Leaking HeadGasket

70 Iron

Hi guys,

I'm leaking a small amount of Antifreeze when the engine is cold but seals when warmed up.I noticed on startup in the mornings there's a small amount, about a teaspoon/tablespoon size leaking from the left rear of where the block and head meet but after driving it and shutting it off ,I have no leak not until it cools and restart. Do you think I can retorque the head bolts or am I needing a gasket replaced.I'm thinking of trying block sealer if retorque doesn't work. The engine is the ZZ454 Aluminum heads. Opinions /comments will be helpful. confused

Thanks,Terry

You can try to retorque and use sealer and it may work but the question is how long will it work, retorqueing and sealer are a short term fix to a long term problem id plan on doing head gaskets soon

Hi Davey,

Its a small puddle on the floor,coming from the left rear of the engine.I jacked it up and seen where its coming from.

It doesn't appear to be coming from the top of the head and manifold but wet right at the bottom rear where it meets the block.

Terry

okay got the picture......I would be really surprised if it's coming from the block/head seal but you can re-torque the heads with no harm. Before you do anything like pulling the head I would pull the two rear intake manifold bolts, put some sealer on the threads and re-install them. I know it doesn't look like it coming from up there but you'd be surprised how that stuff gets around.... wink

Thanks Rob,I just checked the milage and when I bought the engine,it has 6,300 mi and this november it will be 2 yrs.I'm not sure but it may may have a 2 yr warranty.I plan on having it pressure checked next week before I call them,I guess it will show up with the test.

If not still under warranty I'll have the gasket changed later when I'm through using it for the yr.

Terry

Davey,When I start it later today or tomorrow,I'll run my fingers around the back and see if there's anything.I just felt around there but found nothing but its still warm and not leaking until it cools

Terry

well there is a guy on the Chevelle site who swore his was leaking oil from that same area on his ZZ502. Turned out to be the intake so I'm thinkin' 15 minutes to pull those rear bolts, seal them and put them back in is worth a try. The only coolant leak on my stock ZZ was the intake....

Quote:
The engine is the ZZ454 Aluminum heads.

Davey, any chance to warp heads if overheated? or worst case scenario is the block or heads are cracked. too much decking how about head gasket. Are those alum heads on a cast iron block?..trying to keep it interesting. whistle

anything's possible Rod but highly unlikely. Yes they are aluminum heads on a iron block but so are 99.9% of all the aluminum head BBC's that run without cracking or warping. Terry just has normal street miles on this car so I don't think it's anything that dramatic....unless he's been hittin' it with a 250 shot and not telling us.... wink

I'll get on that tomorrow or first of the week,what is the torque on the bolts that go in the Aluminum heads ??

Your right Davey ,just easy street miles,maybe a burnout in front of the house now and then ,just to let the passer byers know there could be danger lurking in the neighborhood :-).

Also its never been overheated or even close.

Thanks guys,I'll let you know

Terry

What would the intake bolts torque be ? I have them for the iron heads ,don't know if the aluminum is different. Thanks

Terry

Terry.

i torque mine to 25lbs for the intake bolts.

I agree with Dave, check the intake first.

Every couple of weeks I check my Intake bolts. You would be amazed how they get loose. I like them to be 25 to 30 foot pounds. It may be tough to get a torque wrench on all of them.

By the way I drive mine like a little old lady. Maybe a little burnout now and then.

Agree with the above regarding the offender being the intake. Coolant is probably running to the back of the block and following down the crease where the heads mate to the block. I had an issue with intake bolts coming loose from my aluminum heads and fixed it with Stage 8 locking bolts. Much like is used on headers. Haven't had an issue since. - Dave

yayyay,Guess what Guys ? I could'nt believe how loose they were !!I could of turn a couple with my fingers.I torqued what I could and used wrenches ect to get the others.I will keep an eye on them from now on.Started it and watched but no antifreeze ,left it run and kept watch .I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple of days to be sure.

Thanks for your help ,Please raise my dues 2beers

You all were a lot of help as usual

Terry