4 speed shifter question

Jamez70

• 2 weeks later...

The Chevelle Muncie shifters are one to thier own. The thing bolts to not only the trans but also the crossmember. I bought a repop for my 68 and decided it was junk and bought a Hurst instead. But the Hurst shifter is dictated by what type of Muncie trans you have. Most are either 451 or 453 the difference being whether your shift arms bolt on or have studs. It does get confusing and I did much homework til I got it right.

The Chevelle Muncie shifters are one to thier own. The thing bolts to not only the trans but also the crossmember. I bought a repop for my 68 and decided it was junk and bought a Hurst instead. But the Hurst shifter is dictated by what type of Muncie trans you have. Most are either 451 or 453 the difference being whether your shift arms bolt on or have studs. It does get confusing and I did much homework til I got it right.

I does get confusing,I think I called sumitt and told them to send me a short travel shifter for a rock crusher trans and they sent me what I have.(Hurst Comp.shifter)

Originally Posted By: RichG
Console or no console makes a difference as well.

Yup Bucket and bench shifters are different.

the hump on the floor is different too

the only difference to the shifters is the handle, the shifter "itself" is the same

Sam, I should have worded it that way. When you buy from hurst you order the shifter body and handle based on application. The shifter based on tranny and handle based on your interior.

Sam, I wish I had those pics before ordering a repop Muncie shifter from Ausleys. I tried throwing threw thier front window and it only went as far as the lot in front of my shop. Turns out they are North of me, not South. When doing a conversion, you have to have the original crossmember. Ground Up sells the bracket, but Ausleys no only does not sell it, they don't mention it either. Went with a Hurst Comp Plus and could not be happier.

Sam, I wish I had those pics before ordering a repop Muncie shifter from Ausleys. I tried throwing threw thier front window and it only went as far as the lot in front of my shop. Turns out they are North of me, not South. When doing a conversion, you have to have the original crossmember. Ground Up sells the bracket, but Ausleys no only does not sell it, they don't mention it either. Went with a Hurst Comp Plus and could not be happier.

Andy you make me laugh!!!

lmao laughlaugh

Bonesy, the shifter made by Dynacorn seems like a good piece. Took a month to get. But it suffered from TOB syndrome. Nice to look at but worthless if you are missing the small stuff, like the bracket that is welded to the crossmember. Top that with working with a 451 case Muncie, you get two sets of mounting holes to play with on the tailshaft. And with the Muncie shifter, you are only using one.

If it helps, the right shifter for a console 68-72 is 3918014. It even comes with a handle and knob.

Quote:
Dan, did you catch the dates on the posts? They were 2001.

No, I didn't look closely. I'm trying to pay attention to the weather forecast, too. 20+ in. of snow on the way for our area this afternoon and tonight w/40 mph winds.

Hurst may do Muncie shifters or at the least, they may know who has the parts. It would be worth an email or call.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed last night that OPGI has at least 2 parts that can be used in an original shifter rebuild in their latest catalog that came last week.

The catalog shows a nylon washer with the nut, and the website has it in the text, but not in the photo.

Dan