #001. The #004 is too thin to work with.

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

It is highly polished aluminum foil with pressure senitive adhesive on the back side.

It may sound horrible, but it isn't that bad taking the dash out of the Monte. After I did mine, I was able to get another out of a junk yard car within an hour.

I took off everything off the inside of the dash that would come off. I think there was at least one bracket remaining. I very carefully masked where I didn't want to paint using regular 3M blue tape. I painted several black coats with Krylon semi-gloss black plastic paint #2421:

http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-2421-Fusion-Spray-Paint/dp/B000C0158E

I then set it on the dining room table for a project that lasted at least 6-months. I borrowed a 6X binocular microscope that made seeing what I doing possible. If you are used to working by the braile method, this isn't your job. It is much more visual than tactile. You might be able to use a ring light magnifier. I could only work on it for a short while until the eyeballs decided I'd be better off with a margarita. I used an Exacto knife and burnishing tools such as a ball on a stick and an angled chop stick. I cut strips on the BARE-METAL sheet then peel them up holding one end with the exacto knife. Cutting then to size was more time consuming than cutting them wide and then triming to size. I'd put on wide strips and then very carefully cut them after they were in place and burnished to the dash plastic. On the small curved items like the turn indicator lights, I cut curved strips. The three large gauge holes could be done with straighter strips.

If the foil has a wrinkle, it will tear there very easily. Sometimes it is broken in many places when you buy it. I got foil from the manufacturer and from model shops. Don't buy horribly wrinkled foil.

You should also have an Arkansas hard stone to resharpen the Exacto. It has to be very sharp to cut and not bunch up the foil. It's easier to make straight cuts with a slighty rounded tip compared to the #11 Exacto sharp point.

The keys to doing this successfully is 1) a lot of patience and 2) some way to magnify the work.

The results are stunning.

Yes Rick, all the parts stores should have them. I dont know the #s offhand, Im sure others here do,and I know its in the owners manual.

Good to see the FGMCC MEMBER badge also by the way grin

edit...Allan beat me to it

Just in case the OEM bulbs should be 194 so they are available everywhere even Wally World.

I too put in LED's but mine came from work so didn't cost me a dime...a perk...but yes need ones that have LED facing UP (from the base) to make them really effective and not too big same size as the standard peanut bulbs.

They do make a difference.

DashlightsLED.jpg

And I need to paint mine too so glad to read all the comments and suggestions here...

Scott

Just painted the dash and now wondering the easiest way to put the silver pinstripping back on around the gauges and dash itself.

Somone said there is a paint pen you can use but not sure where to get one with the proper color.

Any ideas or advice from prior experience?

Is the silver strippping even needed?

Hey Rick , here is a picture of the dash in my 70 chevelle SS I just redid the housing last summer, sure it doesnt have the wood grain like our montes but it sure worked for me, I even got to do the letters for the wipers and lighter as well as the steering wheel center. It was done with a paint pen as you mentioned, sure I live up here in Canada but I went to the Craft store my wife use to go to for crafts and art supplies called "Michaels" and they have what they call Silver paint pen but for the life of me I dont know why they call it a paint pen as it had no little ball in there to shake it up before use as it looked more like a Liquid felt marker and worked great and looked way more closer to Chrome that silver even though the pics make it look silver in person it looks chrome for sure...Hope that helps with any location ideas...

Darren.

1970071.jpg

Darren I saw the pen you are talking about I think at Michaels. Do you remember the name? The one closest to me did have one but kinda pricey, but if it does look like chrome I'm in...may check the other one in Whitby as well but want to be sure I'm looking at the same pen. It was like 18.00 or something similar. I was thinking will it look like silver or chrome? I also have a model to do some touch ups on if it works out would be GREAT for my Monte Model I found and plan on painting to match the car.

Thanks

Scott

I used the Testors paint pen. It is bright silver but not quite chrome. I think it looks pretty good for the amount of effort required. There are some areas I left the original chrome and you have to look pretty close to see where I used the pen to see the difference.

I'm not sure what the Sharpie one is like. It it paint or ink?

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted By: Canuck

HAHAHA. Never saw that before. LOL

Yea, most stores don't carry the Silver. Brass is the #1 seller.

Followed by blue.

Hey Guys, I started a new thread posting under our New Products section on the marker that lots have asked about....

Darren.