Replacing Body mounts?

Murphy

I've discovered that I have 2 body to frame mounts that are trashed....under the doors, can these be replaced without removing the body? Are there access holes under the carpet?

Are there access holes under the carpet?

kicking

... sorry Murphy, I couldn't resist. If only it were that convenient. Theoretically though, you should not need to access from the top because the bolt comes from the bottom and screws into a nut plate or cage nut depending on the location. The problem is that due to rust (at least in my case), the nut plates simply don't release the bolt and it breaks in half or in the case of the cage nuts, they simply spin into their cages. Either way, odds are good you have to cut the floor and go in from the top to finish the job. And no you don't need to take the body off the frame but you do have to raise it enough to get the mounts out. You can raise one side of the car at a time. As pics are worth a 1000 words, here is my album linky on this great frustrating task. Most of the pics have a small write up to give you more. I know there are also others more talented than me who can also give you info on this. I also know that if your car has not spent its life in @#$%&* salt, you might be able to get the bolts out gently from the bottom without any floor cutting. Takes patience/luck and no salt in the car's diet!!! I got one bolt out that way, all others no such luck.

Good luck

THX for the info,the rear sets of mounts look good as I've done alot of trunk repair work. Dealing with rusted bolts/nuts has really been a battle. The drivers floor has many pinholes & is somewhat soft so I'm planning to replace a section of that floor anyway, a few more metal cuts/welds won't hurt if necessary.............Don't forget the choice words either.

For the reasons described above, I'm not looking forward to replacing my body mounts if and when I have to.

I recall reading a tip that seems like a really good idea, and it might increase your chances of getting the bolts out without a lot of trouble.

The tip was to drill a small hole in the floor directly above where the body mount is located and use it order to soak the top of bolt/nut with PB Blaster - Liquid Wrench or something similar. Repeat the application for a few days before attempting to loosen the mounts. The holes can be plugged afterwards.

I have not looked at mine to see what they look like or how hard they are to hard to or if you even see the nuts, but another tip I have used for shocks is to take a propane torch and heat the nut. Just a little heat can make it so much easier also.

Both are great ideas, so I'll be digging into this problem soon. The winter time here in Arizona is when I get all my work done as the garage is too hot during the summer. I keep reading various posts about people packing there Monte's away for the winter........that's why I moved to Phoenix years ago. Sick of the 5 months of Iowa winters!

Well, there's an issue with their height. They may look ok, but have been holding up a car for what now, 40 years? I'd guess they aren't as tall as they used to be.

I know when I put new mounts under my radiator crossmember it raised my front fenders and grille away from the front bumper. My old ones were bad enough that the grille was actually resting on the bumper. I can't imagine trying to replace only a few, seems it would be up there with upgrading only one shock absorber.

Don't forget there is an upper half holding the weight, and a lower half that's easier to see and always looks in much better shape....never mind that you nearly have to undo all of the mounts just to raise the body enough to change ONE.

If you haven't pulled one out yet, the assembly has a surprise inside! It looks real easy to take out the bolt and just slide the upper rubber bushing out sideways without the need to lift the body hardly at all! The surprise inside is the way the upper washer on top of the stack is constructed; it has a tube welded to it that passes all the way down nearly through the lower bushing. You can't slide the upper bushing out sideways at all until you can lift that washer & tube out, and it needs a surprising amount of room.

Most of the work is related to disconnecting all that you need to in order to separate the body from the frame, including removing all the body mount bolts. At that point it would be just plain silly not to simply replace them all as all the hard work is done. As was said before even though some might look OK, the rubber is 40 years old and has lost a lot of its strength. You'll be putting two firm mounts in the middle of a bunch of mash potato mounts. The new ones will undoubtedly be higher as well and cause stress points in those areas. Here is a pic of the left hand side mount #6 on mine to illustrate the difference 40 years can make.

DSCN3259.JPG

• 1 year later...

So I ordered my body mount kit from Dixie monte carlo, and body mount hardware kit. Am I retarded for not expecting it to be one side only? haha Has anyone else had this happen?

You will get both sides. The only thing odd I experienced was that the hardware kit bolts were a smaller diameter than the originals and there didn't seem to be enough of them. I used the kit bolts and nuts where I had to carve out the old cage nuts, and used the best of my old bolts when I was able to for the cage nuts that still worked.

I ended up sending the mounts and hardware back today and ordered a more complete kit from jegs that have the washers with sleeves and all the hardware included. SO today was a "soak to break up the rust day" while I worked on other things.

the one from opg is a good kit..i got poly bushings and luckly enough i can reuse all my old hardware..got all my bolts out except 2 of the front ones gave me trouble....yes if ya gonna do it..replace them all since u cant buy jus one or two.. what i found is that the part of the bushing you cant see is the part that is the worst for wear....

2013-01-21204752.jpg

these are jus how some of the bushings looked when i got them out

2013-01-25183643.jpg

here you can see how they can look good till they are all the way out...change em all