leak insde

abe72

I took the Monte out for a cruise this weekend (hope everyone enjoyed the holiday)and I noticed that my winshied was getting foggy around the vent area and also what appeared to look like "smoke or steam" coming out from the vents on the dash, not much,but visable. Upon returning home I checked the coolant levels and around the engine area for signs of leaks,coolant looked good and no signs around the engine. I then checked inside the car (under dash area) and I noticed some moisture at the bottom of the heater, not much but visable, the carpet was not damp, but did notice a few droplets of water dripping down.

I'm asking for help or suggestions on what the problem could be and possible fix.

Thank you in advance.

I took the Monte out for a cruise this weekend (hope everyone enjoyed the holiday)and I noticed that my winshied was getting foggy around the vent area and also what appeared to look like "smoke or steam" coming out from the vents on the dash, not much,but visable. Upon returning home I checked the coolant levels and around the engine area for signs of leaks,coolant looked good and no signs around the engine. I then checked inside the car (under dash area) and I noticed some moisture at the bottom of the heater, not much but visable, the carpet was not damp, but did notice a few droplets of water dripping down.

I'm asking for help or suggestions on what the problem could be and possible fix.

Thank you in advance.

Bad heater core

With or With out A/C?

I just did (2010) my 71 NON A/C car and took pictures. My only problem was the snow ball effect where one thing leads to another. Carpet was old, fire wall insulation was damaged, brake and E-Brake peddles were rusty, clock didn't work added three point safety belts, Replaced all hoses and coolant, check all the bulbs in the dash (perhaps change them all to the brighter GE 168 bulbs) Vent handles (one already broke) and so on. Here is a link to the pictures.

Bruce

Heater Core replacement NO A/C

Bruce,

Mine has A/C. Would that make a big difference on how to replace it? It"s also been suggested that I just bypass the heater altogether, this wouldn't hurt or cause other issues will it?

Thanks.

A new heater core is only about $25 bucks new, but the problem is the time to replace it. The easiest way to cure your problem, being that you live in Cali you probably dont need the heat too much, is to bypass the heater core, basically connecting the 2 hoses that go into it on the firewall together.

Like Bruce said, the snowball effect gets you, because "While your in there" always seems to get me too lol

I live in Michigan, always have. When a heater needs to be fixed, I fix it. If I never used the heater, I may not have bothered and just blocked it off. It's all about time and money.

Bruce

I think I'm gonna bypass the heater for the time being, seems like that is the quickest way to solve this issue. Bought a fitting for the heater hoses at pep boys and will take care of it tomorrow. I do live in Cali, really no need for a heater, least during the time of year when I will be driving the Monte (currently 71 degrees). Eventually I'm gonna replace the heater core, just to keep things right.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with your thoughts and opinions.

Bruce, I'm sure that the pictures you provided will come in handy when I tackle this project down the road.

Abe, a temporary fix is the old radiator stop leak. It's affective, but not long term. One would think, it never gets cold enough in Cali, if it's a car you drive on cold days. Replace the heater core, it's not that hard to do. So you may want to do other things behind the dash. It's better than not being able to drive on a cold Cali morning. Like to an early show & shine or to meet with the boys, and you wish you had a working heater. wink

Rod, would using the stop leak as you have suggested cause any other problems in the system. What brand do you recommend and how long do you think it would hold? I drive the Monte about once a week or so, mostly local runs.

Not anymore than the current state..it must have some form of corrosion, otherwise it wouldn't had sprung a leak. It's a temporary fix, and mind you, I've used it before and it'll hold quite good though you gotta keep your eye on it. As far as stop leak.. there's many out there. Two I have used successfully.. are Missouri Mule, & alumaseal. Now a lot of people will claim or frown on using anything that contains metal filings and that they may ruin water pump seals. I've never had an issue, although keep in mind if you back/flush or flush in any way, the leak will grow. A leaky rusty heater core will always damage your carpet. Nothing will remove the stain..Though I never used CLR. Oh! Bar's leak works if you can't find the other two.

Block it off for now and when you have the parts and time to fix it do it right. It does take time and you will probably end up replacing or fixing something else while you are in there so be prepared to open

can_of_worms.png

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions guys. My gut feeling is telling me to bypass for now. We still have a few more warm months 'till the mornigns start getting chilly, should be able to replace by then. From what I gather the core is not expensive (25.00 - 30.00) guess the cost is all in the labor and time.