Decoding Trim Codes??

jays55

I haven't unpacked my Chevrolet by the numbers book since our move.

The Chevrolet By The Numbers book is well worth the asking price, and is a great resource to have and refer to.

You need to unpack it! lol

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the site, Mark! smile

13587 = Monte Carlo. The B on the first line shows your car was built at the Baltimore plant. I think maybe you should check that 995375 again. It is a very high number and maybe not correct.

394905344.jpg

This is mine. 769 is Medium Saddle vinyl bucket seat interior. Yours is 757 Black vinyl w/buckets. Note the paint code of 55 H on the 2nd line of my tag. The 55 is for Champagne Gold body color and the H is for Dark Gold vinyl top. Your body color code was left blank indicating that it was a special order color. The B indicates the car had a Black vinyl top from the factory.

02D shows the car was built during the (D) 4th week of (02) Feb. The other line 3 codes show up on the build sheet and don't give any information about the specs of the car.

The cowl tag decode information in the FGMCC tech section is not correct. I think it's for models built before 1970.

Dan

Trying to show a pic of the tag. Thanks for the quick help and for the welcome. got this monte carlo from my dads estate. It's been a long battle with my brother showing his butt and taking from the guys garage that was restoring it. I still don't have the title for it yet. I'm waiting on it the courts told him to get it or go to jail. All that needs to be done is spray the paint the top and a little inside work. It only has 80 some thousand miles. I have look every where trying to find the paint color. The numbers was right I try to paste a pic of the tag. If you can't see let me know how I can send you a copy. I seen where you have to have it on the web already so I put it on my Facebook page. Thanks again for the help and this looks like a great site to be a member to. So it looks like it's dues time lol. a> [/img]

Welcome Mark. This is a great group of people here.

Linking to Facebook does not work anymore it seems. You need to load it to Photobucket or Picturetrail (or similar web site) and then link it here.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your car. smile

man I went to that site to decode my body tag and Im kinda mad at what I found out...

according to the site my Montes original color was Golden Brown which I never liked(lol) but it orignially came with a Light Covert vinyl top color and the same color interior...it looks like the most used color combo in 72....but when I got my car..it was Golden Brown with a black vinyl top and all black vinyl interior.. I think the lighter color looked better with Golden Brown..wish I woulda got it that way....man!

To ID the original color, look in the trunk at the underside of the package tray. Lots of times, when a car is repainted, this area near the trunk lid springs doesn't get painted real well and the original color will still be there. Also, the top of the package tray will likely have the original paint under the hardboard cover. Check behind the door panels, under the carpet at the door sills, anywhere the factory overspray may still exist.

Dan

yeah overdrive..in the trunk the trunk arms are that brown color as well as the bottom of the pacakge tray and trunk lid..all golden brown..as well..but the interior is all black as well as the vinyl top..before I took it off!!