Loud STARTER HELP

robs70monte

The starter in the Monte went just stopped,Put a brand new re man starter i had and its loud as hell its a wining sound like its to close to the starter so i shimmed it out took 2 shims and a half a shim in it had the proper clearance i used a paper clip to check it but it still makes the same noise and the starter doesn't disengage all the way when cranks and this is with it not starting up ignition disabled so i got to my chevelle the starter strongly disengages like its being pulled back electrically my Monte just kinda slowly disengages and if i hit it with my hand it pops in what gives

I never heard of the paper clip method. It is not uncommon to add or delete shims when replacing starters. Did you try another shim? The bendex on the starter could be bad also

I was in a hurry and bought a starter from Advance auto. No amount of shimming would get the noise out of it. I ended up changing the bendix, used one from an old starter. Quieted it right down, no shims needed. I don't trust the stuff, rebuild your old one probably just needs brushes

Update tried another starter did the same thing as the re man starter i only have 2 shims and a half shim i was told that there should be a 1/8 of clearance on the gears and to check with a paper clip or drill bit i used both, the old starter had no shims on it, as of right now im getting tired of taking out and putting back in starters

A paper clip works pretty good. Use a standard paper clip, not one of the larger ones...it should be close to .035 thick, or similar to your spark plug gauge thickness.

I'm seeing specs from .020 to .060 for clearance, measured with the teeth meshing as shown in this picture:

84903020.GIF

I have even seen in some cases where you shim only one side. Something I would do also is use the wire guage as a starting point. Then start adding or removing shims and see if it quiets down. If you need more shims I seem to remember the "help" section at Schuck's stocks them. If you do go get new starter bolts you might want to pick up some. At least you don't have to drop the starter all of the way out to change shims. But I hear what you are saying-there are definatly better ways to spend your time. But think of it this way-If you spend the time now you won't grit your teeth everytime you go to drive the Monte. BTW I agree with Mike57 once you find a starter that sounds good keep it and re-build. David

Ok guys i got it it was the bent starter bolts one shim. i have it set to .35 mm of gear mesh its a lot quieter im sure it could be quieter but its good for now iv herd way louder

Thanks for the help i liked the pic

Hey Rob, I knew of a guy that had a 70 chevelle that changed starters and it made a heck of a racket even with shiming it lots or not the sound was ridiculous. when it was bench tested it was fine, but what was discovered late in the game was when comparing the old one with the new one the Bull nose on the new starter where the bendix shoots out the gear was slightly longer and what the problem was the bendix was shooting out the gear so far it was overshooting the flywheel slightly and the gear backstop was hitting the flywheel as well as the gear.. John went with a Wilson rebuild instead and the bullnoses were identical and absolutly NO noise at all..... the size difference was almost hardly noticeable but you had too look real hard at it to see it.......

Darren.

Hey Rob, I knew of a guy that had a 70 chevelle that changed starters and it made a heck of a racket even with shiming it lots or not the sound was ridiculous. when it was bench tested it was fine, but what was discovered late in the game was when comparing the old one with the new one the Bull nose on the new starter where the bendix shoots out the gear was slightly longer and what the problem was the bendix was shooting out the gear so far it was overshooting the flywheel slightly and the gear backstop was hitting the flywheel as well as the gear.. John went with a Wilson rebuild instead and the bullnoses were identical and absolutly NO noise at all..... the size difference was almost hardly noticeable but you had too look real hard at it to see it.......

Darren.

Yet one more reason I do not like rebuilt ANYTHING!

If you saw how they rebuild these things, you would never buy them!

Fix your own or have your own fixed! If you can't, KEEP THE CORE till everything checks out OK.

Just my two cents.......

Bruce

im not sayin this is what is wrong with yours but wanted to share an expirence i had a month ago. i bought a truck from buddy. 77 chevy with 454. he had just had starter rebuilt and nose pc replaced. i had trouble with it. shimmed it everything. finally i talked to the local guy here who rebuilds starters. he said they shouldnt ever need shimmed unless some has resurfaced nose peice. got to looking on computer. came up with people havin trouble with the same thing. 77 had a starter with 3/8 bolts. newer ones had 10mm bolts. i compared bolts to holes. they were sloppy as can be. it would start a few times then move. i also put the front bracket on starter to block. bingo! works perfect. make sure someone didnt put the wrong nose on it.

I have The right cone I have like 10 starters,I did learn that big block and small starters are the same all most I got it one shim on the outer bolt moved it in just a little now its nice and quite, this is the first time gave Me such a hard time