How can you tell what size engine in your car?

Kane

I recently bought a 1970 Monte Carlo It has front bucket seats and center console with automatic floor shifter. The person I bought the car from said He thought it was a 350 motor but he wasn't for sure. It needed a new starter So, I took the starter off and it said on the starter Delco Remy so, I took the starter to Auto Zone to get another one. Every starter they brought me was not matching up with mine. The starters they show for a 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 350 with a 4barrel carb had a offset bolt pattern. The starter I have the bolt pattern is side by side. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

How is the bolt pattern on your starter and how do your valve covers bolt on. You probably have a early sb or a late model the starter they were going to give you is very common. You can either try to find someone who will help you by pulling several years or get the casting number off the back of the block on the driver side.

Welcome to the FGMCC site and congratulations on being fortunate enough to own one of the best, and most beautiful cars ever made.

I'd look at the starter mounting surface on the block to make sure that the holes for either type starter aren't already there. It's worth a look. Check here. I put 68 Chevelle 350 in the search and they had both types listed for them. One of the 2 that has the same pattern as yours on their site is #3664. It'll fit your car.

Dan

What's up everybody I appreciate the advice everyone gave. I check the valve covers and they have four bolts. I also look at the engine block and It only has two bolt holes side by side. I believe that its like Mikstudie suggest it's a earlier 350. I took it to a place that rebuilds starters and alternators. They rebuilt the starter. I put it back on the car and the car started right up. The motor is strong. I also put a brand new alternator with a internal voltage regulator. The car already had HEI distributor on it. As soon as I learn how to post pictures I will. Thanks again for the help.