Help on Rocker Panel retainer clip?

Hey all,

Putting outside trim back on the Monte & came across a question I have no answer for and thought you all might have it.

The driver side rocker molding is missing a clip (the furthest one back) by the wheel well. It is different than the rest as it has about a 3/16" dia recessed hole thru the center of the clip that a screw goes thru to secure to the body. The drivers side is missing! Any ideas on where one might be located? The original was likely broken at some point and they used a double back type tape as the fix.

Any help greatly appreciated on where to locate a correct replacement.

All have a GRREATY day.......... grin

Doug

If you are talking about the long lower trim peice, I have a few of the original clips from my 72 I could give you.

For that lower long peice of rocker trim, I would recommend the Auveco #8400 nylon fastener. Thse work great for that trim and don't scratch up the paint like the original metal ones. They fit in nice and tight to the molding. I just ordered some at the local parts store and they are not very expensive.

https://www.auveco.com/eSource/ecom/common/prodesc/pdf/596.pdf

Looked at the auveco page Aaron & did not recognize the clip I am needing. This is for the lower driver side rocker molding (the long piece) & is the last clip on the rocker by the rear wheel well.. This clip is different from the rest on this molding. It is actually fastened to the body with a screw. It has a recessed 3/16" diameter hole thru it that the screw would fit thru and secure into the body. I'm guessing it was broken at some time ago from previous owner and the fix was a double sided tape that held it up to the body. All other clips are there and functional. This one may not even be made anymore and I can go another route to secure it but just thought there may be a replacement available. It is a platic clip, just has the recessed hole thru the center for a screw that secures clip to body. It is kind of hard to explain but thought my description might help.

Doug

Home Depot and Lowes have a very good hardware selection. YOu could try there. I dont remember what was in there on my car,but Im sure you can find something to work. sounds like just a push in clip that expands when you run a screw into it.

If you can get to one of the hardware stores, there is a very complete autobody section of retainers and clips in there, we have run to Home Depot in a pinch often and always found the right clip

OK, now I know what you are looking for. Like Tony said, maybe the hardware store will have the thing you need. My local auto parts store has a rack of automotive clips and fasteners. Maybe browse through one of those and see if you see something that works.

I probably have a handfull of them out in the garage, I buy them buy the bag, there are many places on our monte's where they are used, think a bag of ten was like $3.59

Hey Sam,

I think this one I am looking for is sort of unique from the other clips on the rockers. It is the only one that will accept a screw to secure it onto the body. Not sure but the screw may also act to expand clip to help secure molding in place. Looking at the one on the passenger side, it is clearly different from the others. The driver side clip is missing. I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement that will work. Just need to look around and see what may do the trick.

Doug

I know which one you need, they make them in different sizes, I have them at work too, all different sizes, I should be rolling my 4 spd out of the trailer today and I'll look at it to see which one you need, you can measure the size of the hole and go to the parts store and get some, they are used for the headlight bezels, tailight chrome trim, lics Plate (larger one), they just push it and take a #6 or #8 screw

They're actually a little different than the headlight trim style fastener. They have the square base that expands in the square hole when you run a screw into it, but they are raised to allow tightening the screw and not mashing the rocker trim. Doug, I probably have new ones in my rocker molding set and I also saved the old ones. I'll check in the next couple of days and I can send you one.

Dan

Hey Dan,

That would be awesome 2beers if you can spare it. And thats the one that is needed. Currently using tape to hold it onto the body until something more appropriate comes along.

Just let me know what ya find and we can work from there.

Thanx much.....

Doug

Quote:
I probably have new ones in my rocker molding set

Well, I checked this evening and I didn't get any of the rocker molding fasteners with the molding. frown I bought the Auveco clips thru Tony a couple of years ago, but I don't have replacements that fit in the square hole. Sorry that I got your hopes up. I only have this broken one and the other one that's still on the car. I'll probably end up breaking it too, when I remove it. The circular part is 3/16" thick. We may have to buy something close and modify it with a small spacer. The license plate fastener may be a good start, but I haven't compared them yet to see if it fits the rocker hole. Maybe we'll luck out and they'll fit fine with no mods.

397221948.jpg

Dan

Really appreciate you looking Dan. I'm sure I will be able to find a useable fastner. With your guys advise is going to narrow down my search greatly. Not a critical need as I can rig it to work until I come across the best replacement.

You have a GREAT day Dan.......

Doug