Which distributor

ScottNM

Mark knows his stuff, and you see that distributor being used a LOT (including me). My only recommendation would be to take it apart when you first get it, and tape off the bearings etc, and clear coat the aluminum that will be inside the cap, and also paint the 8 spoke mag pickup wheel. If you leave them as they come from the factory, they will corrode supposedly due to the high voltage in the cap area.

MSD Digital E-Curve. Has everything and is the easiest to set up for anything. No stupid weights or springs to fumble with, and precision curves. Built in rev limiter, and can be run with or without a box.

Been running the e-curve for 3 years without issue. Although I run it locked out the curves are easy to set once ya figure out the crazy inctructions. Built in rev limiter and start retard when your locked out is a plus as Justin stated.

David

Everything I`v read says, as stated, the OE HEI can`t be beat up to a certain RPM range.

No need for the higher dollar after market distributors in many cases.

Really going to depend on the motor and just what you want out of it. What it is capable of.

Originally Posted By: Winston Wolf
MSD Digital E-Curve. Has everything and is the easiest to set up for anything. No stupid weights or springs to fumble with, and precision curves. Built in rev limiter, and can be run with or without a box.

Been running the e-curve for 3 years without issue. Although I run it locked out the curves are easy to set once ya figure out the crazy inctructions. Built in rev limiter and start retard when your locked out is a plus as Justin stated.

David

Dont need a rev limiter,sm blocks go they dont blow..smilelol

I would rather use a "used" GM HEI than purchase a "REBUILT" one. Re-builders ruin most of what they touch. Always keep your core if you do go rebuilt so you have something to put back in when the rebuilt one doesn't work correctly.

Bruce

Hey Scott, I went with a complete Pertronix distributor and HEI guts and Pertronix 65,000 volt coil all for $260 in the chevelle which has a 454 in it and retains the Factory OEM look even on the coil once the pertronix stickers are pulled off.

Darren.